Bored@work

Kona training. How is everyone going?

This rain in NSW this weekend not good for NSW people on a critical weekend.

On 30/08/2019 at 6:59 PM, Nath. said:

This rain in NSW this weekend not good for NSW people on a critical weekend.

And yet it was close enough to perfect in the ACT this weekend. (Okay, a little cold for specific Kona prep... but you can't have everything)

Certainly tired enough, the Melbourne winter is certainly not the best place for it, but on the whole its coming along well.  Had to move to split runs for the long run to keep an angry knee happy, but the most important part is the nutrition side of things.  I have a final test this coming weekend but seems like the body is handling it better than previously.  Now to just add heat.  It sounds a bit like baking a cake, get all the ingredients sorted and then put in the oven to bake.

Certainly excited and great to see light at the end of the tunnel, four more weeks before heading over there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I started my 'dedicated' Kona block the week after Gold Coast marathon. 

I had a real good block of 4 weeks, then decided to take it easy for a week as I got a bit of fomo and entered SC 70.3. I thought at this stage I'd ease off for a week, do 3 solid weeks then have a lighter few days either side of SC.

4 weeks later and the last month I've been sick for two weeks which resulted in zero training and then the sickness had a flow on effect in to work commitments which resutled in me not getting sessions done. Anyway this weekend is SC 70.3 and if I'm fully recovered from last weekends adventures on and around the toilet bowl I should be fresh as and equally as unfit. Prior to the past month I was hitting all time highs for bike ftp and my fastest ever 5km so who knows how this weekend will go. Fitness just doesnt disappear........hopefully :)

After SC weekends will look like

image.png.21a1e21b5007fe217485ef6844f7693f.png

image.png.fc1924074f2d7dda5f65665ea0bd4f9b.png

image.png.6e8433dbda162d6001d9c74fb22fc8c0.png

So theres still plenty of time and plenty of work to come. I don't mind leaving the training late, i feel  it's almost like momentum.

All rides since like june'ish have been on the trainer except for commutes becasue it's too f'ing cold and I'm enjoying sweating it up indoors. 

I fly to Kona 9 or 10 days before so I'll do one last 'long' ride over there, it'll be about 4 hours, no longer than that. It's primary purpose is to get a gauge on rpe to power in kona conditions.

• Like 5

Auckland in winter certainly isn't the ideal place to prepare/climatise for Kona, but when I think of IronNerd's work location/situation, I should count my blessings. Working long hours and weather are conspiring to challenge my commitment to hit all training sessions. Too many missed for my liking, but I'm trying not to let it do my head in.

I found Vbike to get my bike training in, without having to bring my bike here, fantastic facility/shop. But they keep turngin the fans on during sessions, while I'm requesting heaters and humidty 🙄   I get my looooong rides done on the weekends I'm home (fortnightly). But last Saturday was 4 hours on the Vbike trainer and a 4km brick run completed and I felt pumped. I felt like it was all coming together. I have access to a 25m swimming pool that hardly anybody uses, via the hotel I'm staying at. Long runs up Mt Eden and One Tree Hill/Cornwell Park are good for the soul too.

Flying to Kona on the 3rd with TriTravel, so there's nine days to get some acclimatization to the humidity.

Overall: Not as prepped as I'd probably be working at home, but I choose the nomadic project life, so race day will be whatever it will be and I'll aim to enjoy every stroke, pedal and step, whether that be sub 12 hours or 16:59hrs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My taper has come an abrupt stop. Solo crashed today. TT Bike unraceable now and I’m in hospital awaiting surgery on a left ring finger ripped open with a severed top tendon. I now have a floppy end 🤕 hoping within 12 days it heals enough to avoid a DNS.

Its going to be tight trying arrange and pack my roadie with a post surgery sling and flying out on Thursday evening. 

I’m trying to stay positive. Some unfortunate Others have had a much worse day than me in the surgical theatre today. 

• Sad 7

49 minutes ago, iFoz said:

My taper has come an abrupt stop. Solo crashed today. TT Bike unraceable now and I’m in hospital awaiting surgery on a left ring finger ripped open with a severed top tendon. I now have a floppy end 🤕 hoping within 12 days it heals enough to avoid a DNS.

