Cranky

Broken bike ... How do I fix this?

New bike.

Or take it to a bike shop mechanic and ask them.

Quick fix, is loosen the clamp, spin it back to where it belongs, tighten clamp, make sure all works ok and ride away. 

If it was me, it woudl be: purchase new shifter, bar tap and cables. Strip whole bike down ad rebuild with new parts :lol: but that's just me. 

• Haha 1

Not buying a new bike. 

Dazz will want to have a go himself. Is it possible for a DIY job?

So I should've said "How does Dazz fix this"

Just now, roxii said:

Quick fix, is loosen the clamp, spin it back to where it belongs, tighten clamp, make sure all works ok and ride away. 

If it was me, it woudl be: purchase new shifter, bar tap and cables. Strip whole bike down ad rebuild with new parts :lol: but that's just me. 

Thanks!!! 👍

Agreed. It's a small Allen screw under the rubber boot that will loosen a clamp. You can rotate the shifter back into position and the tighten it back up. You'll spend longer looking for the right size Allen key than you will fixing it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Thanks!!! 👍

You can thank me by replacing that bar tape... its a disgrace!! :lol:   If you are going to let it get like that use black tape. 

White bar tape should be pristine white at all times, even if it means replacing weekly!!  :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

You can thank me by replacing that bar tape... its a disgrace!! :lol:   If you are going to let it get like that use black tape. White bar tape should be pristine white at all times, even if it means replacing weekly!!  :lol: 

And blue electrical tape to hold it down - has she no shame?!

2 minutes ago, trinube said:

And blue electrical tape to hold it down - has she no shame?!

Blue would only work if put on exceptionally neatly, and the bike was exactly the same colour blue.

Even then it's a stretch.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Blue would only work if put on exceptionally neatly, and the bike was exactly the same colour blue.

Even then it's a stretch.

...... or it was coordinated with team kit. 

One bolt cranky, remove bar tape completely, from both sides before starting any work, this is paramount to get it right :P 

Fold the brake hood back (the rubber part on the outside) from the rear of the bike pushing forwards... On the outside of the hard black plastic you see underneath the rubber there is a 5mm Allen head bolt. Losen a little, move the shifter and then tighten. Don't tighten too far because those bolts snap under tension mid-climb and you will crash again (yeah, I did this once... It's a long way up Audley after a crash and no hood to use)

Complete the job by giving yourself a quick upper cut to pay for your bar tape sins, then replace the bar tape with black. Use black electrical tape so it looks pretty. Always wear helmet and socks that match your bike.

Also google Suomy Helmets if you need a new brain bucket, they're going pretty cheap at the moment and are pretty nice helmets. 

Just now, willie said:

Also google Suomy Helmets if you need a new brain bucket, they're going pretty cheap at the moment and are pretty nice helmets. 

I'm pretty certain this is going to be the next question... 

Looks like it took a pretty decent hit (or wasn't done too tight in the first place). 

Would pay to check everything else in the front end for anything wiggle, stripped or cracked. 

Plus, the shifter might be a bit cactus. 

I had one end similar fashion (although not quite that bad) and it never shifted well again.  Ended up replacing it. Somewhere the ratchet mechanism had been stripped a bit, so was unreliable to shift. 

It got that way from blunt force trauma.

Return it to the original position by using blunt force trauma in the opposite direction.

They do it on the Tour all the time :)

• Haha 1

That shifter looks...welll. done for. You can move it back into position. Whether it will work again, that's a different story. 

Got a mate that has a Moots in that bare metal grey, with white bar tape and white saddle. Looks awesome, but he is diligent on ensuring the tape is changed regularly.

Thanks all! I just figure that the dodgier my bike looked the less they would expect from me! Dazz mentioned a new bike after the first couple of races but I said no. If I rock up to races with a sic bike they will expect me to be able to ride fast! I need to earn my new bike with speed on a old thing.

23 hours ago, willie said:

Will they protect my head just as good as my last helmet? If I dive head first into the bitumen at 43 km / h again I would like a similar result to this time.

