willie

Ironman Mt Tremblant

jesus that was close. How is Lionel Richie doing?

It's on facebook. Just search Ironman live.

This on the TV and Copenhagen on the iPad. 

Lionel gets his Kona spot. He was run down by Cody Beals but he's already qualified.

Meanwhile twits will be going off. 

Fark me that was close. 

Sarah True also got her Kona slot.

Having Sanders and True at Kona will make the race more interesting.

37 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Sarah True also got her Kona slot.

Having Sanders and True at Kona will make the race more interesting.

defo. Stoked he got a spot. 

Not sure how "true" it is, but someone said on Twits that she has dropped the keto approach to racing and went full carbs this time.

Focus on Sanders scratching his balls (metaphor) Sign of how far triathlon has fallen from its heady days of late 80's nineties. 

Watching the highlights, Sanders had blown big time at the end.

Still impressive given his limited training for the run.

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

Watching the highlights, Sanders had blown big time at the end.

Still impressive given his limited training for the run.

You got a link to those highlights?

Wonder if Sanders benefited from some adequate rest for once!

Edited by dazmuzza
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

You got a link to those highlights?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, more said:

Sanders still has the old man shuffle...

I can't wait for you to do your first ironman.  Can you make it Cairns next year?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

I can't wait for you to do your first ironman.  Can you make it Cairns next year?

Already locked and loaded. You got enough left in those legs for one more to join me?

15 minutes ago, more said:

Already locked and loaded. You got enough left in those legs for one more to join me?

No but I'll do the half and then sink some beers in the sun yelling, "You can do it" at you.

I'm sure he's not, but Lionel looks like he's running 6 min kms

53 minutes ago, Peter said:

No but I'll do the half and then sink some beers in the sun yelling, "You can do it" at you.

That’s the best way to enjoy cairns. I might even come back and do it again next year

53 minutes ago, zed said:

I'm sure he's not, but Lionel looks like he's running 6 min kms

He's doing it right then. Everyone looks slow until they pass you at sub 4min Kms... 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

There are people on this board who have not done an IM, this needs to go to the mods

37 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

There are people on this board who have not done an IM, this needs to go to the mods

Nope this site is about more than just IM.

4 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Nope this site is about more than just IM.

No way, people should not be allowed to post unless they have done one or laid down for a sleep during one

Talbot Cox has stated that the race plan Lionel told him prior to that race was followed through with. Race hard to midway of the run, and then if in a position to back right off and take the Kona slot without the damage of the back end of a hard marathon, do that. 

If this is the case, that’s a very smart race plan give the limited run training and limited recovery/prep time for Kona. Must be hard for a bloke like that to back off though.

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

No way, people should not be allowed to post unless they have done one or laid down for a sleep during one

Bahhhahaha

12 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

something you and AP could do together?

I'm still waiting for next month. There's some rain forecast, so I'm taking B@ up Mt Coottha for some reps. :)

You never know who we might see.

28 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm still waiting for next month. There's some rain forecast, so I'm taking B@ up Mt Coottha for some reps. :)

I was booked on a flight to Brisbane on Saturday but cancelled so I could take my daughter to see the Hilltop Hoods in Radelaide on Saturday night.

30 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

BTW did you see my Zwift race on Strava yesterday? Holding some good form & feeling super strong for the Crits season.

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I was booked on a flight to Brisbane on Saturday but cancelled so I could take my daughter to see the Hilltop Hoods in Radelaide on Saturday night.

So when are you heading up?

Sunday was literally Summer, and even though we are expecting a cold morning tomorrow, it's still t-shirt weather at 9pm tonight.

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So when are you heading up?

Sunday was literally Summer, and even though we are expecting a cold morning tomorrow, it's still t-shirt weather at 9pm tonight.

November I think. Then 5 weeks in March next year.

2 hours ago, The new guy said:

Talbot Cox has stated that the race plan Lionel told him prior to that race was followed through with. Race hard to midway of the run, and then if in a position to back right off and take the Kona slot without the damage of the back end of a hard marathon, do that. 

If this is the case, that’s a very smart race plan give the limited run training and limited recovery/prep time for Kona. Must be hard for a bloke like that to back off though.

That’s some world class turd polishing right there. The only portion of the run that Lionel looked strong and held form was running through transition. For the rest he looked like someone had taken baseball bats to his quads and had left a knife in one of his kidneys. 

Edited by Andrew #1

23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

BTW did you see my Zwift race on Strava yesterday? Holding some good form & feeling super strong for the Crits season.

Not a chance. I don't even own an indoor trainer. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

That’s some world class turd polishing right there. The only portion of the run that Lionel looked strong and held form was running through transition. For the rest he looked like someone had taken baseball bats to his quads and had left a knife in one of his kidneys. 

