more

How to stop need to poo

So I never used to have this problem but recently when on my runs I am finding half way through my guts start churning and I need to take a crap. Sometimes I can hold it until home but others I need to beeline to the public toilet. I'm worried it's becoming a habit. 

So what have you found works to tackle this, particularly on race day? I have been having coffee before the run and taking a dump but the problem remains. Would Imodium be a good idea? 

I don't have an answer for this but I get exactly the same thing. Funnily enough it doesn't bother me on race day though because I am up extra early and manage to do a couple of toilet stops before the race starts. On training mornings there's only a 15 minute gap between when my alarm goes off and when I am out the door. So I only get one toilet stop. However I have found it if I go the night before, as well as in the morning, I am able to make it through my long runs. Also I need a lot of salad and spinach. On the days where I have eaten this a day or two before it also makes it worse. If it's training runs, I don't really worry about it. I just make sure there's a toilet on my run course. However a couple of days out before a race I will ease up on the salad and veggies. I did speak to my GP about this as I was a bit concerned as well but he said it's just normal. Because when you're running he get everything moving. However I don't know why it never used to happen to you and now it does. Have you changed your diet? Are you using gels? They used to always do it to me. I don't run with any nutrition now in training. Because I used to have a gel and then need a toilet within 10 minutes. Good luck. And don't forget to carry tissues with you just in case! Also there is an app cold public toilet finder. Download this in case you're ever running an unknown areas!

• Like 1

I was the same, and I accepted it. It mainly affected me in the morning, so I always started my forest run with a 2km loop that went back past the main park area, and I stopped for a quick drop in the toilet there before continuing on with the run. Once I'd been that first time on the run I was fine.

Like Cranky, I never had a problem race-day. I think I got rid of everything in the nervous shits before it started.

• Like 2

I suggest finding a new sport. This is frankly an embarrassing situation for you.  

• Haha 4

When I changed my diet, this issue went away for me. When eating clean foods, I have a far less issue. (For me it is when following LCHF diet more religiously, I have far less stomach issues). 

• Like 2

I take gastro stop 45 mins before all running races.  For some reason, I've never had the problem in a triathlon, but as per what Cranky said, that's likely because we are up hours before we actually start so have time for a few toilet stops.  Or maybe because it's swim, then bike before the run, so the innards have time to adjust prior to the pounding of a run ???

For training runs, I just know exactly where all the public toilets are on my runs (pun unintended)

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies so far! I don't eat until after my runs but haven't changed my diet except have increased my fat intake via half an avacado in my morning shake. Otherwise I guess I have a reasonable amount of fibre-oats every morning and broccoli and or kale most days.. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I suggest finding a new sport. This is frankly an embarrassing situation for you.  

^^^^this guy... 🤬

💩💩💩

You just like Ironman because its the only sport where you get to take a nap half way through 😂

15 minutes ago, more said:

You just like Ironman because its the only sport where you get to take a nap half way through 😂

I've only done that once.

But I have stopped for dinner twice.

I had the same and thought the fiber was the culprit so would ease back the day/night before. But then I wondered if I'd be hindering my system morning of race/session to get that first one out the way haha 🤷‍♀️

You actually stop to take a crap? What's the sport coming to.

I have found that since I stopped running a few years ago, I no longer have this issue!! 🤣

• Haha 2

This is a training run right?

Why would you want to take an unnecessary medication imodium to stop it occurring and potentially stuff up your gut health long term.

It wants to be out, let it free.

54 minutes ago, Wronggenes said:

This is a training run right?

Why would you want to take an unnecessary medication imodium to stop it occurring and potentially stuff up your gut health long term.

It wants to be out, let it free.

Yep training run but I'm scared it's becoming a habit. For example every morning when I wake the first thing I do is have a crap-it's a habit. 

If my body gets used to crapping in training runs I've got no hope of avoiding it on race day.. 

Hand down the back, scap it & flick it at the crowd as u run past them.

Some ppl look for an excuse. Others will look for a way to make it happen. These are the ppl who line up at Kona. While the others watch online as keyboard warriors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, more said:

Yep training run but I'm scared it's becoming a habit. For example every morning when I wake the first thing I do is have a crap-it's a habit. 

If my body gets used to crapping in training runs I've got no hope of avoiding it on race day.. 

I couldn't do 5km without having to crap in the morning, even if I went before I ran. It was the bouncing I assume that got everything down the end and wanting to come out. Never had this problem with riding or swimming. And as I said, in over 100 Tri's and similar number of fun-runs, Half & full marathons, I never once had to crap myself, or stop to avoid it.

• Thanks 1

My marathon PB was a double dump run.

I reckon I would have been significantly slower if I took old mate's option.

Similar questions about stopping/preventing this kind of thing have appeared on running forums for millennia.

When mother nature knocks at the door, you must answer it.

10 minutes ago, Merv said:

When mother nature knocks at the door, you must answer it.

Especially when it's the back door.

39 minutes ago, Slunnie said:

In a post-race interview, a reporter asked him, "Did you ever consider stopping to clean off?"

"No, I'd lose time," he explained, "If you quit once, it's easy to do it again and again and again. It becomes a habit."

Printing this photo with this text on it. Never read something so motivating in my life.

"If you quit once, it's easy to do it again and again and again. It becomes a habit."

Not sure which habit I'd prefer.

• Haha 1

"poop-Man" - he's not the first or the last to endure this (camera's usually have the good manners to not immortalise the moment).

Edited by trifun