23 hours ago, willie said:

Fold the brake hood back (the rubber part on the outside) from the rear of the bike pushing forwards... On the outside of the hard black plastic you see underneath the rubber there is a 5mm Allen head bolt.

I can't see it .... video below.  Am I looking in the right spot?

Cranky at the very start of the video between your thumb and the shimano sticker is where the bolt is. 

BUT... you need to get at it by putting the allen key in from the front of the hood casing, down the side of the hood inside the rubber cover. 

46 minutes ago, roxii said:

Cranky at the very start of the video between your thumb and the shimano sticker is where the bolt is. 

BUT... you need to get at it by putting the allen key in from the front of the hood casing, down the side of the hood inside the rubber cover. 

This one?

20190815_102929.jpg

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Thanks all! I just figure that the dodgier my bike looked the less they would expect from me! Dazz mentioned a new bike after the first couple of races but I said no. If I rock up to races with a sic bike they will expect me to be able to ride fast! I need to earn my new bike with speed on a old thing.

You seen some of the amazing bikes old, fat blokes ride? No one is thinking they ride fast because of their bike.

12 minutes ago, Cranky said:

This one?

20190815_102929.jpg

Does it even still work? 

13 minutes ago, Cranky said:

This one?

20190815_102929.jpg

Yeah thats the puppy! 

Just undo it a little bit at at time till you feel the lever loosen. Then move it to where you want it and re-tighten.  Take it slowly as it can be a pain if you undo it all the way and the bolt and clamp come apart. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Then I saw this on the other one... 🤦‍♀️

15658324797071338698343737864946.jpg

Is that little bits of cable coming through the sheath? If so, that won't be fun. Bike-shop time.

Is it 9 speed or 10? I might have something laying around unless I've already given it away.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Is that little bits of cable coming through the sheath? If so, that won't be fun. Bike-shop time.

Is it 9 speed or 10? I might have something laying around unless I've already given it away.

Yes it is. 

10 speed. 

Dazz is downstairs playing with it now. Looks like he's replacing the other cable too.

I'm staying away. 

You don't need to undo or loosen anything - just get a good grip with both hands and pull it back to where it should be - if it moved once it'll move again! Although I must advise against doing this while you are actually riding.... :)

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Although I must advise against doing this while you are actually riding

I did once. :(

I called myself all sorts of names as I was getting up off the road. At least I slowed down to do it.

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

You don't need to undo or loosen anything - just get a good grip with both hands and pull it back to where it should be - if it moved once it'll move again! Although I must advise against doing this while you are actually riding.... :)

We tried this. Wouldn't budge

8 minutes ago, trickle said:

@Cranky I'm off work for a couple weeks, happy to turn the tools on it if that helps.

A couple of weeks?! Training block? 😂

3 minutes ago, Cranky said:

A couple of weeks?! Training block? 😂

Hell no, I'm doing that chemotherapy cream on my face. Can't even go out in the sun!

1 hour ago, trickle said:

Hell no, I'm doing that chemotherapy cream on my face. Can't even go out in the sun!

Oh no!! Best of luck!

PM sent

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Oh no!! Best of luck!

PM sent

Dazz has been sacked?!?

Dazz has been hard at work. 

New cables. 

New bar tape. 

Currently indexing the gears.  Did I say that right? 🤷‍♀️

Resized_20190817_132034.jpeg

Resized_20190817_132029.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Still haven't cut that steerer tube though.

Oh yeah. Forgot to tell him. I'll just blame that on a head injury! Anything that I forget now I just blame on concussion.

Why do I need to cut it? Just so it looks better?

And how does one go about cutting that off? I don't think a steak knife will do it.

6 minutes ago, Cranky said:

And how does one go about cutting that off? I don't think a steak knife will do it.

Hacksaw with a fine blade... don't breathe the dust in though! I have a park tool guide that I put in a vice so it's perfect every time (well except once, I cut at the wrong mark and steerer was 4" too short :o oops) 

• Haha 1