Ex-Hasbeen

UCI World Championships 2019

World Road Championships started last night.

A new event to the championships was the mixed TTT, with 3 men setting off first, the the 3 women replacing them as the 2nd man crosses the line. Are they doing this due to the popularity of the mixed relay teams?

Better than that though, the Cyclo-Cross World Cup event on last night in the US was live online this morning. That looks like so much fun. 

Junior ITTs tonight

Male Under 23 ITT & Female Elite ITT tomorrow night

Men's Elite ITT Wed Night.

I thought the Aussies might have put a team in. We would have a couple of strong performers wouldn't we? We have Male and Female world teams.

Durbo, Dennis and Meyer for the men, and Gracie Elvin, Grace Brown and Lucy Kennedy for the women (all over in Europe anyway). Seems like a pretty strong team to me.

Rohan Dennis shown warming up on the cycling Australia Instagram on his old BMC.... Who loves a bit of sponsor betrayalScreenshot_20190923-185858.thumb.png.47af835b7792517fdc7029a15100b72f.png

Screenshot_20190923-185903.png

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

On TV?

The TT's are online & on "SBS On-demand", and the Elite RR's are on Viceland.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The TT's are online & on "SBS On-demand", and the Elite RR's are on Viceland.

Thanks. I stopped being lazy and looked it up myself too 😉

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

World Road Championships started last night.

A new event to the championships was the mixed TTT, with 3 men setting off first, the the 3 women replacing them as the 2nd man crosses the line. Are they doing this due to the popularity of the mixed relay teams?

Better than that though, the Cyclo-Cross World Cup event on last night in the US was live online this morning. That looks like so much fun. 

Junior ITTs tonight

Male Under 23 ITT & Female Elite ITT tomorrow night

Men's Elite ITT Wed Night.

I can't wrap my head around it. Where are the women, at the start ramp?

37 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I can't wrap my head around it. Where are the women, at the start ramp?

Yeah. As the men cross the finish line, the women are given the gun to start.

https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2019/09/23/netherlands-power-worlds-gold-mixed-team-time-trial

41 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah. As the men cross the finish line, the women are given the gun to start.

https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2019/09/23/netherlands-power-worlds-gold-mixed-team-time-trial

Ah I see. looks look a great concept, will try and catch some footage tonight.

44 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Anyone know why Sarah Gigante isn't on the start list?

No idea. You would have thought she would have made it, especially after 2 have just pulled out, yet I haven't seen anyone making a big deal of it, which is even more strange, given she's National Champion.

Maybe they feel she is too young & needs further development?

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No idea. You would have thought she would have made it, especially after 2 have just pulled out, yet I haven't seen anyone making a big deal of it, which is even more strange, given she's National Champion.

Maybe they feel she is too young & needs further development?

Yeah maybe, although she's not on the junior list either 

It would be a shame if she's missing out due to something like funding 

I think they're only sending 1 male junior, so it may be that. Only sending someone that's a good chance of winning maybe?

• Like 1

I just watched highlights of the Junior Men's ITT. The Italian rider had a mechanical leaving the start ramp and required a bike change. he lost 30 seconds. He took the lead with 1km to go and ended up winning by 8 seconds. It was a phenomenal ride.

If you're riding a TT bike up there today, you have a better chance of landing in the US than a stranded Thomas Cook passenger!  

It is absolutely sheeting it down and very very windy.

5 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I thought he was trying to get down onto the top tube at first, but on replay I think he was just putting his hand back on the bars after getting a drink, then hit the bump & his arse slipped off the front of the seat.

Hell of a slide.

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Why the hell didn't he go around the water. Safety aside, you could see it was deep, which slows you down heaps.

yup!

10 minutes ago, zed said:

yup!

I think when you're physically at your absolute limit, you're probably not thinking too clearly.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

I think when you're physically at your absolute limit, you're probably not thinking too clearly.

That's probably true

I mean, I sometimes struggle at the best of times...

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

True. But then this isn't some hack that was pushing himself on a hard training ride. He's the Euro U23 TT Champion. It was a technical course, so he should have been concentrating.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

True. But then this isn't some hack that was pushing himself on a hard training ride. He's the Euro U23 TT Champion. It was a technical course, so he should have been concentrating.

He actually seems to steer into it rather than away from it...

4 hours ago, Limited said:

On a blacked out BMC

So riding a Merida makes you sad... I always had that suspicion

He didn't just win it. That was a phenomenal performance. His head was obviously in the right place for this one.

Impressed to see Evenepoel take silver, just 1 year out of the junior ranks. That guy could make some serious waves over the next decade.

• Like 1

Just found out Kayo is showing the junior women’s race live and has all the other races on replay on demand. Including the mountain biking and tts

Did anybody watch the U23 Championship race this morning. It was a great race. A split in the peleton due to strong winds, a few accidents, and then the closing 30km saw 3 groups within a minute all going hell for leather to either stay away from those behind, or catch the group in front. To watch the group of 3 catch the front 4 so close to the line, and then Eekhoff take the win from that back group was majestic. All this after coming off in an accident and having to pop his own dislocated shoulder back in before chasing back, 123km from the finish.

20 minutes later he was disqualified for sitting behind the team car for 30-60 seconds, which the race jury deemed "too long". There is no official ruling that states how long is too long. There was nothing told to the rider or team in the 3 hours between when this occurred and the finish of the race. They waited till after the excitement of a WC had sunk in, and then given him the news.

What a let down.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Could be some tricky conditions for the women today.  Mixed weather, very windy and that road surface looks a bit greasy.

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Mixed weather, very windy and that road surface looks a bit greasy.

So like pretty much every other day in Yorkshire. :)

Watching it now. Stunning countryside. I just can't get over how green it is. I haven't seen green grass in ages.

And there's sun shining on the hills.

• Like 1

This has been an incredible ride. It's making Gilbert's 55 km solo breakaway in Flanders look like a ride in the park.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

22 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Did anybody watch the U23 Championship race this morning. It was a great race. A split in the peleton due to strong winds, a few accidents, and then the closing 30km saw 3 groups within a minute all going hell for leather to either stay away from those behind, or catch the group in front. To watch the group of 3 catch the front 4 so close to the line, and then Eekhoff take the win from that back group was majestic. All this after coming off in an accident and having to pop his own dislocated shoulder back in before chasing back, 123km from the finish.

20 minutes later he was disqualified for sitting behind the team car for 30-60 seconds, which the race jury deemed "too long". There is no official ruling that states how long is too long. There was nothing told to the rider or team in the 3 hours between when this occurred and the finish of the race. They waited till after the excitement of a WC had sunk in, and then given him the news.

What a let down.

Re Peter’s post above. 

Sometimes Cycling is just a shit sport. The Commissars take the gold medal for merde ...

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Agreed, that really was quite f*cked

Did they at least warn him?

Have you watched all the footage? Initially I thought it was a dumb decision, but watched more of it, correct decision.

Men's road race distance has been reduced tonight due to flooding.

That vision is pretty damning.

Especially at the round about where the car waits for him to get back on.

7 minutes ago, roxii said:

That vision is pretty damning.

Especially at the round about where the car waits for him to get back on.

Yeah and doesn't show it all.  Over on CT, Doncha did a really good synopsis of the whole thing.

The weather looks horrible today! Thoughts were Aliphillpe was a good chance but he doesn’t like the wet apparently