trifun

Netball is a dangerous sport

Just when I'm finally starting to get back into training after last summer's cardiac scare / broken bike / shoulder strain.

Doing a relief lesson with year 9s, (netball unit), one gets sore leg and has to stop playing so I swap ref duties for a players bib to keep the teams even, jump for ball and land on foot that obligingly folds under me, great I think, rolled ankle - nooooo snapped 5th metatarsal.

Looks like another slow and gentle Noosa coming up.

I should take up something safer like hang-gliding.

• Sad 2

Don't say that!  I ended up in surgery after filling in for my daughter's mixed indoor netball team, one game!  And I now do yoga up to 4 times a week!

12 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

just don't take up Yoga!  it ranks even higher than netball on the injury scale.

Or Lawn Bowls.  those players drop dead on the grass all the time.

• Haha 2

How fun is it though? Love a good game of netball. Unfortunately though, being 6'3" and 85kg, I don't stop real well, and unfortunately get done for a fair bit of contact (keep the sniggers to yourself), but some of the opposition ladies get properly stuck in and give as good as they get.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, BNothling said:

How fun is it though? Love a good game of netball. Unfortunately though, being 6'3" and 85kg, I don't stop real well, and unfortunately get done for a fair bit of contact (keep the sniggers to yourself), but some of the opposition ladies get properly stuck in and give as good as they get.

You should try walking netball. Yes, it is a thing.

Adding a ball to walking...... Walking netball, sounds like The perfect way to run a good walk..... oh, hang on!  Is that golf?  I love golf.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

You should try walking netball. Yes, it is a thing.

I have seen that actually. I reckon it's a good idea. 

As fun as netball is, it's nothing on Ultimate Frisbee. I don't think I've ever been challenged physically as much as after a night of that sport. Brilliant fun but draining.

23 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I have seen that actually. I reckon it's a good idea. 

As fun as netball is, it's nothing on Ultimate Frisbee. I don't think I've ever been challenged physically as much as after a night of that sport. Brilliant fun but draining.

When I could run, I used to enjoy racing around a large oval chasing a frisbee to try to catch it. It's actually a great way to do high intensity training.

• Haha 1

You had more hair then too!

images (11).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Netball, soccer, Ultimate Frisbee all violate my rule of 'never play a sport where you're required to move laterally.' After that many years going in a straight line, it would just be a matter of time till I did something to an ankle, knee, hip etc etc

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

You had more hair then too!

images (11).jpeg

But it was a bugger throwing it without those tiny hands. 

• Haha 1

Someone say tiny hands?

images (12).jpeg

• Haha 1

Yes absolutely! I love netball, but my daughters won't be playing it.. my knees aren't great and I'm lucky I stopped playing when I did.

On 22/08/2019 at 9:12 AM, Cat Lady said:

just don't take up Yoga!  it ranks even higher than netball on the injury scale.

Rubbish.

We've discussed this old wive's tale before. Netball is high on the list for twisted ankles, hand and finger strains but especially ACL knee injuries.

I just read a report about Yoga injuries and they recorded only 118 injuries in 7 years. Netball ranks at 14 injuries per 1000 hours played. Do the maths.

I'm yet to go to a yoga class where anyone has been injured.

Edited by trinube

On 22/08/2019 at 1:31 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

When I could run, I used to enjoy racing around a large oval chasing a frisbee to try to catch it. It's actually a great way to do high intensity training.

You play by yourself? Throw it and then chase it? That would be tough!

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 8:20 AM, trifun said:

I swap ref duties for a players bib to keep the teams even,

Rookie error right there!!!!!

PS: What Tim G said below:

Netball, soccer, Ultimate Frisbee all violate my rule of 'never play a sport where you're required to move laterally.

I was watching a doco on ACL injuries quite a few years back & netball, due to its one step rule, was deemed one of the riskier sports for that sort of injury. One of the things they did in the doco was film & try to measure the amount of force going through a girls knee when she ran hard, took the ball & stopped - and she tore her ACL while doing the test.

20 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Keep reading

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170627105433.htm

my daughter played netball for two seasons.  During that time none of the girls on her team suffered anything worse than a broken fingernail.  

Luckily your daughter is not a slighly overweight, unco-ordinated 54 year old, with a lifetime of training for straight line activities, trying to mix it with 14 year olds.

Reminder to self: Teach, not do "team sports"!

Thought for HOD - maybe we should teach this unit using "walk netball" (yes that is a thing!)

I used to play mixed netball at a fairly competitive social level for quite some time. Basically ended up with rooted ankles after a while and took up the comparatively far more safer running (then tris). 

I also played both soccer and rugby during my years. but never had as many injuries as I did with netball. People might think its 'tame' but its often has far more contact than soccer, thats for sure!

I played netball for many years when I was at school, didn't even get a finger injury.