sglowz

Location suggestions for training get-away NSW / Vic

Hi All - I'm coming off a long period of being flat out at work and in life in general. I've been given the green light to take some time (up to a week) away solo next week and am trying to find a good location to train and relax. Ideally, somewhere in NSW/VIC with reasonable weather, safe roads for cycling and somewhere to swim. The coast would be good but safe cycling is the preference. So  I'm open to the coast or inland. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Northern Sydney, if ocean calling base yourself at Manly. West Head, Bobbin Head, Gorges all great riding. Lots of great running around Terrey Hills, St Ives, North Turramurra. B&B swim each morning. 

Newcastle is pretty good. Lots of places to  open water swim. Lots of paths along the beaches and lake to run and the roads are ok for riding, plenty of other cyclists out on the road

1 minute ago, Limited said:

Newcastle is pretty good. Lots of places to  open water swim. Lots of paths along the beaches and lake to run and the roads are ok for riding, plenty of other cyclists out on the road

Good to know as I could be spending some time up there for work soon. 

I was going to suggest Lake Macquarie as I spent some time at my brothers place up there and found it a pretty good area for cycling and running (oh and a bit of sailing).

Agree. Newcastle.  Victoria is too cold. 

Northern nsw is on fire.  

Where are youlocated

Thanks for the suggestions! Newcastle could be good. Any tips for longer ride routes (or is Strava the best place to find that info?). 

I'm based in Canberra and we are really spoiled here. Great cycling and plenty of pools. It is still a bit cold at the moment, but I could live with that. The motivation for getting away rather than staying at home is to make sure I switch. I tend to just keep on rolling with work if I am at home.

• Like 1

I thought Coffs Harbour was great. The old highway gets you out for a fairly long ride should you want it and plenty of hills to be had. Good pool. Probably didn’t run enough to have the best insight, but perhaps worth some consideration

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Good to know as I could be spending some time up there for work soon. 

I was going to suggest Lake Macquarie as I spent some time at my brothers place up there and found it a pretty good area for cycling and running (oh and a bit of sailing).

Hey Greyman. If you are heading up to Newcastle for a while with work, I may have to come up and visit you. 

Keep me posted. 

FM

1 hour ago, lachie94 said:

I thought Coffs Harbour was great. The old highway gets you out for a fairly long ride should you want it and plenty of hills to be had. Good pool. Probably didn’t run enough to have the best insight, but perhaps worth some consideration

Suggest staying at pacific bay resort. They have a great outdoor 25mtr pool. Never anyone in it. 

2 hours ago, Bosco said:

Northern Sydney, if ocean calling base yourself at Manly. West Head, Bobbin Head, Gorges all great riding. Lots of great running around Terrey Hills, St Ives, North Turramurra. B&B swim each morning. 

This would give you a safe mix. B&B swim every morning, breakfast, then ride North against the peak hour traffic from 09;00am-ish and head to the national park and multiple other rides.  I’ll likely be off that week too, though skiing for the first few days. Will have Wed-Friday free to swim bike and ride. Multiple runs along the beaches and harbour trails. Best harbour views in the world. IMHO

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sglowz said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Newcastle could be good. Any tips for longer ride routes (or is Strava the best place to find that info?). 

Strava is probably best, Newcastle or Maitland tri clubs.

A couple of routes are head south from Newcastle along  Fernleigh track to Belmont then follow Pacific Hwy for as long as you want, Shoulder/bike lane pretty much the whole way. Can ride around the lake (90km) but the road is pretty narrow on western side of the lake in areas. better to go anti clockwise.

A lot of guys travel north via Pacific Hwy, again for as long as you want. Can also follow the Hunter expressway and loop around the back of Maitland

Usually I'd suggest Kingscliff

There is some awesome riding through the hinterland, but some of its on fire at the moment 😕

Hervey Bay (LOL)

seriously, direct flights daily from SYD,

warmish flat ocean, two heated outdoor olympic pools, 20km foreshore running path, a fortnight's worth of hinterland to explore by bike.

PM me and I’ll sort you out with all the places to train around Newcastle. I’ll have loads of files of good long rides, shorter rides, running locations.

you can get lots of good running in and around Glenrock reserve. Riding can be anywhere north, south or west and lots of places to get away from traffic.

one of my favourites at the moment is this ride as it can be longer or shorter but amongst the farms and nice & quiet....
http://tpks.ws/SJCK7OVX2M4ERCZUMFFO5A6AAQ

I’m training for Busso and you can join us anytime.

Edited by Nath.

20 hours ago, Flanman said:

Hey Greyman. If you are heading up to Newcastle for a while with work, I may have to come up and visit you. 

Keep me posted. 

FM

Roger, roger. Lol

3 hours ago, trifun said:

Hervey Bay (LOL)

seriously, direct flights daily from SYD,

warmish flat ocean, two heated outdoor olympic pools, 20km foreshore running path, a fortnight's worth of hinterland to explore by bike.

Heated pools. Haha.  

Thats a joke right?

We have just booked in for a few days at Lake Crackenback.

Swimming in the lake is a bit cold this time of year, but Thredbo has a pool?

the riding is amazing, your choice of road and mtb. (Hope you like hills), and trail running is good as well.

21 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

We have just booked in for a few days at Lake Crackenback.

Swimming in the lake is a bit cold this time of year, but Thredbo has a pool?

the riding is amazing, your choice of road and mtb. (Hope you like hills), and trail running is good as well.

Still ski season for another three weeks.

On 13/09/2019 at 11:34 AM, Paul Every said:

Still ski season for another three weeks.

True - we are going up on the 19th Oct, so another month away.

When there should still be a little snow, but you have to go hunting for it.

6 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

True - we are going up on the 19th Oct, so another month away.

When there should still be a little snow, but you have to go hunting for it.

Not necessarily.

Take your winter gear.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Not necessarily.

Take your winter gear.

a work colleague lives near Adminaby, he had 10-15cm of snow last night.

I might not have to try hunting for snow at all :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

a work colleague lives near Adminaby, he had 10-15cm of snow last night.

I might not have to try hunting for snow at all :D

Had snow fall as low as Jindabyne in December, and that's at 915 metres. Thredbo is 1365m.

33 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Had snow fall as low as Jindabyne in December, and that's at 915 metres. Thredbo is 1365m.

Last year, during the week before the Hartley Cycle challenge (groups of 12 riding Canberra -> Charlotte's Pass return over 3 days, 3rd weekend in November) we had about the same amount of snow as this morning. Most of it was still there on the Weekend while we rode up. Due to other weather conditions we stopped at Perisher. (80+km/h winds after there, and the rain band moving through as well).

I have some pictures from previous years, but not currently online, so I can't link them :(

I do like the snow, and when out walking in the high country,do make sure I have a full set of cold weather kit, even in summer. Safety when the weather warps is important (Still need to get that epirb/equiv)

• Like 2