Mungo

Purchase Power Meter Advice

Hi Guys,

I would like to start training with Power.  I would like advice of what power meter to use.  Ideally it would be relatively easy to transfer from TT bike to Road bike between seasons.  Also I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm not that good - just a mop type person who wants to train and race with power.

Thoughts on make/model that you would recommend.

Thanks

Favero Assioma Uno pedals. Single sided power. I got them for $595 from 99bikes, they price matched and applied 5% member discount (membership is free). You may close the thread admin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mungo said:

Hi Guys,

I would like to start training with Power.  I would like advice of what power meter to use.  Ideally it would be relatively easy to transfer from TT bike to Road bike between seasons.  Also I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm not that good - just a mop type person who wants to train and race with power.

Thanks

Will you be swapping it between seasons or sessions as the regularity of changing may play a part in your decision.

Is your crank length and chainring size the same on both bikes?

I have a stages on my roadie that works fine. I change it quite often between road bikes and is not that much of a faff but it reads way higher than anything else (not an issue really as it is consistently high)- cheap and possibly rightfully so

I have a SRM on TT bike that reads more like what I would expect and even though is a crank would be able to change if required. - very pricey but got it off facebook

Based on reviews here, i am looking to get favero pedals next on TT as I want to go shorter crank length and dont want to drop money on another SRM.. @willie can hook you up?

6 minutes ago, zed said:

Favero Assioma Uno pedals. Single sided power. I got them for $595 from 99bikes, they price matched and applied 5% member discount (membership is free). You may close the thread admin.

who did they price match? did the take 5% off the price matched price? 

48 minutes ago, pieman said:

who did they price match? did the take 5% off the price matched price? 

99bikes in Joondalup. Price matched down to $625 (or whatever it was) then the 5% applied.

2 hours ago, zed said:

99bikes in Joondalup. Price matched down to $625 (or whatever it was) then the 5% applied.

Assume they matched the bikebug price as they seem the cheapest?  I asked my local 99 bikes and they'd match the non discounted prices that bikebug has.. wish these franchises would have consistent policies

I bought the Favero Assioma dual sided pedals from Willie. Make sure to put some grease on the thread each time you move them between bikes. I can swap them over in about 5 minutes.

I bought a set of Look Keo pedals, which use the same cleats. That way I do not have to swap the pedals over for a one off ride.

Check out DC Rainmakers power meter buyers guide.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/power-meter-buyers-2018.html

Yeah use and rate the assioma from Favero. I have one huge gripe, they read about 100 watts to low 100% of the time. I swear it's not me :P

There's about 10 people off here that have bought them from me and touch wood, haven't had any back yet. 1 pair out of about 25 came back. More than half Vectors did come back so I stopped selling them. Only Bored@ is too cool for Assiomas. 

I'll see what I can do. But I'm a little fish so can't afford to lose on them like 99 bikes. 

Anyone else want some while I'm at it? 

13 minutes ago, willie said:

No, but i am interested in a 935 like I mentioned in another thread...

6 hours ago, willie said:

Yeah use and rate the assioma from Favero. I have one huge gripe, they read about 100 watts to low 100% of the time. I swear it's not me :P

There's about 10 people off here that have bought them from me and touch wood, haven't had any back yet. 1 pair out of about 25 came back. More than half Vectors did come back so I stopped selling them. Only Bored@ is too cool for Assiomas. 

I'll see what I can do. But I'm a little fish so can't afford to lose on them like 99 bikes. 

Yep they are ugly looking pedals. Don't go the SRM pedals they are shit. 

I just changed over to Quarq on my Roadie (only power meter that fits the 12 speed cranks) & Power2Max on the TT rig. 

I'm very happy with both & doubt I'll go back to pedal based in the future. 

On 11/09/2019 at 8:47 PM, BogFrog said:

No, but i am interested in a 935 like I mentioned in another thread...

I missed it in that thread. Sorry! Will shoot you a PM shortly. 

On 12/09/2019 at 3:20 AM, Bored@work said:

Yep they are ugly looking pedals. Don't go the SRM pedals they are shit. 

I just changed over to Quarq on my Roadie (only power meter that fits the 12 speed cranks) & Power2Max on the TT rig. 

I'm very happy with both & doubt I'll go back to pedal based in the future. 

Totally forget about the Power2max thought they must have gone down the gurgler.. looks like not  bad option for crank based and old reviews were always pretty good..

Did you get just the powermeter or get cranks etc as well

On 11/09/2019 at 1:25 PM, Mungo said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

I'm currently using a 4iiii Ultegra Left Only crank and it has been great. Got it online for under $500 delivered. You would be able to swap between bikes presuming that your crank lengths are the same on both bikes (same model would be preferred for aesthetics ;). Advantages here is that you get to keep your current pedals and cleats.

Have also owned the PowerTap P1S pedals as well. They were nice and easy to sway over. Good battery life. Paired easily and were very reliable. Obviously you would need to swap cleats over if you don't have the Look Keo type.

I have a Stages and swap between road and TT bike. Both Ultegra but different ages so doesn't look same, but crank length is same and that is the main thing.

Doing it slowing and thoroughly is about 15 min, loosen 4 screws; 2 on each bike, flick up lock, pull off, put on silicon grease, push on other bike, push down lock, tighten 2 screws and done (also don't generally put the spare crank on the other bike).

Easy and power consistent between bikes

On 11/09/2019 at 1:25 PM, Mungo said:

Also I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm not that good - just a mop type person who wants to train and race with power.

What? Didn't you race Kona in 2016?! Or was that another Mungo?!!

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

wow this is awkward...

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Mango..?

11 hours ago, Cranky said:

No, you are right Cranky. Mungo is a machine. He is also the pilot for John Demandle who together held the World Record for para Ironman not so long ago.

Sorry Mungo 😘

NSF

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, zed said:

What do you do for additional cleats (if you have a couple of pairs of shoes)? Do you know if normal Look Keo cleats do the job.

Cheers

18 minutes ago, Bianchi928 said:

What do you do for additional cleats (if you have a couple of pairs of shoes)? Do you know if normal Look Keo cleats do the job.

Cheers

Look Keo work great

1 hour ago, Bianchi928 said:

Cheers

yup they do. 

does anyone race these days without a power meter?  I am worried as i don't have any way to measure watts outdoors.

5 hours ago, Prince said:

does anyone race these days without a power meter?  I am worried as i don't have any way to measure watts outdoors.

I dont have a power meter. I dont plan to buy one. 

8 hours ago, Prince said:

What's a power meter???

(Or perhaps I should have said watts a power meter...)
I'm with Surfer and have absolutely no intention to buy one.

4 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

What's a power meter???

(Or perhaps I should have said watts a power meter...)
I'm with Surfer and have absolutely no intention to buy one.

I don't race anymore, but if I did I wouldn't use it to race. I might use it "in a race", but purely to see watt whats :) I race at afterwards. 

excellent. you have all convinced me to save my money. I will race by feel mainly, with an eye on heart rate, but also an eye on avg speed. 

• Like 2