BarryBevan

Alan Jones

18 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

"Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders made up just over a quarter of prisoners in Australia"

Accords perfectly with the crime situation up here. 

Except for while-collar crime where the most (in) famous cases are Lebanese & a case study in how to buy your way out of jail - https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/the-mp-the-jail-visit-and-the-dole-deals-20130405-2hc50.html

Hannah is still happily walking the streets and doing 'deals', as is Torbay on his $300K/yr speakers pension and we all wonder what happened to the ICAC investigation?

For me, the rest of the article did not seem to support or disprove his last paragraph.  Being born is Australia is different to ethnicity. 

I didn't post it as definitive either way, I just thought bringing some facts to the discussion would be useful.

Unfortunately (as explained in the article) ethnicity is not tracked as that might have added some interesting insight.

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Unfortunately (as explained in the article) ethnicity is not tracked as that might have added some interesting insight.

Yes, that would have been the real eye-opener (or perhaps not?) that I was hoping to see.

6 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Yes, that would have been the real eye-opener (or perhaps not?) that I was hoping to see.

It's a fascinating challenge from a data analytics point of view. There are firstly the difficulties in recording ethnicity correctly and even defining what it means... is it a grandparent born somewhere? A parent? A great grandparent? A great great grandparent? Is it how you choose to define yourself? Which cricket team you support? Genetics (in which case most of us are a bit neanderthal)?

Then you have the challenge of separating out poorly defined ethnicity from any other contributing factor. The article I linked to highlights some of the challenges... new arrivals vs established. Immigration being higher in areas where it is cheaper to live and have higher crime rates in the first place?

And finally you have the issue of over zealous police interaction, if you flood a suburb with cops the crime rate goes up, not down (at least in the short term), because more police = more detection.

The academic literature on it is extremely interesting to read, I had a bit of a deep dive a year ago with another data nerd friend of mine with a focus on Sweden and sexual assault, it's a helluva warren!

Edited by monkie

12 minutes ago, monkie said:

It's a fascinating challenge from a data analytics point of view. There are firstly the difficulties in recording ethnicity correctly and even defining what it means... is it a grandparent born somewhere? A parent? A great grandparent? A great great grandparent? Is it how you choose to define yourself? Which cricket team you support? Genetics (in which case most of us are a bit neanderthal)?

In a lot of cases, a younger generation can be more identify themselves closer to an ethnicity than their parents. I know a few people a little older than me that came to this country as young kids, but define themselves as nothing other than Australian, yet their kids define themselves as Greek or Lebanese, or Turkish.

My wife just got her DNA tests back from Ancestry.com yesterday. 84% English/Welsh etc, and 4% Swedish. So now she's determined to find her Viking ancestry. :)

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

In a lot of cases, a younger generation can be more identify themselves closer to an ethnicity than their parents. I know a few people a little older than me that came to this country as young kids, but define themselves as nothing other than Australian, yet their kids define themselves as Greek or Lebanese, or Turkish.

The key to life is not to dwell in the past but to embrace the future!

The past is the past..... the future is unknown!!!

• Like 1

Just watched Anh Do interview and paint Alan Jones on his show on the ABC. I assume the episode was made before the latest furore but they could have at least added a trigger warning.

4 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Crying about drought but not big on doing anything about climate 

After all, it wasn't until 'climate change' that we ever experienced droughts... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As my kids used to say to me, would you like some aloe for that burn bazza? 🤣

bigger story is that the honeymoon is over between Scomo and AJ

3 hours ago, more said:

After all, it wasn't until 'climate change' that we ever experienced droughts... 

When did climate change begin

36 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

When did climate change begin

When the earth began...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

When the earth began...

Yes, we were all on mars, and we stuffed the climate there so we escaped in a pod, landed on earth, the two passengers were Adam and Eve, mad rooters, and the pod wiped out the dinosaurs and that’s basically when it all began on earth, an incestuous beginning but what a beginning. 

