Sign in to follow this  
Notsofast

MTB over sand - how do I do it?

Guys,

Looking for tips on how to handle riding in sand. I am not talking about riding on the beach, but when riding fire trails near the beach there are small pockets of sand. Whenever I hit them with a bit of speed I come unstuck. 

How should I do it? For clarification they are not super deep or long, but front wheel wants to wash out whenever I hit them   

Thanks

NSF

On 23/09/2019 at 7:16 PM, Notsofast said:

Looking for tips on how to handle riding in sand...

Lower your tyre pressure (assuming that you haven't tried that already).  If you're running tubeless tyres you can go down to about 18psi, but that will cost you speed and control on harder surfaces.  If it's only short sections of sand then don't go too low.  Just experiment as to what pressures work best for the duration of your ride.

Also, try not to fight against the sand.  Your bike will move around a bit regardless of how fast you hit it, but try to go with it rather than fight against it and you may find that you have previously been over reacting to the bike shifting underneath you.  In my experience pedalling through it probably works better than bracing and rolling over it.

Note - I'm not much of a Mountain biker, but I do know a bit about trying not to fall off!

7 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Lower your tyre pressure (assuming that you haven't tried that already).  If you're running tubeless tyres you can go down to about 18psi, but that will cost you speed and control on harder surfaces.  If it's only short sections of sand then don't go too low.  Just experiment as to what pressures work best for the duration of your ride.

Also, try not to fight against the sand.  Your bike will move around a bit regardless of how fast you hit it, but try to go with it rather than fight against it and you may find that you have previously been over reacting to the bike shifting underneath you.  In my experience pedalling through it probably works better than bracing and rolling over it.

Note - I'm not much of a Mountain biker, but I do know a bit about trying not to fall off!

Thanks mate. That might be the answer. I think I try and power through it fighting to hold a straight line. 

Cheers

NSF

Very limited experience myself, but I encounter small stretches of sand riding up to Point Plomer. Agree, dont fight it to hold a straight line but I found going to a really small gear and keeping the cadence up helped with being stable at a slower speed. I kept tyre pressures up (60+) as I'm also on the hard packed stuff as well.

• Thanks 1