goughy

Changing the habit of a lifetime......

What are you trying to change?

Ok, this is a serious issue for me!  I carry my phone in my left pocket, but I hold it in my right hand.  So I'm trying to switch the pockets I keep my phone and my keys in.  It's friggin hard, and feels bloody weird.

I unclip on the right. This is bad as I lean into traffic when I do it.

I really want to unclip to the left but don't want to be that guy, falling off his bike at traffic lights

• Confused 1

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that if you make a conscious decision to do something 40 times in a row it becomes habit.  It requires a bit of effort but it seems to work.

3 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that if you make a conscious decision to do something 40 times in a row it becomes habit.  It requires a bit of effort but it seems to work.

Ah!  So I've had it wrong all along with the Ocsober and Dry July.  I needed to add an extra 9 days...  🤣

I also read that it is easier to kick a habit if you do it before you're 30.  I quit smoking at 29 after many attempts.  Best thing I ever did. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I really want to unclip to the left but don't want to be that guy, falling off his bike at traffic lights

Do you take off with your left foot pushing down first? and surf goofy? 

2 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Do you take off with your left foot pushing down first? 

He would have to, his right foot is on the ground. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Do you take off with your left foot pushing down first? and surf goofy? 

No right. (assume surfing)
But I write left handed.

Play tennis both hands  and golf right handed.

I'm pretty messed up 

Edited by Peter
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Ah!  So I've had it wrong all along with the Ocsober and Dry July.  I needed to add an extra 9 days...  🤣

I also read that it is easier to kick a habit if you do it before you're 30.  I quit smoking at 29 after many attempts.  Best thing I ever did. 

No wonder giving up the booze was so hard for me. (I quit after 30)

I'm currently trying to cut down my coffee intake. Day 4 & I'm not doing too bad.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

No right. (assume surfing)
But I write left handed.

Play tennis both hands  and golf right handed.

I'm pretty messed up 

Same here.  Basketball, free throw left handed but jump shots right handed.  I throw left handed, except when I played water polo where I threw right handed but caught left handed.  I write appallingly left handed, but golf and racquet sports right handed.  I have no idea which leg to start with when running.

22 minutes ago, goughy said:

Same here.  Basketball, free throw left handed but jump shots right handed.  I throw left handed, except when I played water polo where I threw right handed but caught left handed.  I write appallingly left handed, but golf and racquet sports right handed.  I have no idea which leg to start with when running.

I noticed one of the English bowlers in the last Ashes test bowls left handed but throws right handed.

22 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I noticed one of the English bowlers in the last Ashes test bowls left handed but throws right handed.

Sometimes that can be to rest his bowling shoulder and minimise the risk of injury to it. Some of ours do that from time to time.

Edited by Mike Del

6 hours ago, Peter said:

Or you could just learn to track stand.

17 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I was going to say that. I went a couple years commuting without my shoes coming out of the pedals. Simply put my feet in & out of them at the start & finish of the ride.

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

I’m 50.  Too old for that shit. 

On 19/09/2019 at 1:58 PM, goughy said:

I too am messed up with this.  Write left hand, play pool and shoot a gun left handed.  Handball a football left hand.  Kick a footy, tennis, golf, cricket all right handed!

14 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Triathlon. I'm done.  7yrs of trying to come back.

I need to step right away from cycling & running to see if I can get these knees entirely pain-free.

Sorry  to hear it mate. 

Id love to give you some tips but I still haven't got my head around it either, nor have I found anything else to adequately fill the void. 

Good luck. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Triathlon. I'm done.  7yrs of trying to come back.

I need to step right away from cycling & running to see if I can get these knees entirely pain-free.

I've tried to give up Triathlon and Running a few times but have failed miserably each time, but I also haven't had the chronic knee issues that you've had either.  I've always thought that the only way that I could give it up completely is to find something else to take it's place.  But that just led me to kayaking and multi-sport adventure racing so up until recently I was still swimming, biking and running etc anyway.

Look for an alternative, or at least limit yourself to the swimming (or paddling legs) of Team's events until you find something better.  Good luck with it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roxii said:

Id love to give you some tips but I still haven't got my head around it either, nor have I found anything else to adequately fill the void...

How was the paddling going?

What about if all us broken triathlete's plan some sort of paddling adventure??

4 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

How was the paddling going?

What about if all us broken triathlete's plan some sort of paddling adventure??

Having a break at the moment, believe it or not its even difficult getting into and out of the kayak as I cant rotate my hip.

Still swimming but its only once a week at best.  I miss the convenience of running more than anything else.  

Hoping to do a bit more swimming and paddling post-op if all goes well. 

Thanks for asking. 

• Like 2

Just now, roxii said:

Having a break at the moment, believe it or not its even difficult getting into and out of the kayak as I cant rotate my hip.

Bugger, sorry to hear that.  My knees used to ache a bit, but it was manageable.

We are definitely going to need to start a home for broken triathletes!

Good luck with the Op!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, roxii said:

Sorry  to hear it mate. 

Id love to give you some tips but I still haven't got my head around it either, nor have I found anything else to adequately fill the void. 

Good luck. 

Quitting lots of aerobic exercise has slowly been getting easier over the years, but I keep getting glimmers of false hope, then having it dashed as I try to ramp training up even a little.

36 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

I've tried to give up Triathlon and Running a few times but have failed miserably each time, but I also haven't had the chronic knee issues that you've had either.  I've always thought that the only way that I could give it up completely is to find something else to take it's place.  But that just led me to kayaking and multi-sport adventure racing so up until recently I was still swimming, biking and running etc anyway.

Look for an alternative, or at least limit yourself to the swimming (or paddling legs) of Team's events until you find something better.  Good luck with it!

I'll still swim (though a lot of pull & band now) and do gym work (maybe no legs though for a while).  And I have fishing, fly-tying & building model aircraft to keep me busy.  The biggest downer will not being able to cycle with my wife & the losing the endorphins of cycling/running.

But 7yrs of chronic pain is too much.  I'm setting myself up for permanent inflammation & pain, so need to get on top of it now.  It can be reduced/cured if I'm sensible.  Will try to do it drug free initially, but if that fails, will get back on the Celebrex for a few months.

Good luck CN.  I still can't accept it and will again soon start tri'ing again.....

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

We are definitely going to need to start a home for broken triathletes!

We do.  Its known as the Looney Bin.  You'll find plenty of triathletes there already.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Quitting lots of aerobic exercise has slowly been getting easier over the years, but I keep getting glimmers of false hope, then having it dashed as I try to ramp training up even a little.

I'll still swim (though a lot of pull & band now) and do gym work (maybe no legs though for a while).  And I have fishing, fly-tying & building model aircraft to keep me busy.  The biggest downer will not being able to cycle with my wife & the losing the endorphins of cycling/running.

But 7yrs of chronic pain is too much.  I'm setting myself up for permanent inflammation & pain, so need to get on top of it now.  It can be reduced/cured if I'm sensible.  Will try to do it drug free initially, but if that fails, will get back on the Celebrex for a few months.

So after 7yrs of doing your own research, you're back where you started?