Sign in to follow this  
more

Sunshine Coast 70.3 2019

O.K so its less than a month away-who's in?

I'm heading up hoping to escape the cold weather-any advice for a Mexican attending his first race north of the border?

I'm in. 

Have managed to keep something resembling fitness together after the twins arrived so I'll be going up there to have a bit of fun without any pressure. Race strategy at this point is to get out of the water and then adjust bike/run pacing depending on feel. Aiming for an easy 220-230W and then 6:00/km and a nice comfortable day out.

Last year the race fell on a day of miserable weather, with postcard weather either side. It was raining, windy and the surf was pretty decent. The 28 day forecast suggests that there could be morning rain this year but it's way too far out to tell. 

The bike course is fast, with a few rolling climbs before you get to the highway which is pan flat, with the exception of a few canal/river crossing bridges which are 1-2% at most. After you get back to town you climb a decent little hill from both sides but it's a quick course. I rode a 2:37 with no big ring at an average of 2.3W/kg. 

The run course uses the same decent hill which can hurt you later if you charge up it out of T2. The rest of the course is a flat with some twists and turns and a mix of road and footpath. There was decent debate last year about the course being short. Personally, I recorded 20.4km but after the day that I had (forgot nutrition on the bike, no big ring) I was happy for it to be done. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'm in. 

Have managed to keep something resembling fitness together after the twins arrived so I'll be going up there to have a bit of fun without any pressure. Race strategy at this point is to get out of the water and then adjust bike/run pacing depending on feel. Aiming for an easy 220-230W and then 6:00/km and a nice comfortable day out.

Last year the race fell on a day of miserable weather, with postcard weather either side. It was raining, windy and the surf was pretty decent. The 28 day forecast suggests that there could be morning rain this year but it's way too far out to tell. 

The bike course is fast, with a few rolling climbs before you get to the highway which is pan flat, with the exception of a few canal/river crossing bridges which are 1-2% at most. After you get back to town you climb a decent little hill from both sides but it's a quick course. I rode a 2:37 with no big ring at an average of 2.3W/kg. 

The run course uses the same decent hill which can hurt you later if you charge up it out of T2. The rest of the course is a flat with some twists and turns and a mix of road and footpath. There was decent debate last year about the course being short. Personally, I recorded 20.4km but after the day that I had (forgot nutrition on the bike, no big ring) I was happy for it to be done. 

No big ring?

14 minutes ago, pieman said:

No big ring?

I had an interesting "debate" with the guy next to me in transition on the morning of the race about which side of his bike he wanted to stack his picnic and costume changes. He fired up so I let it go. Jumped on the bike out of T1 and my di2 to the front derailleur was dead. I still had a rear so I figured that it was something to do with the weather and the rain and pressed on. It wasn't until I picked the bike up after the race that I saw my di2 wiring had been disconnected. Not saying it was him that did it because I can't prove it, but di2 wiring doesn't just fall out on the morning of a race after you did a perfect test ride and it hasn't happened in nearly 2 years of owning the bike.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BNothling said:

I had an interesting "debate" with the guy next to me in transition on the morning of the race about which side of his bike he wanted to stack his picnic and costume changes. He fired up so I let it go. Jumped on the bike out of T1 and my di2 to the front derailleur was dead. I still had a rear so I figured that it was something to do with the weather and the rain and pressed on. It wasn't until I picked the bike up after the race that I saw my di2 wiring had been disconnected. Not saying it was him that did it because I can't prove it, but di2 wiring doesn't just fall out on the morning of a race after you did a perfect test ride and it hasn't happened in nearly 2 years of owning the bike.

I remember you now.. and as I said at the time, you always put your gear on the driveside... 

• Haha 3

If you are near him again this year, I suggest moving one of his runners about 6 bikes away when you come in from the swim to bike

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pieman said:

I remember you now.. and as I said at the time, you always put your gear on the driveside... 

There is no rule stating what side to put your gear on.

You suggestion might work for right handed people but us left handers prefer the other side of the bike.

Just now, Peter said:

You suggestion might work for right handed people but us left handers prefer the other side of the bike.

I was joking..

1 minute ago, pieman said:

I was joking..

So was I. Now where is my left handed screw driver.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

So was I. Now where is my left handed screw driver.

Right next to my electric hammer. 

Bloody hell!! There are some wankers out there huh...

Why did you have it on the small ring anyway?

1 minute ago, more said:

Bloody hell!! There are some wankers out there huh...

Why did you have it on the small ring anyway?