We get it,  he's not wurf so he's nothing...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

1:30 in re run comments

I thought he looked fine in some parts of the video.

Regardless, why would Lionel care? Even with that apparent "poor form" he still came second and qualified for Kona off the back of 6 weeks run training. 

I find it somewhat funny that we sit around saying his form is terrible when he accomplished far more in triathlon than most of us could dream of! (me especially!). It's kinda like saying Einstein's handwriting is terrible so we should basically throw his theory of relativity in the bin. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Might as well get on a cute little tandem so the latte sipping donut man doesn't slow you down :P Wait, does AP approve of tandems?

As for Lionel, he looks like shit biomechanically just walking, let alone running. Dude is getting good results and I dare say he just needs to find the sweet spot running for him. He's never going to run as well as Jan or Lange but he doesn't need to to win it IMO. 

However watching him run so upright doesn't make sense. He has no weight going forwards the way I see it in that video. I can't see how that is overly efficient over a long distance (maybe trying to take away slightly from quads). But alas he's motivated and will no doubt learn and adapt. I can't stand the bloke but he's definitely making the sport more appealing. 

If he can walk the walk like macca I reckon be can follow a similar kind of path into media etc afterwards. He's more entertaining the G Welch. 

42 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I find it somewhat funny that we sit around saying his form is terrible 

I don't like this comment.  There are about 5 people on here that think that. Yet I am still to see their video footage of them at 35km into an ironman. 

• Like 1

Well you can't help not notice his run form, it stands out like tits on a bull. You can still go quick with issues with your form and despite being quick, you can still get quicker by improving issues with your form e.g Michael Phelps. I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out he runs like he is wearing polio shoes or something.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, zed said:

Well you can't help not notice his run form, it stands out like tits on a bull. You can still go quick with issues with your form and despite being quick, you can still get quicker by improving issues with your form e.g Michael Phelps. I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out he runs like he is wearing polio shoes or something.

Tipping his run style would still be faster than 99.999% on this site at the end of an Ironman 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Tipping his run style would still be faster than 99.999% on this site at the end of an Ironman 

And his run still is shiter than 99% of the pro field.  Hey it still works and works well, but there is no denying it is ugly.

That being said it looked a hell of a lot better early in the race compared to what it used to. Whether there is anything to bio mechanics or if its just aesthetics..I dunno..

Edited by more
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, more said:

And his run still is shiter than 99% of the pro field.  Hey it still works and works well, but there is no denying it is ugly.

That being said it looked a hell of a lot better early in the race compared to what it used to. Whether there is anything to bio mechanics or if its just aesthetics..I dunno..

He also only had 6 weeks run training after 4 months of nothing.

I think everyone has their own style.  Some look awesome and others not so awesome. But if you can come second in Kona with a so called shit running style, then I am sure everyone on this site would take the so called shit running style.

And every pro that finished behind him.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

He also only had 6 weeks run training after 4 months of nothing.

I think everyone has their own style.  Some look awesome and others not so awesome. But if you can come second in Kona with a so called shit running style, then I am sure everyone on this site would take the so called shit running style.

And every pro that finished behind him.

I think all the pro's that rode 20 minutes slower than him, but ran 10 minutes faster than him might disagree.

If finishing second at Ironman MTB was Lionel’s A goal, then you’d all be right. If pushing 500 watts for 20 minutes on Zwift was Lionel’s B goal, then how good would that be? If Lionel was a 9-5 tax accountant and still managed to compete successfully as an age grouper or fringe pro with his busted arse cycling and running techniques then I’d be the first to say: chapeau Lionel!

since none of those apply to Lionel, one has to question his approach and terrible inefficiencies when racing guys that have the same or similar aerobic ability but bring silky smooth technique to the equation. Lionel is not going to out Zwift Jan, Patrick, Cam, Alistair, and all the others. With those inefficiencies he will always end up carrying a piano on his back from the energy lap and one or more of the others will always run him down. He’s in this not as a marketing exercise, but to win Kona. To race and beat the best at their best. On the evidence of what he has done since Kona in 2017, simply isn’t going to happen without a fundamental and enduring change (change Lionel can do, but he lurches from one extreme to the other). 

8 hours ago, Peter said:

1:30 in re run comments

Yep. Fair point, and that footage showed distinct improvement in form, as did a previous video of Lionel on the treadmill a few weeks ago. Still a long way of the silky smooth form of Tim Don running hard on a tread mill, but better. However, the bike footage I saw from the earlier clip still had Lionel all over the seat and with a hitch to his right side on the upstroke.