Bored@work

Nice 70.3

Who’s going to Nice for the 70.3?

I’m heading over & plan on drinking coffee & eating donuts. 

Might do a couple of rides around the area. A day trip Monaco but that’s about it. 

Any other things to do/tips in the area? 

How much would u budget for food per day. Not interested in fancy food etc. 

anyone keen to catch up for a coffee? 

I was planning on going but have realised that a 6 week old baby and training, travelling, sleeping aren't compatible so pulled the pin...

There's tons of great things to see and do - a few highlights for me from time there in the past......

Amazing walks (Cap Ferrat, Cap Martin or from La Turbie down to the coast)

Head up inland for sightseeing (Grasse, Entreveaux etc)

Stunning cycling once you get out of Nice itself

Fab food

Places to visit (Eze village, Antibes is nice, Monaco is kind of what you expect - one quite cheap (relative term) way of entertaining yourself there is go to the swimming pool that's in the port (on the grand prix course)...

That should keep you out of mischief!!!

For those going and for those who can listen to Triathlon Taren - he did an interesting interview with pro Rudy Van Berg - who grew up in Nice and really knows the bike course. 

http://triathlontarenpodcast.libsyn.com/2019-im-703-world-championship-scouting-report-with-rudy-von-berg

The bit from 27mins - 37 min discussed the bike and run course in detail. Rudy definitely recommends a TT bike!

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Might do a couple of rides around the area. A day trip Monaco but that’s about it. 

Go have a beer at Frommey's place in Monaco 😀😀😀

I'll be racing in Nice, but staying 30 mins out of town.  Happy to catch up for a coffee and/or ride

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

I'll be racing in Nice, but staying 30 mins out of town.  Happy to catch up for a coffee and/or ride

Sounds good 

33 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

Go have a beer at Frommey's place in Monaco 😀😀😀

Does he do non-alcoholic beer? 

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

A day trip Monaco but that’s about it. 

If you are walking outside carrying food in Monaco, be very careful.  There are these big-arse gulls, almost as big as a wedgie, that will fly down, smack the side of your head so you drop the food, then pounce on it.

4 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

If you are walking outside carrying food in Monaco, be very careful.  There are these big-arse gulls, almost as big as a wedgie, that will fly down, smack the side of your head so you drop the food, then pounce on it.

Sweet I’m going to put food on my mates backpack when he’s not looking & wait for him to get smashed 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Sweet I’m going to put food on my mates backpack when he’s not looking & wait for him to get smashed 

Absolutely.  Have a little bit of pizza sticking out of his pack, and then walk by that castle on the waterfront where the cafes are.  Make sure you film it 😃.

Saw this girl walking along talking on her mobile which was wedged between ear & shoulder, carrying food in  two hands.  Big Angel of Death swooped down, boofed her & she dropped the lot.  Before she could say "you feathered fcuk", it was off with half a pizza.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

20 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Drove thru Nice this morning - it's a hell hole 😂

(If you love being surrounded by billionaires in baking hot weather sipping terrible robusta coffee shots then you'll love it. Me... not so much.)

The Matisse museum is very good though. I also recommend a visit to Matisse's Rosary Chapel just up the road a bit in Vence.

If you're cycling around the Cote d'Azure the traffic is horrendous. I got out North into Les Alpes Maritimes about an hour drive North of Nice - cycling was superb.

Edited by The Customer
  • Haha 1

On 20/08/2019 at 8:27 AM, Bored@work said:

Yep I’ll be there. We get in on Wednesday arvo, maybe drive the bike course on Thurs, Ironkids (x2) race on Friday. Watch the girls race Saturday, race on Sunday.

We are staying about 2 blocks back from the race start/finish. Having a week in Nice after the race and will do some day trips. I’ve been to Nice once before, but that was nearly 20 years + 20kg ago - I really enjoyed the donuts back then.

I’m at the “geez I’m sick of training” stage, so maybe that means I’m ready.

Happy for a coffee and/or ride pending family requirements.

I’m here now and it’s pretty awesome as a base to explore the area.

Just back from a morning visiting Antibes and Cannes.

Yesterday we drove down to Verdon Gorge via the mountains, stopped at a bunch of villages on the way. Cycling looked amazing lots of groups on the road and it was just a Tuesday morning. 

Day before we went down to Monaco, had a coffee and an ice cream at the marina soaking it all up. 

Also visited a little beach called Plage Paloma, definitely worth the trip but parking was hard. 

Tomorrow back to Paris for another couple of days before the return to reality. 

If the 70.3 course hits any of the mountains around nice it will be a pretty good challenge. I’m guessing the run is along the coast somewhere so should be flat as. 

Weather has been amazing low 20s in the morning up to about 30 in the middle of the day. Nice is far from a hell hole but it is super busy in the town centre. 

All I can say is I’ve been to much worse hell holes.

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Ha I was looking forward to this trip.

Go down to Monarco and Visit Bernard Tomic, He would love to do coffee and a few donuts in his lambo.

I quite liked our few days in Nice back in 2013.

Highlights were watching the Team TT of the Tdf and wandering around the Esplanade/beach.

