Jump to content
roxii

Where ya been?

Recommended Posts

So on the Trump thread people weer mentioning places they had traveled to.

So where have ya been? 

For me

Zimbabwe

France

Italy

Fiji

Bali

UAE

US (NYC, LA, Hawaii) 

Singapore

Finland

England

Ireland 

Scotland

A few other places in transit, or when I jumped off the Fairstar for the day but they don't really count. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a lot OS, but there's not much of Qld I haven't been to, including nearly every small town between Coen (yet to get right up the cape), right through the gulf & down to the SW corner. I've also ridden 90% of the Bruce Highway from Brisbane to Cairns at various times over the years. Lived out of a work car/truck for a number of years and got to experience my own country the way a lot of people can't imagine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went on a cruise thanks to family, so a few hours in Noumea, Lifou and Port Villa.  Have made it up as high as Cairns, but not since grade 5.  As far as traveling Australia, I haven't as yet spent a 24hr period outside of Queensland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm lucky to have travelled to a lot of countries and places often with work but with enough time to have a poke around. I also got to holiday around Europe when younger.

Off the top of my head:
UK
Ireland
Jersey
France
Spain
Belgium
Holland
Portugal
Greece
Turkey
Cyprus
Italy
Czech Republic
Latvia
Poland
Iceland
USA (NYC, Michigan, Minneapolis, Arkansas, San Fran)
New Zealand
Australia
Singapore
Hong Kong
India
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
Cambodia
Vietnam
Malaysia
China
Indonesia (Bali & Jakarta)
Korea
Japan
Morocco
The Gambia
Ethiopia
Egypt
 

Like I said, incredibly lucky!

 

Edited by monkie
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roxii said:

So on the Trump thread people weer mentioning places they had traveled to.

So where have ya been? 

For me

Zimbabwe

France

Italy

Fiji

Bali

UAE

US (NYC, LA, Hawaii) 

Singapore

Finland

England

Ireland 

Scotland

A few other places in transit, or when I jumped off the Fairstar for the day but they don't really count. 

Been to hawaii.  And a triathlete.  interesting

Edited by Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 laps of australia

Nz

tahailand

Usa

laos

malaysia

vietnam

japan

sth korea

indonesia

madagaskar

new caledonia

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the biggest standouts for me are:

Syria, Kazakhstan, Albania and Iran - now there's some mighty interesting places, let me tell ya...

But also:

UK, Germany, France, Poland, Italy, Vatican City(?), Albania, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman, India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Vietnam, South Korea, China, Hong Kong(?),Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, Canada, USA.  I think there's a couple more there somewhere but I can't remember :)

 

edit: forgot Switzerland! :)

 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not a lot OS, but there's not much of Qld I haven't been to, including nearly every small town between Coen (yet to get right up the cape), right through the gulf & down to the SW corner. I've also ridden 90% of the Bruce Highway from Brisbane to Cairns at various times over the years. Lived out of a work car/truck for a number of years and got to experience my own country the way a lot of people can't imagine.

Been to Georgetown? I got stuck there for three days. Was drunk for all of them.

USA (10 times - & survived)

Mexcio

Canada

Indonesia

Thailand

Malaysia

France, Italy (in a couple of weeks)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sri Lanka (early 70s surfing)

Tasmania (surfing once and other times as tourist)

Guam (work trip)

Norfolk Island

Amsterdam to Budapest (river cruise)

Fiji

New Zealand (East Coast cruise)

Just got back from tour from Darwin to Broome

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Pete said:

Probably the biggest standouts for me are:

Syria, Kazakhstan, Albania and Iran - now there's some mighty interesting places, let me tell ya...

But also:

UK, Germany, France, Poland, Italy, Vatican City(?), Albania, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman, India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Vietnam, South Korea, China, Hong Kong(?),Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, Canada, USA.  I think there's a couple more there somewhere but I can't remember :)

 

 

O.K I Have to ask-why Syria, Kazakhstan, Albania and Iran? Was it work or pleasure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, more said:

O.K I Have to ask-why Syria, Kazakhstan, Albania and Iran? Was it work or pleasure?

Pete probably thought the USA was too dangerous so went to Syria instead. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, roxii said:

So on the Trump thread people weer mentioning places they had traveled to.

So where have ya been? 

