The Customer

Age gaps in relationships - when does it become creepy

I have a male friend who is 56 years old. He has been having an intimate relationship with a 24 year old (4 years younger than his own daughter).

They are not living together and it has been kept very private between the two of them. Is it creepy or am I being judgemental?

Fire away!

Edited by The Customer

Neither.

It’s none of our business. If they’re happy, be happy for them. If it’s a phase, let them pass through it. 

• Like 1

The magic formula for dating should be that the girl is half your age + 7 years.

so for me at 52 it should be ......... 26+7= 33.

and so on

60 ............30+7=37

70.............35+7=42

80.............40+7=47

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

The magic formula for dating should be that the girl is half your age + 7 years.

and so on

60 ............30+7=37

70.............35+7=42

80.............40+7=47

THIS is creepy for soooo many reasons...

52 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

and so on

60 ............30+7=37

70.............35+7=42

80.............40+7=47

Does that work for older women too?

Also, the idea of dating an 80+ year old man is personally very creepy for me but according to that 'formula' it's perfectly fine. 😧

Edited by The Customer

How the fk does a 56 year old keep up with a 24 year old. 

I find it creepy esp since she is 4 years younger than his daughter. 

I wouldn’t be happy if my daughter was dating someone with such an age gap.

btw is the old dude rich? 

Noooo. Quite the opposite actually. Has quite a good job but no savings so to speak of and still has about 75% to pay on a modest flat so he's a long way off retiring.

He's very unfit too. Almost an invalid.

What if it was you dating a 25yo Customer? Creepy or not?

Edited by Rog

3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

and so on

60 ............30+7=37

70.............35+7=42

80.............40+7=47

I was working under the assumption that the rule worked both ways (and thought I'd broken the rules a few times, glad to hear I'm all good 😜

• Haha 2

It's it won't to say lucky him?

On the show Bones, she once said the socially acceptable relationship age gap is half + 8.  Way of the mark ironmanfoz.

My Old Man was 40 when he married my mother who was 18.  It didn't go so well in later years.

We know a girl of 25 who is with a bloke in his 50's.  That's pretty rocky too (she took out an AVO at one stage as he was stalking her when they had a break up).  They're both somewhat 'out there' musos.

Both looking for father figures methinks.

5 hours ago, Rog said:

What if it was you dating a 25yo Customer? Creepy or not?

very creepy.

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Both looking for father figures methinks.

the young woman is indeed estranged from her own father. The guy walked out on his first wife and 5yr old daughter and didn't reconnect with daughter until recently.

Dr Phil says an age difference of 30 years is 700% likely to fail. I assume that means it has a snowflakes chance.

Edited by The Customer

3 hours ago, goughy said:

It's it won't to say lucky him?

On the show Bones, she once said the socially acceptable relationship age gap is half + 8.  Way of the mark ironmanfoz.

It's all in theory, but practicality wise it would never really work, Though there are a lot of old blokes out there with banging wives/girlfriends.

If you told me I could have an intimate relationship with a 20 year old, I could probably cope. 

If you told me I could have a meaningful relationship with a 20 year old, I’d be very doubtful. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Customer said:

Noooo. Quite the opposite actually. Has quite a good job but no savings so to speak of and still has about 75% to pay on a modest flat so he's a long way off retiring.

He's very unfit too. Almost an invalid.

Maybe he has a big d*@k

I’ve seen it as I’m sure a lot of us have but it just can’t work in the long run.  So whilst it may not be creepy, its stupid  

She will eventually want to hang with people her age and do fun things (night clubs, beach holidays in hard to get to places) whilst he would prefer to stay home or just go out for nice meals. 

She’s going to see all her friends couple up with other 24yr olds and do fun things.  He friends are guaranteed to think its weird Too. 

If he was rich as, then I’d understand.  People will do almost anything for money.  

But you said he’s not. So its weird   

Maybe they are both just enjoying it, with no thoughts that it will ever go much further. A couple of years of fun, then they get on with their lives.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe they are both just enjoying it, with no thoughts that it will ever go much further. A couple of years of fun, then they get on with their lives.

Maybe.  I had a mate that married someone much younger than him. I always said if they get 10 awesome years together, then that’s probably 10 more than many other people. 

They got 7. 

So maybe you are right.  I was certainly thinking long term. Maybe I’m wrong in my thoughts that all relationships should be long term. Not 2-3 years of great times bonking like rabbits daily and traveling and going out and doing fun things. 

Edited by Peter

Each to their own.  Some wanna fly after the 7 year itch.  If both are happy with it, no harm no foul.  Me, I have no interest in trying to rejoin the market.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Maybe.  I had a mate that married someone much younger than him. I always said if they get 10 awesome years together, then that’s probably 10 more than many other people. 

They got 7. 

So maybe you are right.  I was certainly thinking long term. Maybe I’m wrong in my thoughts that all relationships should be long term. Not 2-3 years of great times bonking like rabbits daily and traveling and going out and doing fun things. 

Longevity would no doubt come down to there lifestyles. Though this one mentioned above doesn't sound quite right.

Peter, I reckon they were lucky to get 7.

I thought the five years between my wife and I was a lot...

Mind you, if I got interest from someone 20 years younger it would be hard not to be flattered so I can kinda see why it happens.

• Like 1

A 45 yo guy at work has a sugar daddy relationship with a 22yo.  Not a bad wicket considering her uni fees and living expenses are all covered. They appear quite happy atm. It may or may not end in tears.

Maybe until she finishes uni.....

I went out with a 26yr old for a little while when I was 19.  That doesn't meet the half plus 7/8yrs calculation.  It actually did feel a bit weird I guess.

