Jump to content
gplama

Varia Radar // Garmin & Wahoo Support // RTL500 Deal

Recommended Posts

G'day Trannies. 

I need to bang on about the Varia Radar... because it's such a game changer for me out riding by myself. If you didn't catch the news, Wahoo now support the Radar on the Elemnt/BOLT/ROAM units. The RTL500 (square ugly one) and the RTL510 (newer sexy one) are both supported. 

I've done a video on the newer Radar a while back, and covered the Wahoo implementation this week over on YouTube too

Pushy's have the older ugly one on sale for $149. Bargain. A local bike shop here price matched for me on that yesterday with their last one in stock, so I snapped that up. If you're thinking about one - GET IT. And see if your local has any in stock that'll price match... or head over to Pushys. 

Let me know if you ride with one (or won't ride without one). And if you're a 'mirror crew', all good. This is better. :)

Happy Friday! 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it wasnt for you I wouldn’t have known. Love your YouTube work. 

Ive upgraded 

06013EDE-3F85-4918-B1AD-00F17A9F28BC.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the newer version of the radar and TBH I absolutely love it. 

It is great tool for when riding solo - particularly on lonely largely empty roads

Edited by dazmuzza
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needs to have a special ute logo on the screen, just so you can fully prepare yourself for whats coming. 

 

Disclaimer: I'm a ute driver. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Peter said:

If it wasnt for you I wouldn’t have known. Love your YouTube work. 

Ive upgraded 

The original graphic Wahoo used were little race cars. F1 style. It was brilliant. I begged to keep them for the public release, no dice. 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few in my group have had them from the early days.  They've always worked great, and as I'm the slow poke, I can see flashing change on their varia so I know someone coming behind me.  I don't have a Garmin that works with them though, so I'd need the head unit too.  I'll just continue being the Super duper over cautious cyclist.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only good on quiet roads.  Certainly useless on beach road.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, gplama said:

G'day Trannies. 

I need to bang on about the Varia Radar... because it's such a game changer for me out riding by myself. If you didn't catch the news, Wahoo now support the Radar on the Elemnt/BOLT/ROAM units. The RTL500 (square ugly one) and the RTL510 (newer sexy one) are both supported. 

I've done a video on the newer Radar a while back, and covered the Wahoo implementation this week over on YouTube too

Pushy's have the older ugly one on sale for $149. Bargain. A local bike shop here price matched for me on that yesterday with their last one in stock, so I snapped that up. If you're thinking about one - GET IT. And see if your local has any in stock that'll price match... or head over to Pushys. 

Let me know if you ride with one (or won't ride without one). And if you're a 'mirror crew', all good. This is better. :)

Happy Friday! 

 

Thanks Shane! Love you work. BTW when watching your videos if I skip the ads does than mean you don't get any revenue (I actually sit through your ads just encase..)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone just posted my 10% off code for Pushys. Crikey. PU-512SJUL3  should work. No idea how long for.. but it'll knock $15 off that Varia RTL500. I need a friggin affiliate link with that crew! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, more said:

Thanks Shane! Love you work. BTW when watching your videos if I skip the ads does than mean you don't get any revenue (I actually sit through your ads just encase..)?

Cheers! Um... yeah, but skip away. It's all good. The channel is still building and gets enough hits/views/interaction to keep things ticking along. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Limited said:

I think the radar needs a camera. That would be a game changer 

It'd be a good combination - Though they're two different things. The Radar can inform you of what's coming so you're better informed. A camera will capture what you didn't know what was coming so your loved ones can be better informed of what killed you. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered one from Pushy's with the 10% off code which worked. Thank you very much.

Made the decision to buy one after a long ride in the hills yesterday during much of which I was terrified of the cars coming up behind me. Fear nearly made me pull the pin a few times. Stikman asked if I had considered one of these and I vaguely had. But decided this morning it was a good idea if I am ever going to get hills time. Looking forward to it arriving.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found since having the radar (about 12 months) that you can ride out in the road a bit more than usual, however when a car comes from behind you move over about 1 metre.  They see it and think, oh good the rider got out of my way and they give you more room than usual.