Ironjimbo:

Queensland.  But he is an expert on any country because he reads the travel section of the newspaper of a sunday.   hahaha

Edited by Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, more said:

O.K I Have to ask-why Syria, Kazakhstan, Albania and Iran? Was it work or pleasure?

'twas work. 

Syria was just prior to the ISIS shitstorm. I had a chance to travel to some of the great archaeological sites like Palmyra but thought "In a hurry to get home, will do it next time" .  Great people and amazingly awesome food but many aspects of a real hard-ass police state kinda feel.  Damascus is amazing - one of the oldest places on earth - I stood where Jesus did in front of some church or other, and visited the place where Cain killed Abel, apparently....

Kazakhstan - despite how physically beautiful the people are (kinda Asian, kinda Russian), one of the most pathetic and ugly societies I have ever had the misfortune to visit.  If you have wanted to see what a city was like with no quality (in anything) go to Astana....  I understand Almaty is a better experience.

Albania - that place is just so wrong. Don't go there.

Iran - possibly the nicest people and the best food ever.  Would love to go back. 

 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England

Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Australia
NZ
France
Belgium
Germany
Luxembourg
Switzerland
Spain 
Canary Islands
Iberia
Portugal
Netherlands
Monaco
Austria
Poland
Italy
Madeira
Guernsey
Jersey
Greece
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Turkey
USA
Canada
Argentina
Peru
Chile
Colombia
Bolivia
Mexico
Belize
Sth Korea
China
Hong Kong
Japan
Singapore
Thailand
Fiji
India
Sth Africa
Egypt
Malaysia
Edited by FatPom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Monkie and Pete have the crown at the moment.  Travelling to hard places is,,,  challenging. Some of the countries on their lists are worth three easy ones.

Edited by FatPom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I think Monkie and Pete have the crown at the moment.  Travelling to hard places is,,,  challenging. Some of the countries on their lists are worth three easy ones.

Spending a week at Yarrabah or Cherbourg has to be worth a month in a lot of places too FP. I felt as welcome as a pork salesman at Ramadam, even though I was there to provide them with the new TV channels they'd been whinging for.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

England

Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Australia
NZ
France
Belgium
Germany
Luxembourg
Switzerland
Spain 
Canary Islands
Iberia
Portugal
Netherlands
Monaco
Austria
Poland
Italy
Madeira
Guernsey
Jersey
Greece
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Turkey
USA
Canada
Argentina
Peru
Chile
Colombia
Bolivia
Mexico
Belize
Sth Korea
China
Hong Kong
Japan
Singapore
Thailand
Fiji
India
Sth Africa
Egypt
Malaysia

RESPECT!!!! I'm very jealous of that list. My original plan was to take my daughter to a different country every year but we feel in love with the USA & made great freinds over there.

I think it's time we start travelling to Europe as a family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have a lot of motivation to travel overseas.  There's too much to see and do here in Australia that I doubt I'll get to see/do even 10% of whats on my bucket list.  Problem is my bucket list involves more than just being there but rather spending time there and having a good look around. So the bucket list (in part) consists of:

  • Kakadu and Litchfield National parks in depth.  Was there briefly in 2014 but barely scratched the surface.
  • Kings Canyon
  • West and East MacDonnell Ranges
  • Arnham Land
  • Kimberleys
  • Western Australia (yeah all of it)
  • Channel Country of Western Queensland
  • Cape York (but not necessarily the OTT)
  • SA/NSW/QLD border region including Oodnadatta Track, Birdsville track, Coopers Creek, Camerons Corner etc
  • Broken Hill and Silverton (so I can appreciate it more this time)
  • Victorian High Country (in Summer)
  • Flinders Ranges
  • Tasmania (yeah all of it)
  • Murray River (if theres any water in it)

AJ

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England, France, Spain, Monaco, Italy, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, Liechtenstein, Singapore, Thailand, UAE, USA, Vanuatu, PNG, Solomon Islands, Fiji, Tonga, New Caledonia, New Zealand. In 10 days I will be visiting Indonesia. Next year already booked is Canada and Norfolk Island. The missus can add to hers as well of India, Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Hong Kong. 

I too have been lucky through my job having worked in five of these locations. 

