Bored@work

Nice 70.3

Ryf - first on the clock and first on the 'freshometer'.

lawrence 2nd

Imogen Simmonds 3rd

Cracks me up how Ryf is chit-chatting to the other women casually as they cross the line at the time where they are barely able to breath or stand up. It's like she's showing them all how 'fresh' she is. 😂

Edited by The Customer

Easily up to 60 penalties now for failing to dismount on time. 

They are also giving out 1min penalty for undoing helmet straps before bike is racked 

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

For any guys racing tomorrow. Stick to the right coming into T2. There is a small lip as the cobble stones end 

Thanks for the tips mate. 

Liked the video of you catching bikes on the live feed yesterday 

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Liked the video of you catching bikes on the live feed yesterday 

Thanks. My buddies & I had a blast giving back to the sport 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Customer said:

Who the honk is Gustav Iden?

The new WC by the look of it. 

BTW - I have never heard of him either

NSF

9 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Who the honk is Gustav Iden?

Iden-know. :lol: 

• Haha 1

He was one of the 3 that won when him and his mates came 1,2,3 a few months back at the wts race.  

But I had to look that up. 

4th in Tokyo test event, 4th in Lausanne too. So in pretty good form. 

Edited by Tyno

Almost 3 minutes to second is a pretty convincing win. He was also the AG world champion 13-16 in London so a young pup. 

also found this https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Gustav_Iden_here._Ask_me_anything_P6626013/

Edited by Rog

20 hours ago, Bored@work said:

& the rocks on the swim exit are also a bit dodgy so be careful. 

What kit are u wearing? I’ll keep an eye out for u.

Sorry mate, I didn’t see your post. I’ve got to say a big thank you to you and all the volunteers - it’s a huge thing you’ve done and it’s really appreciated.

I had a so-so day. Male 40-44 so was first to go after pros. Swam a 29min, rode bang on 3 hours (!) and ran 1:44. I shredded my legs on that ride, the only word I can think of is brutal, amazing scenery though. I took the road bike and I’m really glad because I think I handled the decents with more confidence, not being a great decender. Some of the other riders were going at break-neck speed - no regard for human life. Pretty impressive though. 

I think the hard ride meant my run was off. Coach wanted a sub 1:40 split from me but I spewed twice and just wasn’t going to happen. 

All in all, probably overall the toughest race I’ve done but it was great to be a part of it. It’s really motivated me to qualify for Taupo next year now. 

77BAD569-2AD7-41E4-B3A8-16D54E008121.png

ED3B2381-71F0-45B6-B9AD-472F4C54E6D7.jpeg

A64003CA-F211-4A3E-95D7-E7C9F045C1C8.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wombattri said:

Sorry mate, I didn’t see your post. I’ve got to say a big thank you to you and all the volunteers - it’s a huge thing you’ve done and it’s really appreciated.

I had a so-so day. Male 40-44 so was first to go after pros. Swam a 29min, rode bang on 3 hours (!) and ran 1:44. I shredded my legs on that ride, the only word I can think of is brutal, amazing scenery though. I took the road bike and I’m really glad because I think I handled the decents with more confidence, not being a great decender. Some of the other riders were going at break-neck speed - no regard for human life. Pretty impressive though. 

I think the hard ride meant my run was off. Coach wanted a sub 1:40 split from me but I spewed twice and just wasn’t going to happen. 

All in all, probably overall the toughest race I’ve done but it was great to be a part of it. It’s really motivated me to qualify for Taupo next year now. 

77BAD569-2AD7-41E4-B3A8-16D54E008121.png

ED3B2381-71F0-45B6-B9AD-472F4C54E6D7.jpeg

A64003CA-F211-4A3E-95D7-E7C9F045C1C8.png

Well done. One of those races you remember all your life.

• Like 1

Great report by bergs. 

surprised no one commented on the fact the world champion was on a roadie!

37 minutes ago, Rog said:

Great report by bergs. 

In the post race interview he said he didn’t own a TT bike. 

40 minutes ago, Peter said:

In the post race interview he said he didn’t own a TT bike. 

He owns a TT bike it’s just an old one for 2011. He doesn’t have a bike sponsor. 

I see Alexandre Vinokourov and Laurent Jalabert won their respective age groups... hmmmmmmm

10 hours ago, Rog said:

Great report by bergs. 

I'm surprised more weren't on roadies. I'd climb and descend quicker on my roadie and there wasn't much flat stuff on that course. Not sure what Brownlees TT bike weighs, but my BMC road bike is almost 3kgs lighter than my BMC TT bike.

On ‎7‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, Bored@work said:

EF9DEAA8-4B76-4A90-9FF7-6914396A2EB3.jpeg

Yuck, its in imperial, not metric, I'd hand it back...…...

