Sign in to follow this  
more

Sunshine Coast 70.3 2019

20 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Yes there was quite a bit of people hanging out to the right and then folks ducking in and out. 

Triathlon does have have a lot of people whose bike riding experience is limited often a few years and not done with proper cyclists

Makes you wonder how much indoor training apps play a part too...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I have been doing Mooloolaba for 10 years and every year I have seen a nose to tail 'drafting' crash or someone be blown off the road into the armco (even on days with no wind..)

there are some spots where the road is tricky but most of it is bad riding in my view...

1 hour ago, BNothling said:

There didn't appear to be much of it going on yesterday. It makes you wonder if with the wind the way it was, people were so scared/unconfident/uncomfortable that they were just 100% focused on their own riding and weren't dedicating any energy to things like that?

The crosswind was definitely playing havoc in parts for some. I saw the rider lying face down near the guard rail about midway along the motorway with officials and later the ambulance. Only looked to me like one bike down, so not sure if it's was a solo wind thing or a collision. I also had a lady in front of me get a full lane wobble/swerve as I was coming up to overtake. I don't know how she saved it but I deadset thought she was going over and I got off the aerobars and got ready to hit the anchors. 

Apart from the crosswind on parts of the bike leg, I thought the overall race conditions were great. Unfortunately, my lack of training meant I didn't capitalize on that and managed a 30min PW (personal worst). The swim was my only respectable leg and then it was all downhill after the first lap of the bike.

I ride with a disc and a 808 on the front and had a few arse puckering moments but didn't think it was all that bad. Away from town was fine but in town there were a few spots where the roads created like tunnels of wind which could catch you off gaurd. 

Out on the highway I saw large packs riding 3 a breast and even had an Asian guy from Malsia pass me up the left (in the emergency lane..) and then sit about 5 cms from the guy in front. So with these types of things going on it's no wider there were some crashes. 

Swim was great and the run though a little warm was also awesome. Great day all in all. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, pieman said:

there are some spots where the road is tricky but most of it is bad riding in my view...

Agree. There is often a heap of bad riding in triathlon. Possibly may be due to the rise in windtrainer training. 

It's kinda funny considering how important the bike is to triathlon that more triathletes don't invest time in basic bike handling and maintenance skills. 

The amount of people I know who don't know how to change a tyre is a bit astounding!

I think there may be benefit for some athletes to try do a bit of offroad / single track or even crit racing. Just so they're a bit more agile on the bike and learn how to through it around / anticipate changes. 

24 minutes ago, more said:

I ride with a disc and a 808 on the front and had a few arse puckering moments but didn't think it was all that bad. Away from town was fine but in town there were a few spots where the roads created like tunnels of wind which could catch you off gaurd. 

Out on the highway I saw large packs riding 3 a breast and even had an Asian guy from Malsia pass me up the left (in the emergency lane..) and then sit about 5 cms from the guy in front. So with these types of things going on it's no wider there were some crashes. 

Swim was great and the run though a little warm was also awesome. Great day all in all. 

I agree about the crosswind in some of the spots in town. There were a few spots along Buderim Rd that copped some sudden side gusts, but the most 'exciting' one for me was coming down off Alex Headland heading north at speed. 

3 hours ago, BNothling said:

A lot I would think. I have been cycling at SOP (Sydney Olympic Park) for the last few years and have been riding with cyclists on roadies. Recently I've been changing it up and going to Centennial Park to get some consistent work going on my TT. I've been pretty surprised by the lack or courtesy and cop-on by all the peeps on TT bikes. They sit to the right of the  massive cycle lane forcing you to go into the car lane if you need to overtake, they ride 2 abreast with about 2m between each other and they don't check their shoulder before they pull out to overtake. 

Men
75-79 men: one spot. There was one starter so a spot was allocated but he didn’t finish so the spot went to the 45-49 year old men
70-74 men: one spot taken by winner
65-69 men: one spot taken by winner
60-64 men: two spots taken by winner and runner up
55-59 men: 3 spots. One went to roll down so fourth got a spot
50-54 men: 6 spots. Three roll downs then lotto. Ninth got a spot
45-49 men: 9 spots (including the one from the old geezers) Two roll downs so 11th got a spot
40-44 men: 9 spots. All taken on first draw
35-39 men: 10 spots. Went to lotto. 15th got a spot
30-34 men: 7 spots. Two roll downs so 9th got a spot
25-29 men: 5 spots. Three rolldowns. 8th got a spot
18-24 men: 3 spots. All taken on first draw

Women
65-69 had a spot allocated for the one finisher who didn’t take it so it went to 25-29women.
60-64: one general and one wft. One roll down. Third got a spot.
55-59: one general and one wft. Went to winner and runner up
50-54: two general and two wft. Fourth got a spot
45-45: four general and four wft. Five roll downs. 13th got a spot
40-44: four general and four wft. 11th got a spot
35-39: five general and four wft. 12th got a spot
30-34: three general and three wft. 9th got a spot
25-29: four general and four wft. All taken on first draw.
18-24: one general and one wft. Went to winner and runner up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bRace said:

...but the most 'exciting' one for me was coming down off Alex Headland heading north at speed. 

That was my biggest moment too. Came over the top, tucked in and down behind the aerobars and crouched low. Caught a crosswind and had a bit of a wobble. Grabbed the top tube with my knees, kept weight back and caught it. Wasn't a huge moment but enough to make pay a lot more attention.

• Like 1

i had a slow day, 20 min slower than i’d thought i’d do... i really struggled with pain in my right foot on the run - will have to get that looked at... was determined to slog it out to the finish though.

in the years off i’d forgotten that  musculoskeletal endurance limits me much more than cardiovascular fitness.

despite the wind sapping my energy, and the foot pain, i had a great time and I’m already plotting my return with the aim to go faster.

• Like 1

I had a great race, PB'd the bike, run and overall time. After 6 HIMs over 5 years I finally did sub 7! I agree with the comments re the bike leg-people pulling out without looking, blocking, drafting, etc. Was quite scary at times. My friend even got sworn at when a faster athlete overtook her going up a hill (despite her being on the left and leaving room for overtaking). Other than the wind on the bike it was a gorgeous day!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was a good race, wind dried you out, best swim in triathlon. Drafting is an issue, there are people who either don't care or don't understand the rules. It is risky and also unfair, but figure you can choose not to to it.

Run was a heap of fun, that last bit was a little heart breaking as I think I was down about 300 calories as that pure electrolyte is rubbish and I thought endura was bad