FM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been lucky to travel a bit through sport my first trip OS was to wales for the world Slsc titles I was 17 1994  my eyes opened up to the world not long after I was in 

South Africa

zimbabwa 

Canada 

USA 

Italy

France 

Swiss 

Germany

Spain

Austria

Andora

Belgium

Monaco 

Ireland

Noumea

Indonesia 

Nth Folk island 

Singapore 

Most of the list except Indo was for sport I was lucky enough to get a start in an invation race in Monaco (don’t know why ,think they wanted to liven up the after party 😂) any way was awesome got put up in the casino in the water front room raced over part of the F1 circuit,Dinner with old mate Albert and the best part was had celebrity teams races with the likes of Franki Fredricks Tony Rominger F1 drivers Tennis players etc I just went around at the dinner getting photos and autographs sipping on my free beer😂

South African Rave party in Durban 

in 96 was a bit scary looking back on it  especially when you had to put your guns in the house safe before entering!WTF 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

RESPECT!!!! I'm very jealous of that list. My original plan was to take my daughter to a different country every year but we feel in love with the USA & made great freinds over there.

I think it's time we start travelling to Europe as a family.

I grew up, not exactly poor but definitely not rich. We lived in a bog std council house and could rarely afford family holidays. however, my parents both had the insight and commitment to send us on every school trip they could possibly afford, as they said travelling would never be as cheap for us.

On top of those, some work, some curious, some holidays. Have to say, the list additions have slowed up considerably since we had Flipper.  (mutter mutter boat anchors cough cough):whistling:

It's also a pretty good reason why our house is very small. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FatPom said:

I grew up, not exactly poor but definitely not rich. We lived in a bog std council house and could rarely afford family holidays. however, my parents both had the insight and commitment to send us on every school trip they could possibly afford, as they said travelling would never be as cheap for us.

On top of those, some work, some curious, some holidays. Have to say, the list additions have slowed up considerably since we had Flipper.  (mutter mutter boat anchors cough cough):whistling:

It's also a pretty good reason why our house is very small. :lol:

We made the same commitment to our daughter. Over the last 5 or 6 years I made the decision to focus on work over Ironman and its paid off. With a couple of cleaver strategic moves & calling in some favors. I have managed to progress a couple of spots on the corporate tree. Nothing major but enough to make a difference to the monthly pay check. We bought a new house but didn’t go nuts. I’m still driving my same 10 year old car. The extra money pays for holidays & life experiences with her. When she grows up she never going to say “my dad drove a fancy car or my Dad raced Kona” but she will be able to say “my Dad & I did heaps of cool stuff & hung out all over the world together”

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in London for 5 years, so visited every country in Europe in a Kombi van.

Also did a 3 month trip through Puru, Bolivia and Brazil. I spent 3 days in Abu Dhabi on the way.

In Asia I have been to China, South Korea, Nepal, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Singapore and Hong Kong. I am working in Mongolia at the moment.

I have a legacy spot for Kona this year so I will be spending two weeks in Hawaii and two weeks in California in Sept/Oct.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia

England 
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
NZ
France
Belgium
Germany
Luxembourg
Liechtenstein
Vatican City!!  ha ha
Switzerland
Spain 
Canary Islands
Morocco
Portugal
Netherlands
Monaco
Austria
Poland
Russia
Hungary
Ukraine
Belarus
Czech Republic
Croatia
Italy
Jersey
Greece
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Iceland
Greenland
Finland
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
USA
Canada
North Korea
China
Hong Kong
Cambodia
Papua New Guinea
Singapore
Indonesia
Sth Africa
Zimbabwe
Zambia - although only for the day, so doesn't really count.
Israel
Jordan
 
Haven't done any of Sth America but would like to as I chase 7 continents marathon club. Would like to combine Antarctica and Sth America as it's sooo expensive and time consuming to get there. It helps when you've lived in Europe for a while! and that the USSR broke up.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Zealand
Canada
England
Italy
France
Iceland
Nepal
Singapore
Thailand

(All states in Aus except Northern Territory)

Next week I go to Switzerland, France, Amsterdam, Scotland, England

Wish list: Antarctica, Galapagos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turtle said:

 

North Korea
 
 
Haven't done any of Sth America but would like to as I chase 7 continents marathon club. Would like to combine Antarctica and Sth America as it's sooo expensive and time consuming to get there. It helps when you've lived in Europe for a while! and that the USSR broke up.