Lowlight was spotting some unknown (at the time) Trannie (via his Trannie cap) and saying g'day then having our teenage girls say "hey, we thought Trannies were all old ugly middle-aged blokes, that guy was actually damn cute" 🤨.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I quite liked our few days in Nice back in 2013.

Highlights were watching the Team TT of the Tdf and wandering around the Esplanade/beach.

Lowlight was spotting some unknown (at the time) Trannie (via his Trannie cap) and saying g'day then having our teenage girls say "hey, we thought Trannies were all old ugly middle-aged blokes, that guy was actually damn cute" 🤨.  

The White Prince?

I wouldn't have said Nice was a hell hole either! Yes, it gets bloody busy in tourist season - and is shite for driving / parking - but as per some of the other comments, there's worse places to spend your aussie winter! Cycling round there is great once you get out of the city itself 🙂 

On 20/08/2019 at 9:07 PM, The Customer said:

Drove thru Nice this morning - it's a hell hole 😂

(If you love being surrounded by billionaires in baking hot weather sipping terrible robusta coffee shots then you'll love it. Me... not so much.)

The Matisse museum is very good though. I also recommend a visit to Matisse's Rosary Chapel just up the road a bit in Vence.

If you're cycling around the Cote d'Azure the traffic is horrendous. I got out North into Les Alpes Maritimes about an hour drive North of Nice - cycling was superb.

We arrived yesterday. Staying in a 3 bedroom place over looking the Marina. 

I really like it so far. The cafe & restaurants are awesome. The weather is perfect. 

This is my first trip to Europe & I’m loving it. 

If this is a hell hole, can’t wait to see the good parts of Europe. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Customer said:

You'll be flabbergasted

I’m really enjoying France. I’m already planning on bringing the girls back for a family holiday. 

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’m really enjoying France. I’m already planning on bringing the girls back for a family holiday. 

And you've experienced the French arrogance right? 🙄

23 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

And you've experienced the French arrogance right? 🙄

Nope. I have made an attempt to learn French. They often laugh at my attempt but I think they appreciate that I have tried. 

• Like 1

The French are lovely. The only arrogance I've encountered is occasionally in Paris when my French is appalling or from English tourists 😉

In rural France the people are awesome.

Just got back from there last month on a holiday.

The Nice Old Town is nice to wander around. Definitely check out the walk around Cap Ferrat. If you like quaint hilltop villages then St Paul de Vence is well worth a visit. I also took the kids white-water rafting in the Verdon Gorge which is beautiful and great for hikes and cycling. Didn't really enjoy Monte Carlo or Cannes, just a bit of a concrete jungle but St Tropez was nice albeit a little more difficult to get to (in the summer at least).

Enjoy.

11 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Nope. I have made an attempt to learn French. They often laugh at my attempt but I think they appreciate that I have tried. 

Excellent!  Yes, the French are very sensitive to the expectation that everyone speaks English.  My husband is learning French and spent a few weeks in New Caledonia.  3 Aussie guys at the train station were attempting to get tickets but speaking in English.  The lady behind the counter basically said she couldn't understand them, so my husband helped out by translating for them.  Then when it was his turn, he started asking for his tickets in French.  She smiled and returned the answers in fluent English...

I was being facetious about the arrogance - once you leave the tourist areas in Paris, I find the the French very friendly, helpful and hospitable.  But I am biased being half froggy myself.  But it's the reputation that they have...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

Excellent!  Yes, the French are very sensitive to the expectation that everyone speaks English.  My husband is learning French and spent a few weeks in New Caledonia.  3 Aussie guys at the train station were attempting to get tickets but speaking in English.  The lady behind the counter basically said she couldn't understand them, so my husband helped out by translating for them.  Then when it was his turn, he started asking for his tickets in French.  She smiled and returned the answers in fluent English...

I was being facetious about the arrogance - once you leave the tourist areas in Paris, I find the the French very friendly, helpful and hospitable.  But I am biased being half froggy myself.  But it's the reputation that they have...

Did he go to CREIPAC? I'm thinking of going there for a 2 week immersion next year and would love to know what it's like, if it's value for money etc.

12 hours ago, The Customer said:

The French are lovely. The only arrogance I've encountered is occasionally in Paris when my French is appalling or from English tourists 😉

In rural France the people are awesome.

This. Although the National Front is rampant in rural France as well. ...

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Did he go to CREIPAC? I'm thinking of going there for a 2 week immersion next year and would love to know what it's like, if it's value for money etc.

Yes he did - he did 2 weeks with CREIPAC.  Started off in a class that was too easy, but ended up in the next class up and found that challenging for the first week and very challenging for the second.  Any other questions you have about it, PM me and I'll forward them to him...

45 minutes ago, zed said:

Where is the race being televised?

Facebook... ironman now I think it is

• Like 1

Seems like the moto capturing Holly Lawrence is right in front of her!!! 

16 minutes ago, emski said:

Seems like the moto capturing Holly Lawrence is right in front of her!!! 

Ala sunshine coast 2016

Volunteering in T2 today. Because there is more to volunteering than just handing out a few plastic bottles. Giving back to the sport & not making money off it 

DDAC0AE8-1B1C-4C03-99A5-05C349FC9E32.jpeg

• Like 2