There is a little ramp out of transition that leads into the hill, so I had it in the little ring so that I could get moving and be in the right gear for the climb. I also wanted to avoid wheel spin from being in too big of a gear on the soaked road.

I've moved on and I still enjoyed the race, just walked away wondering what could have been. If it helped him sleep better at night, I'm happy that it made him feel better :)

46 minutes ago, Peter said:

I'm a right hander, prefer to put my stuff on the left. 

It doesn't matter now. I'm just looking forward to a good weekend away and having some fun on race day. Yell out and say hi if you see me!

29 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I'm a right hander, prefer to put my stuff on the left. 

Bloody Chicks.  Always being difficult. ;) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BNothling said:

I'm in. 

Good summary, this is my first Sunny Coast, and second 70.3 for that matter. I've got a suspected stress injury in my left femur and as a result haven't run for 8 weeks. After an MRI this week I hope to get cleared to race by my physio...hopefully it's on for me, but it will be an interesting day. 

1 minute ago, Fresh said:

Good summary, this is my first Sunny Coast, and second 70.3 for that matter. I've got a suspected stress injury in my left femur and as a result haven't run for 8 weeks. After an MRI this week I hope to get cleared to race by my physio...hopefully it's on for me, but it will be an interesting day. 

All the best for your MRI. Hopefully you get the all clear and can take part in a great day!

• Like 1

I'm in. 3rd Sunny Coast and 6th HIM. Hoping to go sub 7hrs for the first time (yeah I know, not fast for most people but it's my goal!)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

I'm in. 3rd Sunny Coast and 6th HIM. Hoping to go sub 7hrs for the first time (yeah I know, not fast for most people but it's my goal!)

Just getting your money's worth! Hopefully the race goes to plan and you pull it off mate!

MRI is clear, no stress fracture. I'm back running as of tomorrow and on for the race. 😀

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Fresh said:

MRI is clear, no stress fracture. I'm back running as of tomorrow and on for the race. 😀

Yeeew!

On 14/08/2019 at 9:11 PM, BNothling said:

Athlete list appears to have been added yesterday. Looks healthy to me!

https://www.ironman.com/~/media/bec032d63f564db9b86431855eedd2de/19im703sc indvathletelist 13aug19.pdf

#701 reporting for duty!

Fair feild, gee not many lone wolf's like myself-a lot seem to be in a triclub or coached.. 

Edited by more

1 Alexander Craig AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

2 Currie Braden NZL (NEW ZEALAND) MALE

3 Van Berkel Tim AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

4 Bowstead Mark NZL (NEW ZEALAND) MALE

5 Jacobs Pete AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

6 Betten Sam AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

7 Fettell Clayton AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

8 Maxwell Levi AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

9 Anderson-Voigt Leigh AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

10 Coleman Travis AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

11 Foot Alister AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

12 Ghosh Justin AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

14 Hearn Simon AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

15 Johnson Brett AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

16 Lawry Lindsey AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

17 Lewis Matt AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

18 Mckay Connor AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

19 Mckenna Steven AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

20 Salazar Ezquerra Jose Pablo CHL (CHILE) MALE

21 Shaw Olly NZL (NEW ZEALAND) MALE

22 Slee Matt AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

23 Stein Daniel AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

Crowie at number 1

I'm in. I have a bad history with this race with a coupe of DNS's.

I had hoped to do have a good race but for a variety of reason's I haven't put the training in.

So my plan is to get to the start line then just get through each leg best I can, so probably around 7 hours for me. 

A start will be a good result, a finish will be a bonus!

• Like 3

I’m in, will be my first proper tri after a 7 year break. Was training for IM but got an overuse injury and lost interest, got fat ...

signed up a while back to “encourage” me to do some training.

ive lost 12 kg, but still 7 over “race weight” ... 

feel heaps better regardless and hoping for under 6:30 (pb was 5:45 so I was never fast!)

• Like 4

TO in transition has told me that tomorrow is "disc optional" and that a ruling will be made later. He suggested prepping a spoked rear wheel just in case. 

2 minutes ago, BNothling said:

TO in transition has told me that tomorrow is "disc optional" and that a ruling will be made later. He suggested prepping a spoked rear wheel just in case. 

WTF ?

30 minutes ago, BNothling said:

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

WTF ?

Winds expected up to 40km/h, and gusts up to 50% higher.

I'd ride one, but there are a lot of people that may have trouble. Deep dish front would be much worse though.

