Katz

Biggest Loser - Spring has Sprung!

The question is did you do this last year? 

If you did why doing it again?  

The questions you need to ask yourself are we only commiting to something for a short period of time.   If you are after weightloss etc you need to address to factors stopping you achieving it.  

You may need to sacrifice some things.  

Majority of people it is calorie intake.  You need to be in calorie deficit no matter which diet you try.   

Hit the weights, build some muscle also is a great way to get a better body composition.  

This is not having a go but giving some people a nudge into what they need to look.  Don't become a revolving door with this.  Be in it for long term.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks FB, but for many this can be a complex issue which results in excess calorie intake. Doing something, short term or otherwise, can be better than doing nothing at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks FB. I agree with Katz but also wanted to thank you for not posting in a condescending tone like an Ass Puppet. You have some very valid points but if this is the trigger that starts the journey, it’s a good thing. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

The questions you need to ask yourself are we only commiting to something for a short period of time.   If you are after weightloss etc you need to address to factors stopping you achieving it.  

You may need to sacrifice some things.  

Majority of people it is calorie intake.  You need to be in calorie deficit no matter which diet you try.   

Hit the weights, build some muscle also is a great way to get a better body composition.  

This is not having a go but giving some people a nudge into what they need to look.  Don't become a revolving door with this.  Be in it for long term.   

A look at this comps history shows there are a fair few varieties of people doing to for a variety of reasons. So your suggestion to ask some questions is good advice. However just because people are losing weight every season doesn't mean that's a bad thing. For me I put on winter weight and train less in Winter, eat more bad things. Then when I get serious I lose 5kg and train. 

Not sure it's that worthwhile to live your life at race weight and train hard and eat well all year round - I certainly can't be stuffed ;) And let's be honest, most people in our lives prefer us at more than race weight.

Even if it is a case of being significantly overweight, as long as the trend is down the  biggest loser serves as a reminder to keep to the task. 

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1

I agree with you FB, but also Katz. Upon reflection at the last few of these, I always tend to start a kg or 2 either side of 90, and finish around 84 to 85. I've tried 4 different methods to lose weight (heaps of training, strict calorie control, HFLC & low carb) and they've all had the same result: a temporary weight loss. I haven't been able to maintain any of them due to either my lack of self control over a long term, or needing to fit in with a family that hate low carb.

I'll give it another go, and will yet again start from the same place. Not sure of the method yet, but the family block of cadbury dairy milk I just finished probably won't have a part of it, at least not until the "I give up" stage.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

I've been pretty stable for a good few years but this last year, damn, the wheels have really fallen off.

10 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I've been pretty stable for a good few years but this last year, damn, the wheels have really fallen off.

You calling yourself “stable” FP ? Mmmmm, I could argue. 😀

FM

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Flanman said:

You calling yourself “stable” FP ? Mmmmm, I could argue. 😀

FM

Considering I have another ultra on Oct 5th, you could be right! :lol:  (a snafu on UTMB pts crashed my world! )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Trust me when I say I ask myself this over and over again. I've probably done 5 or 6 of these.

I'm a mental mess when it comes to my weight and am yet to work "me" out.

I know I'm strong mentally, some of the stuff I've done and some personal stuff I've gone through is a testament to that.

So in saying that yes I'm still over weight and I don't care if I have to have a starting point for 1000 times or 5000 times. One day I'll work me out and even if I don't I will have stopped me reaching 200kg or more.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, nealo said:

Trust me when I say I ask myself this over and over again. I've probably done 5 or 6 of these.

I'm a mental mess when it comes to my weight and am yet to work "me" out.

I know I'm strong mentally, some of the stuff I've done and some personal stuff I've gone through is a testament to that.

So in saying that yes I'm still over weight and I don't care if I have to have a starting point for 1000 times or 5000 times. One day I'll work me out and even if I don't I will have stopped me reaching 200kg or more.

This is me also.

im in

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Don't become a revolving door with this.  Be in it for long term.   

All perfectly valid points for me - my main goal this time is to get on track.

I've wandered so far off the track, I'm not sure I CAN still find it, but this is as good a start as any.

Minimum weight keeps getting higher and maximum weight does too.

How easily I can stack on 10-15 kg is frightening.

IN btw.

Start weight is 16th, I presume?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tyno said:

This is also me, I’ve had a really crap year personally, and I know I haven’t made the best food choices, it’s something I’ve battled all my life if I’m honest.  Keen to see how I go, shedding a few kg in the next couple months is important and hopefully keep it off

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tyno said:

Same here. Last year during a period of incredible family and relationship stress I put on 10kg in a month. I didn't even think I was eating that poorly at the time - though I ceased all exercise. I have been unable to move it, despite eating well.

I know stress increases cortisol levels and that makes it difficult to move weight but I often wonder if stress is an underrated part of the weight gain/loss equation. 

1 minute ago, dazmuzza said:

Same here. Last year during a period of incredible family and relationship stress I put on 10kg in a month. I didn't even think I was eating that poorly at the time - though I ceased all exercise. I have been unable to move it, despite eating well.

I know stress increases cortisol levels and that makes it difficult to move weight but I often wonder if stress is an underrated part of the weight gain/loss equation. 

It most certainly is for me and what has led to a roughly 9 kilo gain in 6 months.

Since Ive been stopped doing most of my regular activities Ive managed to stay fairly stable, but still too heavy. 

Im about to be laid up for 6-8 weeks so not sure how that will manifest itself. If Im stuck at home and bored there is a fair change Ill hit the fridge. 

