FatPom

IM Wales: Handing over the baton....

The good news is it's race week, bad news is that I'm not there :(

But step forward TThomo,  your time to shine boyo :clapping:

• Like 3

Not sure how much i will shine , Sprained an ankle on saturday hope it comes good by sunday and may shine as yet :)

Looking forward to it I think , Weather looks Ok From what I Can See .

1 hour ago, TThomo said:

Not sure how much i will shine , Sprained an ankle on saturday hope it comes good by sunday and may shine as yet :)

Looking forward to it I think , Weather looks Ok From what I Can See .

Nice one mate.   When do you arrive there?

Leaving Tomorrow get there Thursday Arvo .

Cant Wait To Face The Dragon : ( Might Not Be Saying That Come Sunday  ).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TThomo said:

Leaving Tomorrow get there Thursday Arvo .

Go get it mate. Let me know if you need any (poetic licence) advice. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TThomo said:

Sprained an ankle on saturday hope it comes good by sunday and may shine as yet :)

That really is straight out of the FP playbook. 

• Haha 2

Well,  looks like you're in for a belter mate. IM Wales has never had a forecast like this!

image.png.edb65477406c7616fc48070cebfae87d.png

10 hours ago, Tyno said:

That really is straight out of the FP playbook. 

I can send you photos if you like , Its getting better and will be Ok Come Sunday ,....I think 

(Probably Would Have been better off not mentioning it in Hind site )

5 hours ago, FatPom said:

Well,  looks like you're in for a belter mate. IM Wales has never had a forecast like this!

image.png.edb65477406c7616fc48070cebfae87d.png

Won the weather Lottery by the looks of that :)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TThomo said:

I can send you photos if you like , Its getting better and will be Ok Come Sunday ,....I think 

(Probably Would Have been better off not mentioning it on this site )

FTFY :lol:

Oh and good luck

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, TThomo said:

I've faced the dragon a couple of times, then I changed hotels and staff were a lot nicer.

• Haha 2

On 13/09/2019 at 7:50 AM, FatPom said:

Are you there yet?

Been here a couple days bikes racked ,  no escaping now .

weathers been good and looking pretty good for tomorrow .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TThomo said:

Been here a couple days bikes racked ,  no escaping now .

weathers been good and looking pretty good for tomorrow .

Where is your intern bag on the ramp?  My advice is to grab your bag and change into your interim shoes on the next flat bit, or even at the top.  Trying to take a wetsuit off on that slope is 'challenging'!

Sight the lifeboat station after the first turn, then after the second turn, I find it best to try and sight the gap between the houses on top of the cliff.  Trying to sight the rock is hard, as it blends in with the back of the cliff.

Careful of cattle grids on the bike and please take it easy on that descent into Wiseman's Bridge, it's nasty.

Sideways scissors motion with your fingers to the Cr@p Tri crew will get you a mighty cheer!

All the best of luck to you mate :)

What's your bib number?

Edited by FatPom

Thanks Mate , with numer #2329 my pink bag will be about 50 from the top of that ramp so will put my shoes on at the top , not sure how crowed that will be and weather to take wetsuit off there or at T1

My TT Bike doesn’t have the best braking capabilities so will be taking it easy down some of them descents .

cheers mate .

5 minutes ago, TThomo said:

Thanks Mate , with numer #2329 my pink bag will be about 50 from the top of that ramp so will put my shoes on at the top , not sure how crowed that will be and weather to take wetsuit off there or at T1

My TT Bike doesn’t have the best braking capabilities so will be taking it easy down some of them descents .

cheers mate .

I've tried both around the shoulders and in the bag. Personally I found stuffing it in the bag and running with that easier. I haven't tried taking it off in T1 proper but bear in mind that it will be a warm day, that ramp gets crowded, so by the time you are in T1, your wettie will be very dry and that could be harder to get off.