Something happens in their head that you arent being a dick so they won't either

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Peter said:

I've found since having the radar (about 12 months) that you can ride out in the road a bit more than usual, however when a car comes from behind you move over about 1 metre.  They see it and think, oh good the rider got out of my way and they give you more room than usual.

Something happens in their head that you arent being a dick so they won't either

Is that the big difference? Being able to slip into your safety space just as the car arrives? I remember reading something about Mike Hall saying that, that he always left space and developed an instinct on when to use it to buy himself a little more room.

I have always thought the radar was a bit of a waste, instead just always ride as if something is coming. But the enthusiasm on here is making me rethink my view.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not having it myself, but riding with those that do have it, I think it's great.  I always ride as though someone's about to kill me.  But I can see from the change in the lights flashing that cars are coming.  And it can tell if there's more than one.  If I had the money I'd have it in a heartbeat.  It doesn't mean you don't have to be aware, but it helps you be even more aware.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Naut said:

Is that the big difference? Being able to slip into your safety space just as the car arrives? I remember reading something about Mike Hall saying that, that he always left space and developed an instinct on when to use it to buy himself a little more room.

I have always thought the radar was a bit of a waste, instead just always ride as if something is coming. But the enthusiasm on here is making me rethink my view.

I do tend to ride to generally stay out of the way, however inattention might cause me to drift a bit, or if there is a rough edge I'm avoiding. Or when in a group and someone pops out to your right. I would feel more comfortable to be able to let them know there was someone coming up. 

I am also just a bit of a fraidy cat and knowing, rather than guessing or assuming will work for me I am sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, goughy said:

it helps you be even more aware.

Exactly.

It's like I have been riding with a rear light flashing for many many years now.  Every ride.  Morning, day or night.

It's doesn't hurt to be more aware either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, goughy said:

Not having it myself, but riding with those that do have it, I think it's great.  I always ride as though someone's about to kill me.  But I can see from the change in the lights flashing that cars are coming.  And it can tell if there's more than one.  If I had the money I'd have it in a heartbeat.  It doesn't mean you don't have to be aware, but it helps you be even more aware.

This is how I use it. It's an extra tool.

It's also really useful sometimes on group rides where you're at the back of the group and can keep everyone informed up ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dazmuzza said:

This is how I use it. It's an extra tool.

It's also really useful sometimes on group rides where you're at the back of the group and can keep everyone informed up ahead. 

It'll probably even more helpful as we move to more electric cars on the road. Whilst they still make a noise, it isn't as loud, and with wind noise through your helmet, any warning of something coming close behind is helpful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Exactly.

It's like I have been riding with a rear light flashing for many many years now.  Every ride.  Morning, day or night.

It's doesn't hurt to be more aware either.

 

Front always flashing for me too, during the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm front and back flashing lights during the day, plus flouro yellow jersey, plus a flasher at the top of my jersey on the front and an extra flasher on the back of my backpack. 

And somehow, people still often fail to see me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Katz said:

I'm front and back flashing lights during the day, plus flouro yellow jersey, plus a flasher at the top of my jersey on the front and an extra flasher on the back of my backpack. 

And somehow, people still often fail to see me! 

So much stuff they would be dragged to you. Haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been meaning to say that since I read this post. I went out and bought one on the Lamas advice-some of best money I ever spent!

Case in point-on the weekend riding some fast narrow descents around Mt Martha where the wind noise eliminates any possibility of hearing an approaching car. Because the road is so narrow you don't have a shoulder and are forced into the left wheel track of the road. When the varia/elemnt lights up red you know a car is approaching and can slow down and move to the edge of the road.

Another example is early morning rides where there are not many cars on the road, but as soon as one comes within cooee of you you know about it. Just a great gadget!

My only worry is it pulling me into a false sense of security on not performing a headcheck..

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...