Cranky

Who can read MRI scans?

Just had my shoulder scanned but have to wait until Wednesday to get the results from my GP. They gave me a CD with the pictures on it, which I'm yet to look at, but just wondering if anyone here is a radiologist or knows how to read MRI scans? Or am I just going to have to learn to be patient and wait until Wednesday?

If I remember from my knee MRI's, it needs special software to read it.  Be a patient patient.

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Wait for report and then see physio not a GP

Seeing the gp for the results and will take them to the physio that afternoon

5 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Seeing the gp for the results and will take them to the physio that afternoon

your physio can access the report.  don't need to see the GP. 

18 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

TBH I'd just wait and let a trained professional give you the results :)

Why would you when people on the internet can tell you what you need to know, right now?

Cranky, no need for me to see your images, you're good to go! Swimming, running, lifting, boxing/kickboxing, wrestling - just go for it! If it gets sore drink more milk (for bones) and eat more meat (for muscle).

You're welcome :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't believe she hasn't asked Dr Google yet?

I’ll give it a crack if ya like Cranky. I will warn you, I’m pretty sure amputation is the only solution though 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Isn't it an MRI of her neck?

When it comes to knees, not even the experts can interpret them with 100% accuracy.  They often don't know the full extent of the injury till they are inside with an arthroscopic camera.

And then the moral hazard can kick in - 'oh, it is only a small meniscal tear, but I'm in here anyway so I may as well trim it out'.

Though in my case, the tear was actually much bigger than the MRI indicated.

I imagine it's similar with shoulders.

Yep, mine didn't show the full extent either.

39 minutes ago, goughy said:

Yep, mine didn't show the full extent either.

Mine showed a lot of missing cartilage & degradation of the bone. If it didn't show the full extent, then I'm really ****ed. :(

On 27/08/2019 at 8:13 AM, dazaau said:

Why would you when people on the internet can tell you what you need to know, right now?

Cranky, no need for me to see your images, you're good to go! Swimming, running, lifting, boxing/kickboxing, wrestling - just go for it! If it gets sore drink more milk (for bones) and eat more meat (for muscle).

You're welcome :)

Thank you!

On 27/08/2019 at 8:49 AM, Tyno said:

I’ll give it a crack if ya like Cranky. I will warn you, I’m pretty sure amputation is the only solution though 

Wrong! I like dazaau's response better!

So here is the report. GP reckons I need surgery. Off to the physio now to see what he thinks.

If I don't like what either of them have to say I'll just do what dazaau said!

20190828_135533.jpg

20190828_135446.jpg

• Sad 3

I feel that you have a subacromial decompression and scrape coming your way and a tendon re-attach, with 12 weeks of immobility, followed by extensive physio thrown in, plus a couple of bouts of frozen shoulder on the way to recovery, thus requiring a couple of hydro's.

Thank me later and I won't charge for that consult.

• Sad 1

Suregry vs no surgery is not based on an MRI, but whether you have lost the ability to lft arm above horizontal, what your pain is like and if you have marked weakness. That MRI by itself shouldn't dictate what your treatment is. 90% of people of a certain age would have an MRI that looks like that. Ultrasounbd is a waste of time IMO, you should have had an MRI with contrast injection to properly check the cuff tendons.

You should have Physio and strengthening work first, if your movement lifting your arm doesn;t change pretty quickly thats a poor sign and you may indeed need a rotator cuff repair, and lose a year of your life to rehab.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Look, Parky has some good points, but that could all be avoided with my suggestion.......

• Haha 2

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 8:45 AM, goughy said:

Can't believe she hasn't asked Dr Google yet?

I don't use Google.... my wife knows everything!!!!

• Haha 1

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, Parkside said:

Surgery vs no surgery is not based on an MRI, but whether you have lost the ability to lft arm above horizontal, what your pain is like and if you have marked weakness. That MRI by itself shouldn't dictate what your treatment is. 90% of people of a certain age would have an MRI that looks like that. Ultrasounbd is a waste of time IMO, you should have had an MRI with contrast injection to properly check the cuff tendons.

You should have Physio and strengthening work first, if your movement lifting your arm doesn;t change pretty quickly thats a poor sign and you may indeed need a rotator cuff repair, and lose a year of your life to rehab.

Parkside nails it right there!!!

My Story here from a few years ago. I was skiing the day after a crappy night of snow and rain. In short I ate shit (as my son described it) and hyper extended my arm/shoulder. In Short:

Phsio at AIS at Olympic Park

Checked everything.... found no issue.

Did physio for 2 weeks. After one exercise, I thought its similar to cleaning windows..... I cleaned a lot of windows.

Painful for next two days.

Insisted on being reviewed again. Physio took me into the orthopaedic surgeon. Could not find an issue.

Sent me for a MRI - Result - Fracture down my arm (Humerus)

Walks out in a sling :( But at least I know root cause and have a plan to remediate.

• Like 1

The surgeon that I went to (highly recommended by a swim squad mate) doesn't operate in the public system, but wanted his opinion anyway.   He has referred me to the Mater and I will hear back from them and they will put me on the waiting list. He said that I have two options. 
One is physio and a steroid injection, the other is surgery. However considering that I will probably be on the waiting list for months (I forgot to ask how long the waiting list would be), I can do the physio between now and then and if it helps I can cancel the surgery, and if it doesn't help then I have the surgery done when imake it to the top of the list. It's a full 6 months recovery after surgery. The first six weeks being in a sling. 