"Young had remained single throughout his life, but after the 1983 race, at 62 years of age, he married 23-year-old Mary Howell, 39 years his junior. The race sponsor, Westfield, hosted the wedding for the entertainment of shoppers. Young and Howell divorced five years later."

On 10/09/2019 at 6:37 PM, The Customer said:

That was creepy. I don't think either of them were playing with the full deck.

Is that the Kiwi deck ?

FM

Edited by Flanman

On 09/09/2019 at 11:03 PM, The Customer said:

I have a male friend who is 56 years old. He has been having an intimate relationship with a 24 year old...

Well, if she decides that she'd like to be with a younger man I'd like to mention the fact that I'm only 55...  Just Sayin! :whistling:

(Note - I'd also like to say that I've been happily, and 100% faithfully, married to the beautiful Catherine for the past 33 years and am definitely not currently looking for a new partner).

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Pete said:

"Young had remained single throughout his life, but after the 1983 race, at 62 years of age, he married 23-year-old Mary Howell, 39 years his junior. The race sponsor, Westfield, hosted the wedding for the entertainment of shoppers. Young and Howell divorced five years later."

Good on them, some people go through their whole lives without feeling loved.  If it doesn't hurt anyone else then who cares.  I have total admiration for this guy and all that he's done.  Sure it's not what most people would call normal but he had a good heart.

From what I understand they remained friends afterwards.

I think the only way to really settle this debate is for you to provide a photo of both. 

• Haha 1

How's this for an age gap?

It appears as though the 74-year-old groom managed to consummate the marriage as his young bride said: “It was a crazy wedding night, that’s all I’m going to say. “Milojko’s back hurt, but he managed it well.” Milijana said: “We have sex almost every day, I don’t see what is strange with that. But since Mikan had his heart operation, I have to go easy on him in bed.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/marriage/grandad-74-marries-his-cheating-wife-21-in-agedefying-wedding/news-story/d75216273f8cdc85b38d954827dbe85b

2 minutes ago, A2K said:

How's this for an age gap?

It appears as though the 74-year-old groom managed to consummate the marriage as his young bride said: “It was a crazy wedding night, that’s all I’m going to say. “Milojko’s back hurt, but he managed it well.” Milijana said: “We have sex almost every day, I don’t see what is strange with that. But since Mikan had his heart operation, I have to go easy on him in bed.

Almost on Monday.  Almost on Tuesday.  Almost on Wednesday...

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Rog said:

I think the only way to really settle this debate is for you to provide a photo of both. 

There's no way I'm posting the real people but I found two images that I think are close to what they look like. Probably if you described these people to a police artist you'd get something like these (except the actual guy has very little hair left on his head, and the actual woman has short hair.) 😂

714358078_EbP2nE9QLin6za0qpwYme_pmyMk19b510RMeU3TFtbGujZOkqDK7wzM8_NV0RbQR8fhk7ZxnZb5c0f69IDxJpdpii67Dtb2BWhMs1000.png.e6c5945cf0e25ac0b42d3657bd0a4404.png204644c44f86487c7fa5bad0244d805a.jpg.8d5fc85c317a769d338290114fef6033.jpg

Edited by The Customer
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

There's no way I'm posting the real people but I found two images that I think are close to what they look like. Probably if you described these people to a police artist you'd get something like these (except the actual guy has very little hair left on his head, and the actual woman has short hair.) 😂

714358078_EbP2nE9QLin6za0qpwYme_pmyMk19b510RMeU3TFtbGujZOkqDK7wzM8_NV0RbQR8fhk7ZxnZb5c0f69IDxJpdpii67Dtb2BWhMs1000.png.e6c5945cf0e25ac0b42d3657bd0a4404.png204644c44f86487c7fa5bad0244d805a.jpg.8d5fc85c317a769d338290114fef6033.jpg

Does she have a seeing eye dog?

No but she's a little odd. You'd describe her as a hippy artist type. Wears vibram 5 fingers all year round and has bad personal hygiene. Very nice and kind young woman though.

I wonder if these old fellas get a lot of sympathy from the ladies. He comes across as vulnerable (very bad health issues - mental and physcial) but would make a good santa.

Edited by The Customer

9 hours ago, Rog said:

Nope that didn't help :lol:

• Haha 2

On 09/09/2019 at 2:03 PM, The Customer said:

I have a male friend who is 56 years old. He has been having an intimate relationship with a 24 year old (4 years younger than his own daughter).

They are not living together and it has been kept very private between the two of them. Is it creepy or am I being judgemental?

Fire away!

So you're creeped out by a perfectly legal (albeit unusual) age gap relationship but have no qualms about training with Sutton?

• Like 2

I think you spent way too much time thinking about this. Maybe you fancy him, or her?

I tend to put this stuff in the none of my business camp. Unless you are genuinely worried about your friend then I would suggest talking to him :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rog said:

I think you spent way too much time thinking about this. Maybe you fancy him, or her?

Gee, maybe rog. I can see the creative thinking spilling from your ear holes.

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

So you're creeped out by a perfectly legal (albeit unusual) age gap relationship but have no qualms about training with Sutton?

never said this fella wouldn't remain a friend.

I would be embarassed to be seen out with her. I'm 41 & sure having a 24 year old as a friend with benefits would be awesome. But there is no way I would want to be in a relationship with her, probably hasn't seen Top Gun or Die Hard.........

Besides there is plenty of smoking hot 40 year olds out there I would rather be banging. 

I'd concentrate on your own relationship and just let others get on with theirs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Besides there is plenty of smoking hot 40 year olds out there I would rather be banging. 

Yes, the older you get the more attuned your tastes become...