• Haha 2

Incest, the game the whole family can play....

climate change didn’t magically begin at one point or another, despite what some may try to tell you

it has been constantly changing forever and will continue to change forever, regardless of what we think we can do to effect the change 

If you really think that we are heading for a climate catastrophe, it’s would be far better to adapt to any change rather trying to stop something we cannot control

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Tinman said:

climate change didn’t magically begin at one point or another, despite what some may try to tell you

it has been constantly changing forever and will continue to change forever, regardless of what we think we can do to effect the change 

Exactly 

Which is why the intended insult of 'climate change denier' is in itself patently ridiculous 

Of course the climate changes.  That's what it does.  I'd be pretty concerned if it didn't change

And even if you believe that mankind is mostly responsible for it, the real question is how much of the world's population are you willing to impoverish in the name of 'solutions' which are nothing of the sort 

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Exactly 

Which is why the intended insult of 'climate change denier' is in itself patently ridiculous 

Of course the climate changes.  That's what it does.  I'd be pretty concerned if it didn't change

And even if you believe that mankind is mostly responsible for it, the real question is how much of the world's population are you willing to impoverish in the name of 'solutions' which are nothing of the sort 

When did it start to have bigger impacts? Did industrial revolution raise increase pace and effect? 

40 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

When did it start to have bigger impacts? Did industrial revolution raise increase pace and effect? 

You would think so, but in the middle of the 20th century temperatures dropped despite industrialism being in full swing

That's the 'hide the decline' decline

5 hours ago, Mr Tinman said:

If you really think that we are heading for a climate catastrophe, it’s would be far better to adapt to any change rather trying to stop something we cannot control

Bullshit, the pod hit the earth, adam and eve got out to dead dinosaurs.

15 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Bullshit, the pod hit the earth, adam and eve got out to dead dinosaurs.

So we killed the dinosaurs too!

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

You would think so, but in the middle of the 20th century temperatures dropped despite industrialism being in full swing

That's the 'hide the decline' decline

that's one data point in very very big sample

18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So we killed the dinosaurs too!

yes, yes we did... well not us, but our great, great...... grand parents, adam and eve did.

Live with the guilt, live with a heavy heart, turn to the arts to overcome, quote shakespeare - wherefore art thou T rex?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Well we've also had the head of the U.N. conceding that there has been 'no statistically significant warming' since the turn of the century 

Can anyone cite an IPCC prediction from the last 30 years which has turned out not to be overstated? 

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Well we've also had the head of the U.N. conceding that there has been 'no statistically significant warming' since the turn of the century 

Can anyone cite an IPCC prediction from the last 30 years which has turned out not to be overstated? 

Was that in the 2012 report, just before a 4 year period that when added to the previous 10 bumped the average temperature increases back up to what they were in the 2nd half of the 20th century?

15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Was that in the 2012 report, just before a 4 year period that when added to the previous 10 bumped the average temperature increases back up to what they were in the 2nd half of the 20th century?

To a level which is still less than predicted 

If a company's forecasts were as consistently bad as the IPCC's, the directors would be jailed 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

To a level which is still less than predicted 

If a company's forecasts were as consistently bad as the IPCC's, the directors would be jailed 

I'll take that as a yes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

So if it’s a pause or decline in temps, it’s one data point in a very very big sample , but if we are talking about a few warmer years , it’s a climate catastrophe??

sorry, you can’t have it both ways

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Tinman said:

So if it’s a pause or decline in temps, it’s one data point in a very very big sample , but if we are talking about a few warmer years , it’s a climate catastrophe??

Especially when that 'one data point' lasted several decades...

16 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I think you're cherry picking - this is the rest of the statement:

Many popular climate myths share the trait of vagueness. For example, consider the argument that climate has changed naturally in the past. Well of course it has, but what does that tell us? It's akin to telling a fire investigator that fires have always happened naturally in the past. That would doubtless earn you a puzzled look from the investigator. Is the implication that because they have occurred naturally in the past, humans can't cause fires or climate change?

The same problem applies to the 'pause' (or 'hiatus' or better yet, 'speed bump') assertion. It's true that the warming of average global surface temperatures has slowed over the past 15 years, but what does that mean? One key piece of information that's usually omitted when discussing this subject is that the overall warming of the entire climate system has continued rapidly over the past 15 years, even faster than the 15 years before that.

The speed bump only applies to surface temperatures, which only represent about 2 percent of the overall warming of the global climate. . As the IPCC figure indicates, over 90 percent of global warming goes into heating the oceans, and it continues at a rapid pace, equivalent to 4 Hiroshima atomic bomb detonations per second.

Not that I wanted to get in on an argument about climate change, but please provide the whole data (and a reference) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Tinman said:

is it a few warmer years ?

On 17/10/2019 at 6:06 PM, BarryBevan said:

is it a few warmer years ?

Farked if know

like everything else in life, depends on who you listen to 

I just know that regardless of what is happening, no way we can stop it. Far better to spend the cash adapting to it rather than throw away cash on something we can’t control 

Just now, Mr Tinman said:

no way we can stop it

A lot of people said that about the hole in the ozone layer.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A lot of people said that about the hole in the ozone layer.