25 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Probably get to use them if that's the case. This morning they were saying 30-40km/h. Still very gusty here NW of Brisbane, but at least the dust haze is disappearing. That probably means it's getting lighter.

To be honest, I've seen that many different forecasts that I've stopped looking. Some say it'll be blowing from dawn, others say that it won't be too bad until around 10 or 11. Nothing that I can do about it. I've got my other wheel sorted in the case that they do pull the plug, but I feel that it's too late now to do anything about it from the RD's perspective.

All I brought with me was a disc, so I was stuffed if this rumoured ‘disc ban’ came about (along with a shit load of others). The wind was pretty strong North of the Maroochydore river, SW gusts of around 25km/h apparently. Had a few wobbles, but nothing too concerning. Saw a few ambulances on the motorway, so some folks went down.

Epic day, beautiful weather bar the wind. Body held up well. 

1 hour ago, Fresh said:

All I brought with me was a disc, so I was stuffed if this rumoured ‘disc ban’ came about (along with a shit load of others). The wind was pretty strong North of the Maroochydore river, SW gusts of around 25km/h apparently. Had a few wobbles, but nothing too concerning. Saw a few ambulances on the motorway, so some folks went down.

Epic day, beautiful weather bar the wind. Body held up well. 

gusty out there, few big packs out there, wind people go down.

On 07/09/2019 at 5:36 PM, BNothling said:

To be honest, I've seen that many different forecasts that I've stopped looking. Some say it'll be blowing from dawn, others say that it won't be too bad until around 10 or 11. Nothing that I can do about it. I've got my other wheel sorted in the case that they do pull the plug, but I feel that it's too late now to do anything about it from the RD's perspective.

it sucked with the rain last time. I just don't enjoy those conditions 😕

Solid day out for me. Since the twins were born, I haven't trained for more than an hour other than my nutrition sim last weekend. I knew that I would blow up at some point, so yesterday was all about trying to delay the inevitable. Cruised the swim, rode the first lap of the bike well and then shut it down just past the Maroochy River bridge on lap 2. The wind was pretty bad, but wasn't completely unmanageable. It was more the mental aspect of pushing 150W and doing 45kmh in one direction, and then 250W and 27kmh a few minutes later as the road swung around. Did also see a rider face down on the road in a guard rail being tended to by a medic which turned into an ambulance on my way back which shook me a little bit. We pretty much all do this for fun, and it's not really worth not going home safely. Rolled my way back in and did surprisingly well on the run. Was sitting around 5:45-5:50/km until about the 16.5km mark when the legs eventually went. Bit of aid station walking and I ended up PB-ing my 70.3 run leg by a decent amount. Crossed the line in 5:29:38 so fairly happy with that all things considered.

Drafting on the highway was bad, but not as bad as blocking. People seemed to be very nervous in the gusts and were giving each other way too much room and blocking the lane. Lots of people having to back out of it and wait which caused a few groups. For the most part though, it seemed like most MOPers were trying to do the right thing, but I do get the feeling that the course is too crowded now. I happened to be following a guy into one of those little groups and we copped it for drafting, but myself and then another chick who pulled out behind me to go around a few others all commented that there was little to be done when the lane is blocked. 

Does anyone have any news on the rider that I mentioned on the highway? It wasn't great to see him lying face down against the guard rail and not moving.

• Like 1

I know of two people who came off and both have broken collar bones.  Both came off due to slower riders pulling out in front of them apparently.  Might be one of those that you saw.

18 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I know of two people who came off and both have broken collar bones.  Both came off due to slower riders pulling out in front of them apparently.  Might be one of those that you saw.

You do need to look after the front wheel of own bike and a little head check goes a long way.

19 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I hope that was all. I glanced over quite late as I was passing someone but it didn't look great. He had a moto with him though and by the time that I looped back there was an ambulance parked in the centre of the road and he had been loaded into the back.

6 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

You do need to look after the front wheel of own bike and a little head check goes a long way.

There didn't appear to be much of it going on yesterday. It makes you wonder if with the wind the way it was, people were so scared/unconfident/uncomfortable that they were just 100% focused on their own riding and weren't dedicating any energy to things like that?

There didn't appear to be much of it going on yesterday. It makes you wonder if with the wind the way it was, people were so scared/unconfident/uncomfortable that they were just 100% focused on their own riding and weren't dedicating any energy to things like that?

Yes there was quite a bit of people hanging out to the right and then folks ducking in and out. 

Triathlon does have have a lot of people whose bike riding experience is limited often a few years and not done with proper cyclists