I'm back to the physio tomorrow. It's much better now than it was. I can run and hold the TT position on the trainer with mo discomfort at all. I just can't swim.

Darren was awesome!!! Highly recommend him. Didn't push me into surgery. Gave me all the options and possible side effects of each. He's at Brisbane Private if anyone needs one. 

So can noosa be transferred to a team if I cant swim by then?

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Got an answer to my own question this morning. Just FYI in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation one day...

Hi Jo, 

Yes you are able to change to a team until sold out.

You will need to register and pay for a team. You must be the team captain and participating.

Once complete please email to confirm as well as confirm if the credit card used for your individual entry is still valid and we will process a refund of your individual entry fee.

Do teams generally sell out? I thought they would have sold out by now. Individual entries sell out on the day they open! I don't want to change to a team unless I have to, but I am not in a position to make that decision yet. If I do race, it will not be a good one, but I still would like to do it solo! (I'm not much of a team player) :down:

Everything used to 5 years ago.  Of all races in Aus, if anything was going to sell out is have thought it would be Noosa.

If I remember correctly last year they published on facebook the status of the teams as they came close to selling out. So if that happens again this year you can probably leave it for a bit.

30 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Do teams generally sell out? I thought they would have sold out by now. Individual entries sell out on the day they open! I don't want to change to a team unless I have to, but I am not in a position to make that decision yet. If I do race, it will not be a good one, but I still would like to do it solo! (I'm not much of a team player) :down:

Jo-lene.

DO NOT SWIM!!!

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Jo-lene.

DO NOT SWIM!!!

WHY?

I was going to have this discussion with my physio tomorrow afternoon. About what pain, if any, is good and what is bad, and how long should I NOT swim for. If it's going to aggrivate it, I won't. I'm only dumb most of the time. When it comes to injuries and what is best in the long run, I am able to pull myself up.... as shown with my ATFL recovery last year.

Thanks for caring though.

6 minutes ago, Cranky said:

WHY?

I was going to have this discussion with my physio tomorrow afternoon. About what pain, if any, is good and what is bad, and how long should I NOT swim for. If it's going to aggrivate it, I won't. I'm only dumb most of the time. When it comes to injuries and what is best in the long run, I am able to pull myself up.... as shown with my ATFL recovery last year.

Thanks for caring though.

Different beast ankle v shoulder.  The injured area is part of your shoulder it will not heal if you keep using it.   Pain or no pain.  It means everything else is going to work harder as well that leads to the issues.     Think of 10 years down the track rather then 1 Noosa Triathlon.   It will still be there next year but if cpntinually push the envelope with your shoulder you may not swim in the future.  

Edited by Fitness Buddy
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I was going to have this discussion with my physio tomorrow afternoon.

Good. Make sure he knows that you can't go there and do a relaxing 1500m, and that you will be trying your hardest. Unless he says you can jump back into the pool and train in a couple of weeks, you would be better off doing the team. With no real training between now & then, you aren't going to have a good race, and you may do more damage. Remember, this isn't just a strain. You've a significant tear in a tendon.  

• Like 1

Goughy is stupid, Cranky.  Don't be like Goughy!  It's one race......... Take a break, let it recover and heal properly!  Really, how important is that one race to you?  If you really can't give it a miss, change to the teams and ExH will swim for you.

IT IS NOT WORTH IT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Goughy is stupid, Cranky.  Don't be like Goughy!  It's one race......... Take a break, let it recover and heal properly!  Really, how important is that one race to you?  If you really can't give it a miss, change to the teams and ExH will swim for you.

IT IS NOT WORTH IT

Yeah, it's not that important. It just shits me cause they won't let me transfer it to next year and the refund is hardly worth talking about. IM corp sucks!  NX Sports would transfer it to any other race of theirs with no fees!!

And now you know why many of us avoid IM brand races and stick to smaller run events.....

• Like 1

If you had followed my advice, you could practically be healed by now.

And a bit lighter.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tyno said:

If you had followed my advice, you could practically be healed by now.

And a bit lighter.

And able to enter smaller categories in some races, and possibly make an Olympic team.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cranky said:

The surgeon that I went to (highly recommended by a swim squad mate) doesn't operate in the public system, but wanted his opinion anyway.   He has referred me to the Mater and I will hear back from them and they will put me on the waiting list. He said that I have two options. 
One is physio and a steroid injection, the other is surgery. However considering that I will probably be on the waiting list for months (I forgot to ask how long the waiting list would be), I can do the physio between now and then and if it helps I can cancel the surgery, and if it doesn't help then I have the surgery done when imake it to the top of the list. It's a full 6 months recovery after surgery. The first six weeks being in a sling. 

I'm back to the physio tomorrow. It's much better now than it was. I can run and hold the TT position on the trainer with mo discomfort at all. I just can't swim.

Darren was awesome!!! Highly recommend him. Didn't push me into surgery. Gave me all the options and possible side effects of each. He's at Brisbane Private if anyone needs one. 

Sounds like a good plan.

• Like 1