Sign in to follow this  
Bored@work

Split Kona into male / female race

The 70.3 race worked extremely well with a separate race for men and women. 

I wonder if they will do the same for Kona. They can have more people racing over all. It will eliminate the pro women having to contend with fast age group males. 

10 hours ago, Bored@work said:

The 70.3 race worked extremely well with a separate race for men and women. 

I wonder if they will do the same for Kona. They can have more people racing over all. It will eliminate the pro women having to contend with fast age group males. 

And the male egos will feel better about not getting "chicked". Only time all season for me & it hurt. :)

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I wonder if they will do the same for Kona.

This is a fairly regular thought, but general consensus is they can't shut down Kona 2 days in a row.

And weren't you just complaining about them shoving more people into the men's race at Nice?

13 minutes ago, Tyno said:

This is a fairly regular thought, but general consensus is they can't shut down Kona 2 days in a row.

And weren't you just complaining about them shoving more people into the men's race at Nice?

I wasn’t complaining. I said the wait for the last age group was almost two after transition closed. I said they need to do something about that. 

BTW I have already provided feedback about that 

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

I've heard a lot of others complain though. The men's field was just as crowded as any other race, and probably worse, because the field wouldn't have been as spread. They just used the split race to allow more entrants.

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

There is no proof at all that ironman have even asked the local council for this. 

Your general consensus is farktards on forums. Mainly twits I’d guess. 

It made the women’s race a lot better. 

It will also make Ironman more money. So I’m tipping they are thinking about it. 

BTW if they can shut Nice down for two days. They can shit Kona down for two days. 

2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

It made the women’s race a lot better. 

It will also make Ironman more money. So I’m tipping they are thinking about it. 

BTW if they can shut Nice down for two days. They can shit Kona down for two weeks

FIFY

On the one hand, Nice 70.3 WC was a ‘one off’ event. Whereas with Kona you are talking about an annual event.

On the other hand, they have run a major international triathlon out of Nice every year since 1982: nearly 40 years. Also, Nice is a much bigger town and more important to the economy of the whole Riviera, so closing it down has a much bigger impact when compared to a pretty small town on an island. 

I reckon the logistics of recruiting enough volunteers for two consecutive days would be the real killer.

Logistically, it’s probably better to run the pros off at 6:30. Male ‘elite’ age groupers off at 7am, woman elite age groupers off at 7:45am and then throw in a 2000+ ‘lottery’ and ‘special interest’ field event, starting between 8:30 and 8:45. Who cares if the last finisher comes across the line at 1:45 am.

3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

I reckon the logistics of recruiting enough volunteers for two consecutive days would be the real killer.

Plenty of girls volunteered on Sunday who raced Saturday. 

• Like 1

It won’t work for a heap of reasons, it’s been looked at and the only way it would work would be a few days apart. 

It’s a 17hr race with staff working a 24 plus hour day, basically the whole shit show would be back to back race days (maybe 4hrs apart) which isn’t possible.

25 minutes ago, clintred said:

It won’t work for a heap of reasons, it’s been looked at and the only way it would work would be a few days apart. 

It’s a 17hr race with staff working a 24 plus hour day, basically the whole shit show would be back to back race days (maybe 4hrs apart) which isn’t possible.

Reduce cut off to 15 hrs :) 

BTW how do you know it's been looked at before? 

Womens one week & mens the next week would be good for the local economy.

36 minutes ago, clintred said:

It won’t work for a heap of reasons, it’s been looked at and the only way it would work would be a few days apart. .

You need to provide proof of this statement.  

Also if kona is the real world championships. Drop the cutoff to 13 hours. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

You need to provide proof of this statement.  

Also if kona is the real world championships. Drop the cutoff to 13 hours. 

49 minutes ago, The Customer said:

remind us what time you did, Peter? 😜

Then he would have DNFed. And so he bloody should have. It's a World Championship.

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Then he would have DNFed. And so he bloody should have. It's a World Championship, with lottery spots, CEO spots, charity spots, legacy spots, sponsor spots and easy age groups to qualify in........

On 14/09/2019 at 7:09 PM, Bored@work said:

Plenty of girls volunteered on Sunday who raced Saturday. 

A bit of a difference volunteering for a few hours after a HIM than all day the day after your own Ironman.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Customer said:

remind us what time you did, Peter? 😜

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Then he would have DNFed. And so he bloody should have. It's a World Championship.

