nealo

100km/50km training, how long? How far?

So I'm thinking of doing a 100km Ultra, will definitely be doing a 50km.

Pretty sure I'm right to get through training for a 50 but the 100, I have my doubts.

How long (time) or how far (distance) are suggested for the long runs? 

Or is it about doing more? As in still doing the long run but the other runs during the week still have to be of considerable distance?

Do zero training and just do 100km.

It will hurt like hell.

You won't win.

You'll be sore for a week after.

But just think of all the time you'll save doing no training.  All those free weekend.

The only thing you need is to be mentally tough. Which you already know you are.

Edited by Peter
  • Haha 3

I've been enjoying those free weekends since May 2015, maybe enjoying them a little too much.

Time to focus some energy towards something.

A lot will depend on terrain. For the 50km, you can just do that on regular IM type running volume, maybe ramp it up a bit.

My first ultra was 88km with 1900mtrs of vert. The race was in mid June but I'd had a half decent road season from Xmas to March, averaging approx 50km per week but increasing toward the latter part.  

Between March and June I averaged closer to 70km. My longest run in distance was 42kms, my longest in time was a very gnarly 37kms which took me 5hrs and my biggest week was 102km.

If you want some perspective, I ran a trail marathon in early May with 900mtr vert in 4.11.  My 88km ultra with 1900mtrs vert got done in 13.49!

The massive difference was walking speed. Although I had a hip injury, the speed at which people can walk the hills is crucial. I thought I was fast but I was strolling really.

So whilst running is important, IMO, nothing beats a combo of: time on feet, total vert and learning to walk hills quickly.

When you are running, don't neglect speed sessions, they won't be as fast as before because of the increased volume but you need to keep going to the well.

Edited by FatPom

Are you looking at doing the one in the Blue Mountains?

when i did a 100km, i was very focused on avoiding injury or mental fatigue

my longest run was 35km

Most weeks topped out at about 80km

I did allot of double run days, run to work 13km, run home 13km with backpack to practice carrying gear, maybe once or twice a week.

I learn to check ego in and run slow and walk hills. Would run jog about 40 seconds/km slower than my normal long run cruising speed for some runs.

I did 1 100km week only because i really wanted to and it nearly killed me. Longest run that week was about 16km, but 3 double run days, and 2 days off, two single run days.

Used my bike as a recovery tool, and to initially do some longer sessions.

After a run would then walk with family to spend more time on my feet.

Found the most comfortable shoes i could to run in for training

Had days off if mentally toast

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Do zero training and just do 100km.

It will hurt like hell.

You won't win.

You'll be sore for a week after.

But just think of all the time you'll save doing no training.  All those free weekend.

The only thing you need is to be mentally tough. Which you already know you are.

hey, don't just copy my UTA100 plan!

The only thing you got wrong is there are some parts that will be sorer than for just a week.  But 80% in a week for sure. 

1 hour ago, Rog said:

Are you looking at doing the one in the Blue Mountains?

Maybe :blink:

• Like 1

Forgot to say, get into it, the Trail community are very chilled. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Good luck with it, it’s a pretty cool race and I found it very hard!

it was a while ago now that I did it, and I don’t think I prepared myself for what was coming to me, but my training was mostly runs to from work, some double run days and 2 long runs Saturday and Sunday. Some of the longest training runs I did were about 70km but I’m not even sure I needed to go that far but just be more consistent throughout. One thing I neglected was the fact that with so many hills you really want to be super light. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rog said:

One thing I neglected was the fact that with so many hills you really want to be super light. 

I guess I'm lucky it's not till May next year. Unlucky that entry opens in 5 weeks. 

The plan is to train up for Australian Alpine Ascent 50km in Feb and continue through for the UTA.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rog said:

Some of the longest training runs I did were about 70km but I’m not even sure I needed to go that far but just be more consistent throughout. One thing I neglected was the fact that with so many hills you really want to be super light. 

That is the main problem, trail running doesn't have a huge amount of equipment you can shave weight from, so that only leaves one other option,,,,which sucks very badly. :lol:

• Haha 5

Hit the trails often. Both in training and racing.

Basics to practice include:

• descending efficiently and smoothly on steep uneven terrain, without trashing your quads.
  • walking the hills/climbing stairs strongly.
  • running on technical single track.
  • drinking and eating, particularly running comfortably after consuming all manner of food. (You may have a specific nutrition plan, but some hot soup and a sausage sandwich may be what you find yourself eating on a cold wet night).
  • a blister management plan.
  • avoiding chaffing, including selecting most comfortable clothing and lube application.
  • familiarising yourself with clothing and conditions, eg. knowing how much, how little or what combination of items to wear in cold, rain, etc.
  • headlamp /night running
  • managing glasses or contact lens, if applicable
  • pack selection and how to pack (weight distribution, ease of access, ease of inspection, etc)

There's a whole lot trail ultra smarts that will exist in the void between AAA 50km and UTA 100km. The best way to tap into it is by spending time on trails, particularly with experienced trail runners. It's a friendly, welcoming sport, and trail runners are happy to share knowledge and ideas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Where are you running now you're over here?

12 minutes ago, Katz said:

Where are you running now you're over here?

