Coach@triathlon

Marketing madness -'Pre-workout'

People at my local gym, and some squad people keep talking about a product called 'pre-workout' - thought nothing of it but I got talking to a bloke on the stationary bike. Apparently it's some powdered shit people drink before they train. I looked at the label and it's basically whey powder with some fructose and a dose of caffeine. This bloke said he can't train without it. So I ask around and it's pervasive, the marketing brainwash commissionaires have managed to implant this new reality into gullible people's skulls. 

To be fair I get up and make a coffee first thing each day before I head out to train for a couple of hours. The only coffee of the day and it wakes me up but could very well be psychosomatic.  

And that’s probably being kind as to what is in some of them! 

Given the other thread on needing to poo during runs, I’m not sure how many on here would go so good chugging down pre-workout before.... And that is before considering the risk of them being contaminated (whether deliberate or not) with other banned crap

Edited by lachie94
  • Like 3

Just a point on the pre-workouts, some of the older mixtures has a few stronger ingredients than just caffeine (including quite a number of non-WADA approved compounds, including some analogies to amphetamines). From some reports, the physical effects of these were quite interesting (And mental effects as well)

Now on the subject of whether people can work out without them or not, that is a little different. for many people, just popping a no-doz will give the same physical effect as a pre-workout supp (Which I know some people do) if only because they don't have access to what they used to use.

I wonder how seriously one should consider the intangible "how I feel" - even if only placebo induced. Maybe there's some science in there? I mean, if you got a "you've won 1st division lottery!!" email just prior to race start how would you fare as compared to some equally powerful bad news?  Does pre-race ritual play a role in mental capacity to achieve goals?

Or maybe not...     

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I wonder how seriously one should consider the intangible "how I feel" - even if only placebo induced. Maybe there's some science in there? I mean, if you got a "you've won 1st division lottery!!" email just prior to race start how would you fare as compared to some equally powerful bad news?  Does pre-race ritual play a role in mental capacity to achieve goals?

Or maybe not...     

Placebo is one of the strongest, WADA approved drugs on the market IMO.

in regards to above though, some people would get that email and have a ripping day, others would feel one tiny bit of hardship in the race and slow down because they just don’t see a need to push hard for anything anymore. Different strokes for different folks. Same goes for bad news.

Anecdotally, I had to stop listening to ‘pump up’ playlists pre long course race as I found it left me overstimulated and spending the the first 300m of the swim going well over ‘threshold’ before having to slow down so far below threshold that I would lose feet just to try and recover. Others thrive on that.

As below, everyone’s peak arousal curve is different and it’s worth learning where yours lies

DBC41B9C-A98D-44C1-B9F5-02874290DD6B.jpeg

Edited by lachie94

There is also the intimacy arousal debate that raised its head, so to speak, in 1992. Mark Allen famously abstained from any form of sexual activity 6 weeks before Ironman. Welchie was the exact opposite.

6 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

There is also the intimacy arousal debate that raised its head, so to speak, in 1992. Mark Allen famously abstained from any form of sexual activity 6 weeks before Ironman. Welchie was the exact opposite.

Sian was a solid 9/10 in the 90's and beyond.  I don't blame Greg from not following the advice of Mark Allen

Edited by Peter
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Coach@triathlon said:

For most sportsmen, it's the 5 hours at the pub/nightclub chasing sex on the Saturday night that has a bigger effect of Sunday's sporting performance.

I used to play footy with a couple of guys that swore by a couple of cans of JB & coke before a game.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

For most sportsmen, it's the 5 hours at the pub/nightclub chasing sex on the Saturday night that has a bigger effect of Sunday's sporting performance.

Pfft only for the ugly ppl. 

Took longer to get them to leave. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Hmmmm

Allen v Welch

Nice 10 - 0

Kona 6 - 1

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Hmmmm

Allen v Welch

Nice 10 - 0

Kona 6 - 1

I would argue that it wasn't the rooting, or lack thereof, that separated Welchie and Allen triathletically....

• Haha 1

back to topic,

after recent experiences ( two young relatives now with implanted defibs and the rest of the clan having had full cardio diagnostic screening) and some in-depth talks with consultant pharmacists and lead cardiologist plus a serious dive into peer-reviewed literature on HOCM.

I would strongly suggest avoiding anything with more caffeine in it than a single cup of coffee (or in my case a KitKat) as a pre-event / pretraining "supplement", there are way too many ex-athletes around with permanently damaged tickers - this muscle never gets to take time off to recover and does not lend itself to physiotherapy. Damage tends to be cumulative, so play safe and don't overstress it.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Hmmmm

Allen v Welch

Nice 10 - 0

Kona 6 - 1

Allen divorced, no idea if he has another partner.

Welchy - still married and smiling, bad ticker and all. 

Who out these two is likely to follow Billy Snedden and "die happy" regardless of race records?

he who dies with the most race wins.....................still farken dies! Haha

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 2