Its going to be tight trying arrange and pack my roadie with a post surgery sling and flying out on Thursday evening. 

I’m trying to stay positive. Some unfortunate Others have had a much worse day than me in the surgical theatre today. 

There will be no DNS. Bring it on iFoz and get it done. Positive thoughts only. Eat well drink well....you will recover well.

Good luck my friend!!!

• Like 5

All on track for me. Huge new TV and great sound, brilliant wifi connection, just sorting out some *ahem* nutrition. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, iFoz said:

All the very best wishes to you iFoz x

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

All on track for me. Huge new TV and great sound, brilliant wifi connection, just sorting out some *ahem* nutrition. 😎

Ill be in hospital for the race, still trying to work out my viewing logistics. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

iFoz Im not sure how you will play the Angus Guitar for 42km with a broken finger, but what i do know is you will look great doing it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is anyone there already? Is 2 weeks to far from the race day?

Im interested To hear the logistics of it all. Also, how much do you reckon you’ve spent getting there, everything all in. Entry, nutrition, training plans, bike maintenance, flights, accommodation etc.

Ive heard figures of over $25k per athlete. 

2 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

Is anyone there already? Is 2 weeks to far from the race day?

If I were racing I'd be there now, or on my way.

ETA: Thinking about it again, If I was young & had mates going, I'd be there now acclimatizing and getting to know the place. If I was older & taking a family, and going for the experience of the event, I probably wouldn't turn up till late this week, or on the weekend.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Agree ex.  I got there 7 days out.  I needed more to get used to the heat after coming out of melb winter.  

Id also suggest staying up the hill and not at sea level.   Its cooler up. 

I spent about 10k in 2011. 

It was dollar for dollar almost back there. 

The current exchange rate would murder you.   

How people go year in year out is beyond me.  

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Agree ex.  I got there 7 days out.  I needed more to get used to the heat after coming out of melb winter.  

The year I went I spent most of Winter working in Townsville or further north, I spent a week in Florida (close to 40 degrees most days), then straight to Kona for nearly 3 weeks, and I still thought it was bloody hot. If you live down south & want to race well, then you need as much time there (or somewhere else hot) as you can get.

Surgeon said "Don't under estimate the severity of your injury, it's not just a finger." (severed tendon).

I was due to fly out of Brisbane with TriTravel thisThursday. Doctors orders... I'm a no fly, til post operation review next Tuesday. I will freely admit there were tears when I was given the post op news a couple of hours after waking from the general anesthetic.

So now I hope for a flight clearance next week, so I can get there to support and holiday with my brother who is meeting me in Kona, from Malaysia.

I was trying to be chirpy in the pre-op room, chatting with one of the anesthetic crew. She is a budding triathlete and understood the gravity of my predicament, most of the hospital staff didn't. While washing her hands, she looked back at me and said " I can feel the sadness in your heart from over here." It was the nicest thing any of the staff said to me, that validation. However, it nearly tipped me over the emotional edge. I must say, the police, ambulance and hospital crew were all fantastic, but only that one doctor, truly understood the context.

Sorry, I have to stop for a moment...

Edited by iFoz
  • Sad 12

4 hours ago, iFoz said:

I was trying to be chirpy in the pre-op room, chatting with one of the anesthetic crew. She is a budding triathlete and understood the gravity of my predicament, most of the hospital staff didn't...

I really am feeling for you mate, I know how much this truly means to you.

I'm a big believer that things happens for a reason, even if we don't always understand it at the time.  It ain't over till it's over...  Good things happen to good people!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Feel for you Foz, not sure what to say that would help but don’t know as it just sucks.

Will IM let you move it the next year, that is my big question?

Ifoz, I had surgery on a severed tendon on right Index finger on Monday and I struggling to deal with that, let alone the thought of having Kona too.

I have been told 6 weeks in a brace, hopefully you get better news!