And they were not far from being right.  It's basically only just reached a point of stabilisation in the last couple of years and will not get back to pre- 1980 levels for another 50+ years.  Nice analogy though, it was a "crisis" that was going to end life as we know it but as soon as we did something that allowed us to feel good about ourselves we forgot about the crisis even though the situation changed very little. (in fact kept getting worse.)  The difference is that the changes made only impacted a very small part of the worlds economy and there were readily available and not much more expensive alternatives already in place.

• Like 1

So, we made a change, it's making a difference.

Alan too has made a change, if the gossip columns are right. Moved a 22 year old "family friend" into the toaster. His long-serving butler has quit.

• Sad 1

I hope you both voted no in the same sex marriage vote, otherwise you’re both hypocrites 

Come on guys, you are both far better than that

Good on Alan, sticking up for the poor Racing industry.

Alan Jones has long been involved in the racing industry as an owner, and says the story is just another example of the ABC “trying to ruin the lives of others”. 

Bad ABC! Bad, bad ABC!! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Good on Alan, sticking up for the poor Racing industry.

Alan Jones has long been involved in the racing industry as an owner, and says the story is just another example of the ABC “trying to ruin the lives of others”. 

Bad ABC! Bad, bad ABC!! 

Well he is probably right... Look what they did with the greyhound industry, live cattle transport and climate change to name a few. One or two isolated cases and they portray the who industry is bad. This is always proven incorrect after the fact yet the damage has been done. 

The ABC has moved from quality journalism to sensationalist journalism. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

One or two isolated cases and they portray the who industry is bad. This is always proven incorrect after the fact...

Really? Can you show me where this was proven?

2 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Really? Can you show me where this was proven?

Well, with the horses..... they showed a few abbattoirs in Queensland and the arse's that treated the horses badly. They didn't show any horse stud's that treated the animals badly. They also neglected to report that this didn't happen in NSW and Victoria (proven). NSW and Victoria have laws established to prevent this type of behaviour and various progrmas that take care of race hourses that are no longer required for racing. Pretty much most owners are pretty good, but this report tainted every horse owner in the industry. Biased reporting.

I think horse racing should be banned, but what ABC report on is a stretch its not industry wide. 

Edited by IronmanFoz

You were saying

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

greyhound industry, live cattle transport and climate change to name a few

Not the horses - where / when was this all proven to be false after the fact?

11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Well, with the horses..... they showed a few abbattoirs in Queensland and the arse's that treated the horses badly. They didn't show any horse stud's that treated the animals badly. They also neglected to report that this didn't happen in NSW and Victoria (proven). NSW and Victoria have laws established to prevent this type of behaviour and various progrmas that take care of race hourses that are no longer required for racing. Pretty much most owners are pretty good, but this report tainted every horse owner in the industry. Biased reporting.

I think horse racing should be banned, but what ABC report on is a stretch its not industry wide. 

The point of the story was the treatment of horses after they finish racing. I dont think anyone thinks they're treated badly when they're making money for the owners. 

11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

It was certainly enough of a stretch for Bruce McAvaney’s emotional on-air plea over ‘horrifying’ horse slaughter scandal 

I must stop watching the ABC and listen to Peta, Andrew and Alan on Sky News where the real objective, intelligent and unbiased stories are told! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Well he is probably right... Look what they did with the greyhound industry, live cattle transport and climate change to name a few. One or two isolated cases and they portray the who industry is bad. This is always proven incorrect after the fact yet the damage has been done. 

The ABC has moved from quality journalism to sensationalist journalism. 

Here is more quality from The machine

https://www.mamamia.com.au/jacinda-ardern-alan-jones/

Edited by BarryBevan

10 hours ago, AA7 said:

The point of the story was the treatment of horses after they finish racing. I dont think anyone thinks they're treated badly when they're making money for the owners. 

The point of my comments was that the ABC story said it was widespread across the industry including racing etc. and made the assumption it was Australia wide. It wasn’t and therefore they are incorrect. They should be more specific about there claims rather than generalise and tarnish everyone.

Like I said.... they did the same with the greyhound industry.

You also said they did it with climate change too. Has that been "proven" incorrect, or should you be "more specific" and not "generalise".

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You also said they did it with climate change too. Has that been "proven" incorrect, or should you be "more specific" and not "generalise".

Well it hasn't been proven correct either... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Yep.... so which bit in there about his quotes that was incorrect?

The quotes are an accurate record of what he said.

You agree with what he said and support it?