Agree.  

I would have dnfed. 

9 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

A bit of a difference volunteering for a few hours after a HIM than all day the day after your own Ironman.

Tipping you have never volunteered at an Ironman? Most shifts are only 2 to 4hrs. Wet suit strippers would do less than 2hrs for example. 

A bit like most things in life "if you want to do something, you will find away. If you don't want to do it, you will find an excuse"

Not to bring any facts into this like clintred did , but if you watch this interview with the race director of both Kona and the half IM camps it will tell you that a two day race will never happen at Kona , and also that the IMWC will allways be held at kona 

• Like 1

Not to bring facts into it. She said “probably” won’t happen. Re the two day race. 

She said the WC won’t happen. 

This could all change if a new CEO is appointed. 

This is FACT. 

Ironman is a business & is run like a business. If it makes money it makes sense! 

I spoke to a couple of senior Ironman officials in Nice & what they say off record is a hell of a lot different to what they say in camera.

Thanks for the post of the vid btw. 

Its the first time I have heard anyone comment on it. Plenty of keyboard warriors claiming the Kona council won’t allow it but when pressed they had no reference or proof. I was sick & bored last time it was posted so I spent hours reading. Kona council minutes & community forums about the race

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Tipping you have never volunteered at an Ironman? Most shifts are only 2 to 4hrs. Wet suit strippers would do less than 2hrs for example. 

A bit like most things in life "if you want to do something, you will find away. If you don't want to do it, you will find an excuse"

I've volunteered and it was more than 2hrs!  In any case I've also raced Ironman and no, 2-4hrs of volunteering the next day would be out, I was totally wrecked and volunteering was fairly physical!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

that quote is awesome. Is it yours or should it be referenced to someone else? 

Maybe WTC could create a new way of "qualifying" for the World Championships. You "qualify" and get to pay them the $1,000+ entry if you also bring along 2 x volunteers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pieman said:

that quote is awesome. Is it yours or should it be referenced to someone else? 

My mentor at work dropped it on me a few years ago at work. It stuck with me and changed the way I go about things.

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

My mentor at work dropped it on me a few years ago at work. It stuck with me and changed the way I go about things.

Oh I thought I had read it here before

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Oh I thought I had read it here before

A quick google says it's by a guy named Jim Rohn. I agree, awesome quote.

8 hours ago, dazaau said:

I've volunteered and it was more than 2hrs!  In any case I've also raced Ironman and no, 2-4hrs of volunteering the next day would be out, I was totally wrecked and volunteering was fairly physical!! 

So true. People aren't as sharp as they could be after a full IM. Plus, it's pretty absurd to expect people to work for you after they've paid thousands to race at your Kona WC.

16 minutes ago, The Customer said:

So true. People aren't as sharp as they could be after a full IM. Plus, it's pretty absurd to expect people to work for you after they've paid thousands to race at your Kona WC.

Without volunteers you would be paying a lot more to race at your Kona WC.  People will just keep whinging about crowding, drafting, pro women not getting the same number of spots etc.

Tipping you have never volunteered at an Ironman

I’m tipping you’re not so good with tips. Awesome on speculation and assumptions though 😉

Edited by Andrew #1

10 hours ago, Bored@work said:

This could all change if a new CEO is appointed. 

This is FACT. 

That is opinion. 

“The Rooters won the NRL Grand Final last year” is a fact, whereas “I reckon the Rooters could go back to back this year”, well ... that an opinion. See how these “facts” and “opinions” malarky works?

I used the term FACT in response to Ironpo.

13 hours ago, ironpo said:

Not to bring any facts into this like clintred did , but if you watch this interview with the race director of both Kona and the half IM camps it will tell you that a two day race will never happen at Kona , and also that the IMWC will allways be held at kona 

But just for fun I will edit my response.

"If a new CEO is voted in and they have the support of the board they may decided to change the format and location of the Ironman WC in the future".

2 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Tipping you have never volunteered at an Ironman

I’m tipping you’re not so good with tips. Awesome on speculation and assumptions though 😉

It was a good assumption based on my experience volunteering at races. Most of the time they are happy to get any support be it for 1hr or 6hrs. The volunteers who get paid (sporting clubs, community groups are the one who seem to do the longer shifts) 

T1 & T2 helpers are normally done & dusted in under 2hrs.