Only kidding, well done volunteering and to all who raced, looked like a great weekend of celebrating this wonderful sport!

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I see Alexandre Vinokourov and Laurent Jalabert won their respective age groups... hmmmmmmm

And then this happened. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/vinokourov-could-face-jail-for-allegedly-fixing-cycling-race/2019/09/10/08f752e0-d3e0-11e9-8924-1db7dac797fb_story.html?noredirect=on

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Faaark. Next thing you’ll be telling me that professional wrestling is rigged.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Yuck, its in imperial, not metric, I'd hand it back...…...

Only kidding, well done volunteering and to all who raced, looked like a great weekend of celebrating this wonderful sport!

So that's not 1.2 meters, 52 meters and 13.1 meters? Thought it was a bit short

• Haha 1

Went 98 days without alcohol to avoid getting sick while I trained through a Melbourne Winter for Nice. Then suffered a bout of food poisoning the day before the race.  Finished the race to collect my medal, but about an hour slower than I should have been and ended up in the medical tent on a drip.

Awesome course, but way too overcrowded for the men's race.  My wave start was about 2/3rds of the way through and the rolling start (with 3,700 athletes) meant there was a constant stream of athletes on the course. You simply could not find a gap.  I was passing riders from 2 or 3 waves ahead of me and being passed by the faster athletes from the waves after me.

Lots of drafting the entire ride including all the hills. Only saw 1 rider get pinged for drafting and 1 rider for cutting the course (using the inside lane of the road around a hairpin), but the penalty tents were all empty when I passed.  I thought the hilly course would solve the drafting problem, but WTC just added heaps more competitors.

Descents may have been OK if you were in the first or last wave, but the middle waves suffered massive congestion with very large variances in bike handling ability (Zwift & TrainerRoad have made this worse).  Extremely dangerous, lots of crashes and hospital admissions, surprised there weren't more.  Suspect it would have driven me crazy if I was healthy and aiming at a good result.

Support on the run was terrific, possibly the best I have ever experienced.  Like others mentioned above, the rural French are so much nicer than those in Paris.

Definitely enjoyed the French Riviera (was staying 30 mins out of Nice in a place called Mougins, closer to Cannes).  Absolutely loved the course when I did my recon on the Wed before the race. Hated the overcrowding during the bike leg of the race, but enjoyed the run course.  Would love to do another 70.3 on this course with around 1,000 competitors (ie. a quarter of what we had), but unlikely to ever do another 70.3 Worlds events (having now experienced Mooloolaba & Nice).  Note that the 3 female competitors I was staying with did not suffer any of my issues - far less competitors and they were in the last wave.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Went 98 days without alcohol to avoid getting sick while I trained through a Melbourne Winter for Nice. Then suffered a bout of food poisoning the day before the race.  Finished the race to collect my medal, but about an hour slower than I should have been and ended up in the medical tent on a drip.

Awesome course, but way too overcrowded for the men's race.  My wave start was about 2/3rds of the way through and the rolling start (with 3,700 athletes) meant there was a constant stream of athletes on the course. You simply could not find a gap.  I was passing riders from 2 or 3 waves ahead of me and being passed by the faster athletes from the waves after me.

Lots of drafting the entire ride including all the hills. Only saw 1 rider get pinged for drafting and 1 rider for cutting the course (using the inside lane of the road around a hairpin), but the penalty tents were all empty when I passed.  I thought the hilly course would solve the drafting problem, but WTC just added heaps more competitors.

Descents may have been OK if you were in the first or last wave, but the middle waves suffered massive congestion with very large variances in bike handling ability (Zwift & TrainerRoad have made this worse).  Extremely dangerous, lots of crashes and hospital admissions, surprised there weren't more.  Suspect it would have driven me crazy if I was healthy and aiming at a good result.

Support on the run was terrific, possibly the best I have ever experienced.  Like others mentioned above, the rural French are so much nicer than those in Paris.

Definitely enjoyed the French Riviera (was staying 30 mins out of Nice in a place called Mougins, closer to Cannes).  Absolutely loved the course when I did my recon on the Wed before the race. Hated the overcrowding during the bike leg of the race, but enjoyed the run course.  Would love to do another 70.3 on this course with around 1,000 competitors (ie. a quarter of what we had), but unlikely to ever do another 70.3 Worlds events (having now experienced Mooloolaba & Nice).  Note that the 3 female competitors I was staying with did not suffer any of my issues - far less competitors and they were in the last wave.

Agree the mens field was way too large. My friend was in the last age group and had a 2hr wait from transition closing to his race start. 

• Sad 1

On 11/09/2019 at 6:09 AM, AJS said:

Vinokiurov had an Astana team car driving him around all week

Saw a young lady this morning at Sydney Airport with her Championship gear just after customs. She said it was fantastic in Nice. A long trip home. 

• Like 1