Cranky

Chop Garmin file

So when I stacked my bike in my race last weekend, no one stopped my Garmin! It Auto paused when I fell off but when they put it in the truck to take back to the start line and then when Dazz threw it in the back of the car to take home it started up again. I know once upon a time I have been able to chop off the last lap, where I press the lap button at the end of a race instead of the stop button, but is there a way to chop it off from a certain time?

IMG_20190811_090326_927.jpg

need to do it on your computer.  open the ride you want to edit.  on the left hand side next to the edit button are three small dots which when you run your cursor over will say "more"  if you click on that then a side bar opens and you will see one option saying "crop" just move the "end point" button back till you get to where you stacked. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AA7 said:

And it matters why? 

It matters to Cranky. Does it matter why? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AA7 said:

And it matters why? 

Cranky is a little anal (sorry cranky, you know it's true!) And I bet she slept better after it had been trimmed. 

• Like 1

There's a much simpler way.... :)

Export your activity to "TCX" file format onto your PC.  

Using a suitable text/code editor open up the file and look for the point where you want to stop recording. To find this point you could use the point where your speed went to zero or your heart rate started to drop off - each point will like something like this:

<Trackpoint>
            <Time>2019-08-09T22:35:39.000Z</Time>
            <Position>
              <LatitudeDegrees>-37.8755509480834</LatitudeDegrees>
              <LongitudeDegrees>144.81323048472404</LongitudeDegrees>
            </Position>
            <AltitudeMeters>1.600000023841858</AltitudeMeters>
            <DistanceMeters>5027.72021484375</DistanceMeters>
            <HeartRateBpm>
              <Value>153</Value>
            </HeartRateBpm>
            <Extensions>
              <ns3:TPX>
                <ns3:Speed>2.947999954223633</ns3:Speed>
                <ns3:RunCadence>87</ns3:RunCadence>
              </ns3:TPX>
            </Extensions>
          </Trackpoint>

Delete all the points up until the next  </Lap>  tag

Then delete all laps following ie everything from this tag       <Lap StartTime="xxxxxxxxZ"> to this one  </Lap>

Upload the edited file back into garmin connect or directly to strava or whatever.  Chances are you have totally mucked up and it crashes everything, but at least you went down fighting.... but if you didn't and it works, you can then delete the original activity and, voila!, you have earned your "junior XML editor" gold star.

FWIW I just did one of my "forget to hit the stop button at the end of a park run and got an extra k in the car" activities.  All good in every way except it still thinks I did 6 k, even if everything else check out and the map is OK.

Edited by Pete
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turts said:

It matters to Cranky. Does it matter why? 

I'm interested to know why it matters. Which is why I asked.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

I'd do it, just to appease the OCD side of me that doesn't like saved data not matching the  reality. My training is very adhoc, but I would still be compelled to correct the data.

So many people forget to turn off their device after training, get in the car and drive off taking lots of KOMs. It's good to know how to cut that car bit off the session.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

So many people forget to turn off their device after training, get in the car and drive off taking lots of KOMs. It's good to know how to cut that car bit off the session.

When I DNF'd Race to the Stones, I was waiting for my sister to pick me up and forgot to switch off my watch. I went from an average of 9min kms to a best split of 77kph :lol:

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, AA7 said:

At a guess I'd say so its probably something to do with having an accurate record of her ride before the crash, for kilometers, effort etc.  

Just guessing. 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 8:11 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Just get rid of the stationary bit. You may get a few KOMs for the ambulance ride. :)

Lol. That's what I'm trying to get rid of!

On 20/08/2019 at 8:15 AM, Turts said:

At a guess I'd say so its probably something to do with having an accurate record of her ride before the crash, for kilometers, effort etc.  

Just guessing. 

And I don't deserve the badges the ambulance and trip home gave me.

I'll give it a go when I get a sec.

Thanks!

On 19/08/2019 at 11:11 PM, bRace said:

I'd do it, just to appease the OCD side of me that doesn't like saved data not matching the  reality. My training is very adhoc, but I would still be compelled to correct the data.

My saved data never matches my "reality".....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, trifun said:

My saved data never matches my "reality".....

Does reality match your "reality".....?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Does reality match your "reality".....?

Paging "Neo" - Matrix error

There is also another option

You can crop your file within Strava as well.

So if it is just strava you want to fix, after uploading, go to the activity page, in the left panel at the bottom, click the three dots, and select crop. (Assuming you are using a desktop, not a phone app)

The added benefit, is you can then export the new activity, and it will export as cropped, so you can then add that back to TP etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

So if it is just strava you want to fix, after uploading, go to the activity page, in the left panel at the bottom, click the three dots, and select crop. (Assuming you are using a desktop, not a phone app)

The added benefit, is you can then export the new activity, and it will export as cropped, so you can then add that back to TP etc.

Yes. It will need to be fixed on TP, CG, Strava, TR. Lol

17 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

Good stuff CH - I gave this a go and it is by far the easiest way to do it (even if editing the TCX file is more fun!).  I thought that only  time and position data was saved in an export of GPX but when I attempted to prove you wrong and gave it a try I found it worked. Upon closer inspection it appears that GPX also allows field extensions (called GPX Track Point Extensions - "gpxtpx") just like the TCX files do - like this one <gpxtpx:atemp>21</gpxtpx:atemp> for temperature :)

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Good stuff CH - I gave this a go and it is by far the easiest way to do it (even if editing the TCX file is more fun!).  I thought that only  time and position data was saved in an export of GPX but when I attempted to prove you wrong and gave it a try I found it worked. Upon closer inspection it appears that GPX also allows field extensions (called GPX Track Point Extensions - "gpxtpx") just like the TCX files do - like this one <gpxtpx:atemp>21</gpxtpx:atemp> for temperature :)

Strangely enough, I think you are somewhat right as well.

I think that if you don't have summit (which ever one that does power, for instance), then you can't export power, etc.

(Or at least, I have had issues with limited data when exporting from Strava)

• Like 1