Notsofast

Are there any benefits in converting a TT bike to a roadie?

Guys,

I am tossing up the idea of converting my old P2 to a roadie. Basically just changing over the front end (bars, shifters, brakes etc). Question is would the set up be of any benefit to riding my TT bike? I am thinking a similar position would help with conditioning (ie body position)

Obviously it is safer on road bars riding in a group. No intention of bike racing on it. 

Lastly, is it a difficult conversion?

Keen to know your thoughts. 

Cheers

NSF

Roxii or Parkside are your guys but I was under the impression that a tt bike's geometry makes it less suitable as a road bike (handles like a pig).

• Thanks 1

Comparing to an R3:

P2 is lower and longer, with greater stand over height.

You might be able to roadie it a bit by using a shorter stem and lifting the bars a bit, otherwise you're going to be stretched out a bit in a road position.

If you sit up on the P2 at present and rest your hands on the base bar, could you ride on top of your road bars like that for long?

What about if you had your hands on the hoods?

Then on the drops?

You might be able to franken-bike it, but would you be any better off than if you just bought a cheaper roadie in the right size?

Thanks guys. Just to confirm. I have a roadie that I love. I was just thinking would it be better to get used to the lower position with the different geometry? Whenever I transition from off season to tri season and pull the TT bike back out, my back gives me a bit of grief for a couple of weeks, hence the question. 

Cheers

NSF

22 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Just keep riding the TT in the off season?

I hear you but I ride in a group, all on roadies 👍🏼

9 hours ago, Notsofast said:

I hear you but I ride in a group, all on roadies 👍🏼

Maybe one ride a week on the TT, sit at the back of the group or put it on the trainer if you dont want to take it in group?

• Like 1

What do you do in tri season them?  Only ride your tt at races?

34 minutes ago, goughy said:

What do you do in tri season them?  Only ride your tt at races?

No mate. As I said above, usually ride roadie in off season and then get back on TT for Tri season (training and racing). 

Just to confirm my question, is there any benefit in riding a converted TT as a roadie in terms of body position adaptation?

i still have a TT and a roadie so it is not a question of if I only had 1 what would I do. 

Thanks

NSF

Nah mate. I would just spend more time in the drops as you get nearer to the season.

that way you can still ride with the bunch but work on your flexibility.

The added bonus is the roadies will  think you are badass riding in the drops 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Nah mate. I would just spend more time in the drops as you get nearer to the season.

that way you can still ride with the bunch but work on your flexibility.

The added bonus is the roadies will  think you are badass riding in the drops 

Perfect. Thanks mate. 

Makes sense

Cheers

NSF

• Like 1

With all the talk of the dangers of riding on the road by people on here, I can't imagine why you wouldn't ride the roadie more. It's much safer than the TT bike to ride, especially if there is traffic or other cyclists around.

And at least on the roadie, only motorists have a go at you. On the Tri-bike, motorists and cyclists do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2