Lost in transition

ASICS - where are your racing flats

1 hour ago, Lost in transition said:

Has ASICS shut up shop for neutral racing flats in Australia? None of the local shops seem to stock them, and the only ones I can find on the ASICS website are DS Trainers.

Yup pretty much. I was racing in the Hyperspeeds which I loved. The only ones I could find were the Tatherzeals, I was going to buy them, but ended up with Nike 4%s.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com.au/ASICS_Gel_Tartherzeal_6_Mens_Shoes_Electric_Blue/descpage-AGTAM7.html

Thats a shame.  Thanks for te website site. I was looking at the Tartherzeal vs the Tartheredge. I think the Edge looks alright and seems to be bloody light.

I'd love 4%'ers but finding them, and dropping that much on a 'sometimes' shoe would have me in the dog house hahaha

What about the Nike Pegasus Turbo 2? Good for racing and training? What distance you planning on running? Don't think I could do a full on my hyperspeeds.

Just Sprint and Olympics.  Anything longer and im back in daily trainers.

Ah I didn't look at the pegasus turbos.I used to have Nike Lunar Racers but anything longer then 10km and I was going to pay for it the next few days haha.

1 hour ago, Lost in transition said:

Just Sprint and Olympics.  Anything longer and im back in daily trainers.

Ah I didn't look at the pegasus turbos.I used to have Nike Lunar Racers but anything longer then 10km and I was going to pay for it the next few days haha.

Turbos are the poor man's 4%s! Lightweight, good for racing and training. I can run 25km+ in them and they weigh 220grams.

I reckon those Tatherzeals would be good though, Cheap as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

Has ASICS shut up shop for neutral racing flats in Australia? None of the local shops seem to stock them, and the only ones I can find on the ASICS website are DS Trainers.

I know it's not the racing flat you're after, but the latest DS Trainer ( that you've mentioned) is excellent (for me, at least). Asics seemed to have lost their way a little with the DS Trainer and GT-2000 (racing/training) combo I've used for years, but I think they've turned the corner and are coming back.... I hope.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

I think there are two types of DS Trainers.

a) DS Trainer

b) DS Trainer race - which are the racing flat type.

Also, for something different.... look up ENDA. New elite running shoe out of Kenya. I have used them once for running but I have two others that I use as casual shoes because I love having a coloured shoe. (Green or Red). I wear Green with green tops, red with red tops.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Katz said:

I've (actually Stikman has also) gotten into Topo shoes recently. Light, flat and not too pricey. I love mine.

https://www.injinjiperformanceshop.com.au/collections/topo-athletic-footwear 

We bought last year models for half price. 

I like the look of the toe box on the Topo's.  Roomy like Altra shoes.  

If you go down the online route it is always going to be trial and error. To be safe always go 1/2 a size up first time. Better to get something that is half a size big and still acceptable than a shoe that is just that little bit too small and gives you massive blisters, which you never wear again. At least with a size to big.... its a another pair of casual/walking shoes that are perfect after a race where your feet are a bit swollen.

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

If you go down the online route it is always going to be trial and error. To be safe always go 1/2 a size up first time. Better to get something that is half a size big and still acceptable than a shoe that is just that little bit too small and gives you massive blisters, which you never wear again. At least with a size to big.... its a another pair of casual/walking shoes that are perfect after a race where your feet are a bit swollen.

Speaking of which, I have a pair of size 9 https://www.injinjiperformanceshop.com.au/collections/on-sale/products/topo-fli-lyte-2-womens in the purple, worn once for a 5k run, available if anyone wants them. :)