• Sad 4

I have been training in Honolulu for a week. The roads are terrible, too many traffic lights and too many cars. I am averaging 70km per flat tyre.

I fly to Kona tomorrow. Looking forward to getting there and checking out the water.

• Like 2

On 02/10/2019 at 10:56 AM, Toolish said:

I have been told 6 weeks in a brace, hopefully you get better news!

Ok, not sure if should be posting here or the Good News thread. 😁

I’ve given myself an uppercut, with the good hand, and gotten over my pity party. 

I’m cleared to fly to Kona to support and holiday with my bro. The elbow to fingertip plaster back slab is gone and I’m in a finger brace for the next six weeks. Surgeon said I didn’t just sever the tendon, I shredded it. I now have a wire support poking out of my fingertip (the ball) that is drilled through the first joint.

Yayyyyy  I’m  going Kona. 

E47E9F2D-C75F-4EE7-839D-CF70676F97E0.jpeg

E74E7AF2-2E8D-4890-B20D-683CA88AB5F3.jpeg

• Like 6

Great news.  Why didn't you post this photo?

Image result for broken arm beer holder

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Much prefer your splint...not so sure about the ball though.  Did you do the flexion tendon or extension tendon?

IMG_4126.jpg

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Toolish said:

Did you do the flexion tendon or extension tendon?

Yes, my finger brace is very manageable, compare to that beast you're wearing.

I burst the top of the finger, and left a lot flesh on the road shoulder, (coarse seal which acted like a cheese grater) so it's the extension tendon. My finger tip was flopping around in the breeze. Magpies have probably eaten what I left behind :)

• Sad 2

IFoz, what hapened to cause the crash? And now we know your finger has been taken care of, what about your bike?

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

And now we know your finger has been taken care of, what about your bike?

Surely he will need a new bike now!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nath. said:

Surely he will need a new bike now!!

Sadly, probably. The Red Baron took a nasty hit to the tail and is banged up all over. But I can poke my nail through the carbon on the tail hit  

But there’s no frames on the market that I love as much as the Red Baron. There’ll be another round of tears if he’s written off. 

59BA4402-55E8-49F7-9A2A-3D662673229F.jpeg

BEB6013B-DD6B-4264-A417-2243E05B61E7.jpeg

• Sad 2

Just tape it up with silver gaffa tape.... Thats what I do..... Thats how my seat post is held on...works a treat since 2013.

PS: Think...... what would MacGyver do????

Edited by IronmanFoz

Bail Crowie up while over there and get him to hook you up with a deal on a new Argon!

Need anymore evidence the universe didn’t want me here this year? My bag didn’t arrive on my flight and I’m in the armpit and chopped off. 😳😂 on the bike shirt. 

However, the Kona Reef apartment is great, the beer is cold, and the atmosphere is magic. 

Got no money left for a new bike, I hit the expo tent today 🙄.

96090761-4E3A-4A41-B6A4-09A56EB05ECB.jpeg

042B8E5A-594C-42F0-80AA-C325692CC551.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iFoz said:

Need anymore evidence the universe didn’t want me here this year? My bag didn’t arrive on my flight and I’m in the armpit and chopped off. 😳😂 on the bike shirt.

Like I said before, things happen for a reason.  You may have just been spared from being hit by a cannon ball just 3 metres into the swim leg, being blown off your bike and breaking your neck on the Queen K, or having your surname spelt wrong on the bike shirt...  Anthing is possible!

1 hour ago, iFoz said:

However, the Kona Reef apartment is great, the beer is cold, and the atmosphere is magic.

So life's not really all that bad after all.

I hope you're having a cold one for me too!!

1 hour ago, iFoz said:

You only live once...  Enjoy!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Imagine what you could have blown on finishers kit.  

I think all up I dropped about 3k at the expo 

2 hours ago, iFoz said:

96090761-4E3A-4A41-B6A4-09A56EB05ECB.jpeg

042B8E5A-594C-42F0-80AA-C325692CC551.jpeg

Kona Reef. Stayed there in 2012, as did PJ, after his win. We shared the spa after the race. I may have told this story a few times.