Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lost in transition

Ugliest bikes

Recommended Posts

1 month out from Kona, more and more pros are posting photos of themselves training. I've gotta say it. The SHIV Tri is dead set the ugliest bike I ever have seen. Everything from the split fork thingy, to that horrible rear storage/bladder. job. Whoever drew that up, and thought 'Ah fck it, lets just put this through as a Friday funny in the design meeting'.  Must be sitting back in their chair with their head spinning.

The SHIV Tri before that was almost just as ugly.

What other bikes have people found ugly over the years?

*hate wave coming*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like everything about that Specialized bike except the rear storage container. It's like R&D guys were on holiday and let the work experience kid finish it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted the same thing last. 

Change your region to USA on specialized website & look at the different colors available. The yellow & pink just wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I posted the same thing last. 

Change your region to USA on specialized website & look at the different colors available. The yellow & pink just wrong 

eughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

1 month out from Kona, more and more pros are posting photos of themselves training. I've gotta say it. The SHIV Tri is dead set the ugliest bike I ever have seen. Everything from the split fork thingy, to that horrible rear storage/bladder. job. Whoever drew that up, and thought 'Ah fck it, lets just put this through as a Friday funny in the design meeting'.  Must be sitting back in their chair with their head spinning.

The SHIV Tri before that was almost just as ugly.

What other bikes have people found ugly over the years?

*hate wave coming*

I own 5 specialized bikes.  

I never liked the shiv and that current bike is just ridiculous. 

I wouldn’t ride one if someone gave it to me.  

People have to draw the line somewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ventum and DiamondBack Andean are both dog ugly.

Both are not as bad in full black, but some of the Ventum custom paint jobs in particular are vomitous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Ventum and DiamondBack Andean are both dog ugly.

Both are not as bad in full black, but some of the Ventum custom paint jobs in particular are vomitous.

Like Taren's...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Ventum and DiamondBack Andean are both dog ugly.

Both are not as bad in full black, but some of the Ventum custom paint jobs in particular are vomitous.

My dog isnt ugly 🤔received_399410637517338.thumb.jpeg.137b2a39e969ee955c738f65bd2c6f84.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I wouldn’t ride one if someone gave it to me

I call BS. If someone gave you something fast but ugly you'd ride it. 

I wouldn't spend anything on something that looked like that. I've owned 4 different Ceepos so I know ugly! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, willie said:

I call BS. If someone gave you something fast but ugly you'd ride it. 

You clearly don’t know me. 

Fast times mean nothing to me.  I have plenty of races to back that up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I own 5 specialized bikes.  

I never liked the shiv and that current bike is just ridiculous. 

I wouldn’t ride one if someone gave it to me.  

People have to draw the line somewhere. 

Why are they all specialized?  I didn't think specialized did anything better than any other company but along with trek seem to cost way more for similar features.. that's for road tri mtb hybrid etc...

You're married with a young daughter so I assume excess money isn't the reason..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

My dog isnt ugly 🤔received_399410637517338.thumb.jpeg.137b2a39e969ee955c738f65bd2c6f84.jpeg

You need a better vet. That tag is huge!

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’ll be riding this bad boy around Nice next week. 

2B0847AF-DAA1-48BF-B908-41AA9D961B78.png

That's not bad, that is more ugly than the shiv. Your mate has far too many spacers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pieman said:

 

 

Why are they all specialized?  I didn't think specialized did anything better than any other company but along with trek seem to cost way more for similar features.. that's for road tri mtb hybrid etc...

You're married with a young daughter so I assume excess money isn't the reason..

Venge (race bike roadie) , tarmac (commute), crux cx bike, track, mtb 

i just like them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, willie said:

That's not bad, that is more ugly than the shiv. Your mate has far too many spacers! 

My mate has fked back & is booked in for surgery after the race 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I’ll be riding this bad boy around Nice next week. 

2B0847AF-DAA1-48BF-B908-41AA9D961B78.png

Another one where black on black looks OK, but colurways like this enhance the ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bike Lesson here, thrill seekers, is you can't have aero and good looks at the same time. 

Prove us wrong!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Bike Lesson here, thrill seekers, is you can't have aero and good looks at the same time. 

Prove us wrong!!

UCI Shiv TT 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

What other bikes have people found ugly over the years?

 

I know a guy who collects old vintage time trial bikes, and he has some pretty ugly bikes that makes the Shiv look like a supermodel.

 

That one in the middle is a piece of sheet metal I think - no idea what is going on there to be honest.

 

The Campagnolo wheels are incredible in my opinion, those Campagnolo Scirocco wheels are impossible to find for sale and when they do they cost thousands. 

 

Fingers crossed the photos work...

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.37.04 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.37.10 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.37.20 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.37.42 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.38.23 pm.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take your Shiv and raise you a Ventum. Not just that, the official* IM Australia Ventum

 

 

* I made that up...sort of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dare I say it, but I quite like the Shiv!!! And would agree that the Ventum is fugly and the DiamondBack Andean is perhaps the fugliest of the lot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AJS said:

Dare I say it, but I quite like the Shiv!!! And would agree that the Ventum is fugly and the DiamondBack Andean is perhaps the fugliest of the lot...