Oh well, just hope I heal well and am able to get back on the bike at least afterwards and hopefully shift a few kgs over summer. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, roxii said:

Since Ive been stopped doing most of my regular activities Ive managed to stay fairly stable, but still too heavy. 

Im about to be laid up for 6-8 weeks so not sure how that will manifest itself. If Im stuck at home and bored there is a fair change Ill hit the fridge. 

Oh well, just hope I heal well and am able to get back on the bike at least afterwards and hopefully shift a few kgs over summer. 

I could always come around and bore the shit out of you. That would make you thinner and sleep. 

FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're pretty much just posting stuff people already know FB.

It's a bit like saying you're sad because you're depressed. Just stop being depressed. It ain't that simples.

The body? The body is easy. Break a leg it heals. Cut your finger it heals.

The mind? That f*cker is evil.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Posted this once and seemed to disappear.  Post again

That's fair enough - but he doesn't really offer any solution other than "do something sustainable". 

8 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

That's fair enough - but he doesn't really offer any solution other than "do something sustainable". 

Cause there is no magic pill.   That is the problem everyone is seeking a quick fix. Make a change and stick to it.   Ride the bumps and treat the process as I need to do this.  

The responsibility lies upon yourself not someone telling you what to do hence why diets never really work.  

Eat less and/or better, move more and repeat.  

• Like 1

FP, I think the point being made was that it doesn't provide anything most, if not all, of us already know. As Tyno said, it's not about lack of knowledge. 

And I don't think anyone here is looking for a magic pill. Rather some motivation and accountability to do what we all know we should be doing as a matter of course but don't consistently for whatever range of reasons might be relevant.

• Like 4

I’m in, you fat bastards 

except I started yesterday 

sick of working 7 days a week and being fat

much better to be fit.... and still work 7 days a week 😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The body's a complex thing and has ways of sabotaging your best efforts. Hold back food and your body reacts by trying to store more and slows down your metabolism. It's interesting watching lectures on various diets and seeing how tiny changes can make the body do weird things.

I'm not an advocate* of calories in vs calories out. I do however believe in calories stored vs calories burned. There's things you can do and eat to stop the body storing the calories as fat which is how a guy documented eating 5,000 calories a day whilst maintaining his weight and people can diet on 800 calories a day and struggle to lose anything.

One thing I can tell you absolutely - the older you get the harder it is as your body tries to naturally slow down. I'm 60 and merely sniffing food is like an express train to the flabby guts.

* not an expert, just offering an opinion

Just one more sleep till the first weigh in!

Not many people as yet, anyone else joining?

After a long winter working hard and the capped with an amazing holiday to Asia where eating anything occurred.  I’m in.  Need to get down to beach body weight. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I'm in 

You looked pretty skinny in your speedo in nice. ;) 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

You looked pretty skinny in your speedo in nice. ;) 

He's been carbo loading on donuts ever since that shot. Prepping for weigh-in. :)

52 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

He's been carbo loading on donuts ever since that shot. Prepping for weigh-in. :)

I wouldn’t put it past him to go on a donut and ice cream bender tonight.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

France was shit for donuts. There is only a couple of donut stores in Paris & they were both crap. 

Chocolate Croissants were my go to snack. 

12 hour shifts for two months at work & all meals provided via uber eats + 10 days in France put on a few kgs extra.  

I'm in

A rather significant change in personal circumstances early this year has allowed me to train a lot more consistently now, bit I'm still battling my big, big sweet tooth. This could be just the extra impetus I need  

• Like 2

On 10/09/2019 at 5:20 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I always tend to start a kg or 2 either side of 90

And just for something different......................90.2kg

On 10/09/2019 at 5:20 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not sure of the method yet, but the family block of cadbury dairy milk I just finished probably won't have a part of it

I'm going to start with just giving up the high sugar junk I eat, and limit calories a bit.

I'm planning a trip to India in week 9, and get back just before the week 11 weigh-in. A good dose of Delhi-belly should see me with large drop in the closing weeks.

thanks for kicking this off.  I have not participated before.  I have a history of fluctuating weighthowever over the past year or so my weight has only been heading one way.  hit 115kg at christmas so went to a dietician more for the accountability than the education (although) that did help in respect of what should be included in a meal and how much.  Now down to 98 which I'm happy about but have not moved from it for about 2 months and I'm still not at my target of a healthy BMI, around 85.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Alright, I'm in.  I've been back from holidays for 5 weeks now and the extra weight is just not shifting...  I also had an extra few kg before I left..  Maybe this will keep me accountable, but past experiences seem to demonstrate otherwise...

• Like 2

I can see that nobody has put down the HFLC as their plan yet so it is hard to pick a winner...

Ok, I suppose Ill throw my hat in the ring. 

Weight has crept up given my lack of mobility and increased hip pain. Probably a fair bit of comfort eating there too from being forced into retirement and feeling sorry for myself. 

Surgery is booked in for Oct 10 and then 4-6 weeks of nothing so for me this is all about watching the calories till I can get mobile again. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, roxii said:

Probably a fair bit of comfort eating there too from being forced into retirement and feeling sorry for myself. 

I know how that goes.  Also my appetite didn't shrink, even though I was forced to cut my exercise levels by at least 50%.

And swimming is not a great weight reducer.

Part of my approach was to get back into the weights (mostly upper body & core) to build muscle, which is supposed to increase your resting metabolism.

Still 2-3kgs over where I'd like to be.

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

84.4 kg. Work has blocked the link. 

Me too!  

Just weighed in at 72.2kg

2 minutes ago, MickyC said:

Me too!  

Just weighed in at 72.2kg

Height?