Also, when you climb St Brides Hill (Saundersfoot) don't give it everything at the lower steep part, you think it's over as it shallows out by the trees but then just grinds on and on (and on). They don't show you that bit on the tv :lol:

Be mindful of the wind heading into Freshwater East (first 30 miles), it can blow sand across the road and make the surface slippery.  You will get a clue from the flags on the camper vans parked by the beach.

Be a bit wary at the first aid station (near the village hall), it's on the right hand side of the ride and some folks realise too late.

Don't high five any adults in town on the run, they're all pissed and will send you 10' backwards with a massive hand slap.:lol:

Soak it up mate, tomorrow you're Welsh.

• Like 2

Looks like TThomo has done 126km on the bike for a total race time of 5hr36, best bike split of 6:19.

C'mon mate 👍

• Like 1

He's through 10km on the run.  Athlete tracker predicting a 12hr08 finish time.

• Like 1

He's home.  12.27.35,  that's a great time on that course.

Congrats TThomo :toot:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lived up to all expectations , toughest race I’ve ever done .

From the Anthem to the crowd support and don’t forget that course  was everything they said it would .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

He's home.  12.27.35,  that's a great time on that course.

Congrats TThomo :toot:

Thanks Mate , Had a pretty good day overall 

Just now, TThomo said:

Lived up to all expectations , toughest race I’ve ever done .

From the Anthem to the crowd support and don’t forget that course  was everything they said it would .

Well done mate.  You came 8th in AG, slim chance for a roll down?   Rest up, you'll need your strength for the detailed report. :lol:

29 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Well done mate.  You came 8th in AG, slim chance for a roll down?   Rest up, you'll need your strength for the detailed report. :lol:

Probably no chance of roll down might be 2 spots , won’t go down to 8th.

On 16/09/2019 at 4:51 PM, FatPom said:

It is pretty bonkers!

Biggest Crowds I've seen at a race , Saundersfoot Hill Had Thousands Up there and that gave you a pretty good lift up there , Back in town the later it got I think the more pissed they got and the louder it got , It was just a fantastic experiance ( although wasn't saying that with 2 laps to go on the run)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TThomo said:

Biggest Crowds I've seen at a race , Saundersfoot Hill Had Thousands Up there and that gave you a pretty good lift up there , Back in town the later it got I think the more pissed they got and the louder it got , It was just a fantastic experiance ( although wasn't saying that with 2 laps to go on the run)

Good on ya mate, it's a special race alright.  Were the nuns and monks at the top of Wiseman's Bridge hill?  I've found religion a few times at that point. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cant wait for your race report TThomo. The course description by FP were brilliant, sounds like a fantastic day out

• Like 1

On 17/09/2019 at 10:53 AM, Surfer said:

Cant wait for your race report TThomo. The course description by FP were brilliant, sounds like a fantastic day out

C'mon Thomo, you must be sober by now! :whistling:

37 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Who has the baton now?

Not sure anyone will.  They are up to Tier 4 already and general entries haven't even been opened yet!  Apparently WTC handed out a shed load of pre reg priority links that weren't unique to an email. So folks have been passing them on and entries have gone ballistic.  I think IM shut it down.

Accommodation is all but sold out already. On top of that, a load of folks deliberately deferred for this year's race, in order to get into next year's, which is the 10th anniversary and will be huge.

• Like 2

On 20/09/2019 at 5:05 PM, FatPom said:

Not sure anyone will.  They are up to Tier 4 already and general entries haven't even been opened yet!  Apparently WTC handed out a shed load of pre reg priority links that weren't unique to an email. So folks have been passing them on and entries have gone ballistic.  I think IM shut it down.

Accommodation is all but sold out already. On top of that, a load of folks deliberately deferred for this year's race, in order to get into next year's, which is the 10th anniversary and will be huge.

Another IM fail. Oops. 

On 20/09/2019 at 7:45 AM, FatPom said:

C'mon Thomo, you must be sober by now! :whistling:

Not any time soon on a cruise of Norway , but I am walking normally now 😊

• Like 2