I'm not running very much at all. A good week might total 30km and 0 mileage weeks aren't at all uncommon. I usually just waddle around South Perth, Kings Park, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend persuaded me to join him on the trail from Mundaring Weir to Helena Valley. It ended up being 35km by the time we returned to the car. Probably about twice as far as my current fitness warranted, but loads of fun.

I do miss the bush and the trails which were never too far from home in Sydney's northern suburbs.

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

pack selection and how to pack (weight distribution, ease of access, ease of inspection, etc)

There's a whole lot trail ultra smarts that will exist in the void between AAA 50km and UTA 100km. The best way to tap into it is by spending time on trails, particularly with experienced trail runners. It's a friendly, welcoming sport, and trail runners are happy to share knowledge and ideas.

I'm not foreign to the trails it's just been a long time having done 6ft in 09 and 10.

I've been running often on the trails, it's 1.5km from my place to the Royal National Park. I've hit Honeyman Stairs (1km of stairs) at about 18km and then proceeded to trip over 300m later on tired legs. Lifting the lazy tired legs is one thing I'm getting better at. While it's no Blue Mountains I am pretty lucky to live where I am with the National Park and the Pipe Line (one run had 765m climbing in 23km).

That void between 50km and 100km is the big unknown to me.

Kicking it off down at Wingello a week Saturday with the 24km. My heart wanted to do the 50km but a friend wasn't up to it so wanted to do the 24km with him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’m thinking about doing the 100km in Marin County in San Fran next year. Come and do the race with me. 

Is the family going?

53 minutes ago, nealo said:

Is the family going?

Probably not. It’s In November during the school term. 

Besides I don’t want to risk my family going to San Fran it’s a shit hole with ppl peeing & pooing in the streets.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

All of us will be going to East coast 2 months after that so I doubt I can do. 

35 minutes ago, nealo said:

All of us will be going to East coast 2 months after that so I doubt I can do. 

You ask for permission? Pffft rookie 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bored@work said:

You ask for permission? Pffft rookie 

You don't know me if you think that.............

Financially no can do.

17 hours ago, Paul Every said:

I'm not running very much at all. A good week might total 30km and 0 mileage weeks aren't at all uncommon. I usually just waddle around South Perth, Kings Park, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend persuaded me to join him on the trail from Mundaring Weir to Helena Valley. It ended up being 35km by the time we returned to the car. Probably about twice as far as my current fitness warranted, but loads of fun.

I do miss the bush and the trails which were never too far from home in Sydney's northern suburbs.

Very much our neck of the woods. We're 5 mins from the Heritage Trail which gets you up to Mundaring and Helena Valley is around the back of us.  Nice spot to run. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Besides I don’t want to risk my family going to San Fran it’s a shit hole with ppl peeing & pooing in the streets.

You're talking about my hometown :-). Although I wouldn't want to move back. Still, not a lot of difference between ragged people peeing and pooing in the Streets of San Francisco versus the trails of Marin County.

Which race are you looking at?

1 hour ago, steve said:

You're talking about my hometown :-). Although I wouldn't want to move back. Still, not a lot of difference between ragged people peeing and pooing in the Streets of San Francisco versus the trails of Marin County.

Which race are you looking at?

You must have missed my Cali love on the other thread. People were banging on about how horrible & dangerous Cali is.

I love the place.  Mt Tam, Stinson beach, dipsy trail, Corte Madera,  Donut Alley, Johnny's donuts, Burritovill.

it's the Northface 100 that I'm thinking of doing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

You must have missed my Cali love on the other thread. People were banging on about how horrible & dangerous Cali is.

I love the place.  Mt Tam, Stinson beach, dipsy trail, Corte Madera,  Donut Alley, Johnny's donuts, Burritovill.

I lived over that way for a few years. Loved it. In Davis, but rode, ran, kayaked and surfed everywhere.  Did most of those trails and roads. 

On 22/08/2019 at 5:46 PM, Rog said:

Holy shit, 16:37?

i just scared off my training partner telling him your palmares and your time. 

2 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

I lasted 30 seconds watching the video .....

I attempted to watch it about a year ago and lasted about the same. I think it was linked on ST.

17 hours ago, The Customer said:

I'll summarise:

- Reeboks are the bomb.

- You don't need to train for an ultra coz anyone can do one in Haiti without anyone watching.

ftfy

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Why do you hate orphans? 😀

That is very unfair.

An innocent child's parental circumstances has no bearing on my universal disdain for children. :ranting:

• Haha 3

After watching the carnage while my Wife participated in Oxfam the last couple of days I've decide to do AAA 50km in Feb and then back up for the UTA 50km. If I prepare so well then obviously I'll complete it in a smashing time.

There'll always be another 100km.

• Like 3

On 22/08/2019 at 9:43 PM, Bored@work said:

Yeah, thanks. There's a lot of good stuff here. It's not dangerous, but there are places where civilised behavior is in short supply.

That looks like a great race.

I entered UTA 50 

I didn’t enter AAA I had already entered husky long course ( I got an early bird price ) 

• Like 1

Mark Robson did a "100km" ultra with limited training and went pretty well.