Parkside

Any Bird experts out there? What's this bird?

We back onto the bush in southern Sydney outskirts. In the past we've had bats feeding on exotic palms next door, but not for ages.

Last few months we've had what I thought was a bat in a big eucalyptus out the back at night, high pitched shrieking call and leaving large dropping deposits around the place, on the cars etc. Seemed funny it seems to be only one and I havent seen them flying through every night like they have in the past

Finally got a decent torch and had a look, and it seems to be a bird, sitting on top of branch and 2 decent sized eyes looking back, maybe more than one of them, torch wasn;t that great. never there at daylight.

What bird makes a call like a bat? Closest I could see online was a greater sooty owl.

I was expecting to scroll down and see a pic. I'm guessing Paul E is your man.  Owl sounds reasonable, we've had a few in our big tree over the years.

Do they look white in the dark, we get two in the big gum out the front, sit like pairs and shit a lot.  Could paint the road that much in one spot. 

1 hour ago, fiftyplus said:

Is it Tawny Frogmouth?

CE5D8A96-ED33-4F0E-8780-706F318CE043.jpeg

no we listened to a lot of bird call files on the net last night, not that.

Not white either.

I'll get my ayups and try and get a photo.

No probs, we had a pair at Hornsby Heights, they would come back every year to the same branch and make a nest and have chicks. They hunt at night.

Australian Owlet/Nightjar.

They make a number of different calls, and some sound very much like a flying-fox squawking. 

A photo and/or a recording of the call would make ID easier.

How long have you been hearing the call? Is the call during the day or at night?

It the start of breeding season for Koels, having migrated from PNG and Indonesia. Males will often call incessantly at night. The sexes are very different in appearance. Males are black, females are brown with white spots and black bars above, cream with black bars below. Consequently, at night you will hear the males, but more easily see the females.

Also listen to the call of the Green Catbird. Often seen in pairs in breeding season.

Grey-headed Flying Foxes will also feed on eucalyptus when it is in flower, and are a key pollinator of eucalypt forests. They are a highly mobile species, with colony numbers around Sydney usually dropping over winter before building back up again around this time of year. You tend not to hear as nearly much of their nocturnal squabbling over winter, simply because of lower local population numbers. Are you certain it's not them making the noise?

The koels are like the garbos of the bird world.

up at 3am and then making as much noise as possible till everyone is awake.

noisy farquars 

We rarely see Koels here, but I have always referred to the Channel Billed Cuckoos as "Bush Canaries". Their raucous screech will be heard over the valley here for the next few months.

On 06/09/2019 at 9:10 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Channel Billed Cuckoos

Yep that was my guess too - jeez they are loud, and they are looking for nests of other unsuspecting birds at the moment to sneak in their eggs. There are some amazing videos out there of magpies raising baby cuckoos. The cuckoos end up twice the size of the magpie, but apparently the magpies are too stupid to recognise there is something wrong...

This page has a recording...

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Scythrops-novaehollandiae

6 hours ago, toolex said:

Yep that was my guess too - jeez they are loud, and they are looking for nests of other unsuspecting birds at the moment to sneak in their eggs. There are some amazing videos out there of magpies raising baby cuckoos. The cuckoos end up twice the size of the magpie, but apparently the magpies are too stupid to recognise there is something wrong...

This page has a recording...

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Scythrops-novaehollandiae

Toolex, it's not that but we hear them here.

Masked Owl is my estimation based on the sound files I've listened to. Hasn;t been back since I posted initially.

Edited by Parkside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Ask the Birdman who often speaks on the ABC radio (Perth)

Eric McCrum.  He's the father of one of my club mates.  If you can get more details I can try and pass them on to him.

• Like 1

Speak of the devil.

as of this morning (very early this morning) our local friendly koel is back for the spring 

:angry: 

On 12/09/2019 at 10:18 AM, Stikman said:

Eric McCrum.  He's the father of one of my club mates.  If you can get more details I can try and pass them on to him.

That's him. He's incredible.

Hey Parky, I hear there was an aggressive  bird incident last weekend. Something about a sea eagle attacking a shark.

FM

• Haha 2