I thought of you when typing my list. I have/had a Nth Korean stamp in my passport but it's the one you get at the DMZ by the 'Peace Train' . There is a Nth Korean trip via the non tourist part of the DMZ that can be done on Wednesdays with enough notice but I can never do it now because I'm married to a Sth Korean.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I thought of you when typing my list. I have/had a Nth Korean stamp in my passport but it's the one you get at the DMZ by the 'Peace Train' . There is a Nth Korean trip via the non tourist part of the DMZ that can be done on Wednesdays with enough notice but I can never do it now because I'm married to a Sth Korean.

They were strict with us about saying "Don't put this in your actual passport". Fortunately I had my expired one with me (we were on the way back from the UK where I renewed it) so I put the stamp in that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, monkie said:

They were strict with us about saying "Don't put this in your actual passport". Fortunately I had my expired one with me (we were on the way back from the UK where I renewed it) so I put the stamp in that one.

Mine would have been in an old expired Aussie one (valid at the time). Come to think of it, we had to hand our passports in at the DMZ, so I can't quite remember how I got this at all.  It was a whacking great stamp with a dove on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia 

Fiji

Vanuatu

USA: California x 2, Nevada, DC, NY, Florida, Seattle, Hawaii x 3 never for triathlon 

Mexico

Canada: West and East on 3 trips

Thailand

England, Scotland, Wales 

France

Austria

Germany

Luxembourg

Netherlands

Slovenia

Italy

Belgium

Monaco

Europe was done twice, once with my wife as 21 year old backpackers and once as soigneur for a cycling team

Next is USA and Canada Jan for skiing, Yosemite and northern lights photography, then Maldives for surf/50th trip next winter. After that will prob be Scandinavia and Europe +\- the kids perhaps. I have no car at present, commuting by bus while my kids use the handed down hatch backs and probably won’t buy myself a car until after the next 2 trips are done. It’s a great trade off I reckon. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, FatPom said:

Mine would have been in an old expired Aussie one (valid at the time). Come to think of it, we had to hand our passports in at the DMZ, so I can't quite remember how I got this at all.  It was a whacking great stamp with a dove on it.

I flew in and trained out.  We only got a blue piece of paper and yes, you hand you passports over. (gulp).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, FatPom said:

I thought of you when typing my list. I have/had a Nth Korean stamp in my passport but it's the one you get at the DMZ by the 'Peace Train' . There is a Nth Korean trip via the non tourist part of the DMZ that can be done on Wednesdays with enough notice but I can never do it now because I'm married to a Sth Korean.

I still think NK will open up in our lifetime. It's definitely worth a visit if you can. I'm still in touch with our english Guide who goes over pretty much annually. He actually just took a cycling tour through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turtle said:

I still think NK will open up in our lifetime. It's definitely worth a visit if you can. I'm still in touch with our english Guide who goes over pretty much annually. He actually just took a cycling tour through.

I can never go, whilst I'm married to Mrs FP.

It won't whilst the US are at the DMZ.  They have an expression which roughly translates to:  " We cannot put our hand in your hand, whilst your hand is in the Americans".

Side fact:  The is a huge satellite city in the north of Seoul called Ilsan, it was built to slow down any invasion from the north of Seoul 'proper'.  Houses were pretty cheap. when it was built! (not now).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot's of countries, but these days don't bother going further than NZ......though bonefish on fly on Kiribati might be worth a look.

My wife is keen for Canada though (have not been there yet) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A mate goes to the Cook Islands for bonefish. 

FM

Edited by Flanman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice lists from everyone. Mine is nowhere near as extensive...

Germany

UK

Poland

Russia

Latvia

France

Austria

Italy

Malta

Switzerland

Denmark

Sweden

Norway

 

Japan

Hong Kong

 

USA

Mexico

NZ

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In sort of chronological order

NZ, then many returns later for work

Malaysia

Singapore

London (*2, still do do the rest of the UK)

France (*6, have covered more than most French people, still more to see and I want to live there)

USA (4 trips, covered about 20 states so far, no plans to return anytime real soon)

Switzerland

Austria

Leichtenstein

Slovenia

Italy

Monaco

Germany

Czech Republic

Spain (Catalunya)

Belgium

UAE

Thailand

China (multiple work visits, one tour with the school band)

Hong Kong

Japan

Canada

Iceland. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...