Sign in to follow this  
dazmuzza

Cairns IM 2020

Getting in early with a thread. I just signed up last night for my first full distance - Cairns in 2020. Likely the last chance I have to do an IM before I hit the big 4-0! I'm really hoping that 8 months is enough time to train! 

Anyone want to point me in the direction of good advice of where to stay? I've heard the logistics of Cairns can be annoying. Preferably I'd like a place where my partner can have a good time as well and I guess be close to the finish!

• Like 1

Well if you want to be close to the finish, Cairns it is. Just means getting to the start on race morning on the shuttle. Some people also book one night near the start for Sat night if you want to do that.

• Like 1

Definitely stay in Cairns, instead of Palm Cove where the swim start is. Somewhere along the Esplanade, with plenty of food options and along the run course. The shuttle bus runs seamlessly. Even if you do not have a car on the days before the race, the shuttle bus to check in your gear and the bike transport service are very convenient. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Getting in early with a thread. I just signed up last night for my first full distance - Cairns in 2020. Likely the last chance I have to do an IM before I hit the big 4-0! I'm really hoping that 8 months is enough time to train! 

Anyone want to point me in the direction of good advice of where to stay? I've heard the logistics of Cairns can be annoying. Preferably I'd like a place where my partner can have a good time as well and I guess be close to the finish!

Separate transitions is a bit of a ball ache, but managed pretty well by race organisers. It does mean a pretty early start if you are staying in Cairns. I think my alarm went off at 3.30am so I could catch the bus. Stay in Cairns not palm Cove, or stay in Palm Cove until race day and get the missus to check out race day and move to a Cairns hotel. That way she gets to see both swim start and run finish and you get more of a lie in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zed said:

Separate transitions is a bit of a ball ache, but managed pretty well by race organisers. It does mean a pretty early start if you are staying in Cairns. I think my alarm went off at 3.30am so I could catch the bus. Stay in Cairns not palm Cove, or stay in Palm Cove until race day and get the missus to check out race day and move to a Cairns hotel. That way she gets to see both swim start and run finish and you get more of a lie in. 

That could be a winning tactic! Missus doesn't drive, so I presume it would be easy for her to transfer over to a cairns hotel?

Thanks everyone for the advice so far....

Edited by dazmuzza

4 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

That could be a winning tactic! Missus doesn't drive, so I presume it would be easy for her to transfer over to a cairns hotel?

Thanks everyone for the advice so far....

Palm Cove is heaps nicer than Cairns and has beaches, Cairns is OK, but busy and not as chilled, so yeah definitely recommend Palm Cove, also good as you can swim and bike the course, plus you're closer to Port Douglas for tourist day trip stuff. Would be pretty easy for her; watch you swim and maybe bike turnaround, then uber to new hotel in Cairns, unpack, time for a few Pina Coladas and then a pleasant stroll to the run course! Plenty of hotel options along the Esplanade that are right on the run course. 

• Like 1

I stayed in Port Douglas this year and really enjoyed it. Mosman gorge is worth a visit and really nice spot for a swim. If I was racing IM, I would be heading there for a recovery soak the day after the race.

• Like 1

I am in for 2020. I took the roll over option. I will be up for Mad Monday... I am doing the Magnetic Island to Townsville swim next July. I might as well take advantage of the Weather up this way and do a Ironman as a lead up😄

• Like 3

I am in, my first full IM too although I turn 4-0 in November🤐

Edited by Fresh
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

If your partner wants a good time she can stay with me :) LOL

• Haha 2

On 19 September 2019 at 1:17 PM, Chuckie M said:

I am in for 2020. I took the roll over option. I will be up for Mad Monday... I am doing the Magnetic Island to Townsville swim next July. I might as well take advantage of the Weather up this way and do a Ironman as a lead up😄

Chuckle, do you have a link to the sland swim FB page or website?  I have plans to do the island swim in 2021.

are you doing the magnetic island sprint Tri this year?

On 20/09/2019 at 5:54 PM, Greyman said:

Chuckle, do you have a link to the sland swim FB page or website?  I have plans to do the island swim in 2021.

are you doing the magnetic island sprint Tri this year?

Hi Greyman,

I won't be able to make Maggie tri .that is  Graham and his cult's race. I will be at Barraman. I hopefully will try and get a date soon for the swim . The TSV tourist swim club are a interesting bunch and not over friendly. I would like to get some Southern swimmers up to race in July...😉

Edited by Chuckie M