Bored@work

Kona training. How is everyone going?

This rain in NSW this weekend not good for NSW people on a critical weekend.

On 30/08/2019 at 6:59 PM, Nath. said:

This rain in NSW this weekend not good for NSW people on a critical weekend.

And yet it was close enough to perfect in the ACT this weekend. (Okay, a little cold for specific Kona prep... but you can't have everything)

Certainly tired enough, the Melbourne winter is certainly not the best place for it, but on the whole its coming along well.  Had to move to split runs for the long run to keep an angry knee happy, but the most important part is the nutrition side of things.  I have a final test this coming weekend but seems like the body is handling it better than previously.  Now to just add heat.  It sounds a bit like baking a cake, get all the ingredients sorted and then put in the oven to bake.

Certainly excited and great to see light at the end of the tunnel, four more weeks before heading over there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I started my 'dedicated' Kona block the week after Gold Coast marathon. 

I had a real good block of 4 weeks, then decided to take it easy for a week as I got a bit of fomo and entered SC 70.3. I thought at this stage I'd ease off for a week, do 3 solid weeks then have a lighter few days either side of SC.

4 weeks later and the last month I've been sick for two weeks which resulted in zero training and then the sickness had a flow on effect in to work commitments which resutled in me not getting sessions done. Anyway this weekend is SC 70.3 and if I'm fully recovered from last weekends adventures on and around the toilet bowl I should be fresh as and equally as unfit. Prior to the past month I was hitting all time highs for bike ftp and my fastest ever 5km so who knows how this weekend will go. Fitness just doesnt disappear........hopefully :)

After SC weekends will look like

image.png.21a1e21b5007fe217485ef6844f7693f.png

image.png.fc1924074f2d7dda5f65665ea0bd4f9b.png

image.png.6e8433dbda162d6001d9c74fb22fc8c0.png

So theres still plenty of time and plenty of work to come. I don't mind leaving the training late, i feel  it's almost like momentum.

All rides since like june'ish have been on the trainer except for commutes becasue it's too f'ing cold and I'm enjoying sweating it up indoors. 

I fly to Kona 9 or 10 days before so I'll do one last 'long' ride over there, it'll be about 4 hours, no longer than that. It's primary purpose is to get a gauge on rpe to power in kona conditions.

• Like 5

Auckland in winter certainly isn't the ideal place to prepare/climatise for Kona, but when I think of IronNerd's work location/situation, I should count my blessings. Working long hours and weather are conspiring to challenge my commitment to hit all training sessions. Too many missed for my liking, but I'm trying not to let it do my head in.

I found Vbike to get my bike training in, without having to bring my bike here, fantastic facility/shop. But they keep turngin the fans on during sessions, while I'm requesting heaters and humidty 🙄   I get my looooong rides done on the weekends I'm home (fortnightly). But last Saturday was 4 hours on the Vbike trainer and a 4km brick run completed and I felt pumped. I felt like it was all coming together. I have access to a 25m swimming pool that hardly anybody uses, via the hotel I'm staying at. Long runs up Mt Eden and One Tree Hill/Cornwell Park are good for the soul too.

Flying to Kona on the 3rd with TriTravel, so there's nine days to get some acclimatization to the humidity.

Overall: Not as prepped as I'd probably be working at home, but I choose the nomadic project life, so race day will be whatever it will be and I'll aim to enjoy every stroke, pedal and step, whether that be sub 12 hours or 16:59hrs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My Kona training is going as well as can be expected.

I spend 4 weeks at work. Every second night I will run usually for 90 minutes. The other nights I will either do intervals on an exercise bike or rowing/swim bands for 90 minutes.

During my 2 weeks in Perth I try to maximise my swimming and cycling. During my last Perth break I completed 1350km of cycling, 30km of swimming and due to an injury only 25km of running.

I am in Perth this week. On Sunday I will pack my bike into my bike bag and pack my suitcase. I go back to work for 2 weeks, have 18 hours in Perth and then fly to Honolulu for a week and then a week in Kona.

I have signed up for everything in Kona - Ho`ala swim, PATH run, undie run, ST party. As a Legacy athlete I want to experience everything, as it is my one and only chance.

Super excited now that the race is only a few weeks away.

• Like 8