Unlike all the old farts :wheelchair:  who think a bike should look like it has for the last 100 years I reckon the Andean looks cool as fug...   

H0ZXyBbTSXbG_1539456122062.jpeg?fit=max&fm=pjpg&h=640&q=65&w=680

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, more said:

Unlike all the old farts :wheelchair:  who think a bike should look like it has for the last 100 years I reckon the Andean looks cool as fug...   

H0ZXyBbTSXbG_1539456122062.jpeg?fit=max&fm=pjpg&h=640&q=65&w=680

Yep, that looks good. Kind of like a 2 wheel KIT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, more said:

Unlike all the old farts :wheelchair:  who think a bike should look like it has for the last 100 years I reckon the Andean looks cool as fug...   

H0ZXyBbTSXbG_1539456122062.jpeg?fit=max&fm=pjpg&h=640&q=65&w=680

What in hells bells is the go with that seat? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, roxii said:

Old skool aero cool. 

70D70F24-AD4B-4595-AC99-3D95F73135E4_zps872nqwja.jpg

I'd be turning up to group rides on that!  Seriously cool.  Brissie to Gold coast, yeah baby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the beam bikes. I was looking at Falco Vs on ebay yesterday. The Zipp beam bike was cool.

 

1474579450-edniw6m31cekxowh4zvk.jpg?auto

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree.  I like the Andean.  But rolling around doing a 5:50 at Ironman on it, you'd be out of place.  Except in asia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, roxii said:

What in hells bells is the go with that seat? 

Designed for someone like me with a small, pert bottom!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, goughy said:

I'd be turning up to group rides on that!  Seriously cool.  Brissie to Gold coast, yeah baby!

Im thinking about getting it rolling while Im off with my hip, if I can get around. 

Got a hed trispoke front and a rare hed 3D rear for it. 

330bvrq.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zed said:

Love the beam bikes. I was looking at Falco Vs on ebay yesterday. The Zipp beam bike was cool.

Don't buy a Falco. There's a reason they're not around anymore... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, willie said:

Don't buy a Falco. There's a reason they're not around anymore... 

yeah i read, piles of crap. I'd buy a cheap one if it existed and just hang it in my living room

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, zed said:

yeah i read, piles of crap. I'd buy a cheap one if it existed and just hang it in my living room

They did some nice paint designs 

IMG_20190829_132334.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lost in transition said:

Coming in hot!!! 

images (21).jpeg

I think we have a winner :alien:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Ceepo thing is truly minging... what is that thing on the front wheel - eeeeeugh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an interesting ST thread a few years back, Jordan Rapp (pro) and his ex sponser got into a public spat, I think it centred around the reliability issues Rapp had with his Dimond beam bike, ended up in court.

 

https://www.triathlete.com/2017/05/gear-tech/embarassing-monster-feud-dimond-bikes-pro-jordan-rapp_301224

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, AJS said:

That Ceepo thing is truly minging... what is that thing on the front wheel - eeeeeugh?

Pretty gross eh.  Instead of a fork, a mud guard that comes out of the steerer...... Something got beaten with the ugly sick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, goughy said:

Pretty gross eh.  Instead of a fork, a mud guard that comes out of the steerer...... Something got beaten with the ugly sick!

Some decent aero benefits apparently, last i read it wasn't legal as it comes under the classification of "fairing" or some shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, zed said:

There was an interesting ST thread a few years back, Jordan Rapp (pro) and his ex sponser got into a public spat, I think it centred around the reliability issues Rapp had with his Dimond beam bike, ended up in court.

 

https://www.triathlete.com/2017/05/gear-tech/embarassing-monster-feud-dimond-bikes-pro-jordan-rapp_301224

It didn't end up on country and it wasn't anything to do with safety. Rapp had greedy piggies eyes, got a new deal and then tacked the litany of issues, which were real but not the underlying motivation.

If he had any real conviction, he would have stopped promoting Dimond and sent the  cash back.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FatPom said:

It didn't end up on court and it wasn't anything to do with safety. Rapp had greedy piggy eyes, got a new deal and then tacked the litany of issues, which were real but not the underlying motivation on later.

If he had any real conviction, he would have stopped promoting Dimond and sent the  cash back.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any of these bikes been inderpendant testing?. Id like to see the data on these beam, super flared bikes, vs a traditional triangle frame. That Ceepo with the mud guard doesnt make sense when the tires are acutally spinning inside that mudguard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lost in transition said:

That Ceepo with the mud guard doesnt make sense when the tires are acutally spinning inside that mudguard.

My thoughts on that are that the mudguard probably helps aerodynamics, but there would be additional air resistance slowing the rotation of the wheel due to the small gap between the tyre and the mudguard. If I did the physics on this I'd probably prove myself wrong, but I just have this hunch.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/08/2019 at 6:51 PM, Bored@work said:

I’ll be riding this bad boy around Nice next week. 

2B0847AF-DAA1-48BF-B908-41AA9D961B78.png

Spend $20k on worlds most aero bike then raise the front end equal height of saddle to throw away any aero gain... I wish I had money to blow like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Spend $20k on worlds most aero bike then raise the front end equal height of saddle to throw away any aero gain... I wish I had money to blow like that

Lower is not always more aero, but yeah I think this bloke might be better riding a roadie..... 

Edited by pieman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...