Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
more

Sunshine Coast 70.3 2019

Recommended Posts

O.K so its less than a month away-who's in?

I'm heading up hoping to escape the cold weather-any advice for a Mexican attending his first race north of the border?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in. 

Have managed to keep something resembling fitness together after the twins arrived so I'll be going up there to have a bit of fun without any pressure. Race strategy at this point is to get out of the water and then adjust bike/run pacing depending on feel. Aiming for an easy 220-230W and then 6:00/km and a nice comfortable day out.

Last year the race fell on a day of miserable weather, with postcard weather either side. It was raining, windy and the surf was pretty decent. The 28 day forecast suggests that there could be morning rain this year but it's way too far out to tell. 

The bike course is fast, with a few rolling climbs before you get to the highway which is pan flat, with the exception of a few canal/river crossing bridges which are 1-2% at most. After you get back to town you climb a decent little hill from both sides but it's a quick course. I rode a 2:37 with no big ring at an average of 2.3W/kg. 

The run course uses the same decent hill which can hurt you later if you charge up it out of T2. The rest of the course is a flat with some twists and turns and a mix of road and footpath. There was decent debate last year about the course being short. Personally, I recorded 20.4km but after the day that I had (forgot nutrition on the bike, no big ring) I was happy for it to be done. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'm in. 

Have managed to keep something resembling fitness together after the twins arrived so I'll be going up there to have a bit of fun without any pressure. Race strategy at this point is to get out of the water and then adjust bike/run pacing depending on feel. Aiming for an easy 220-230W and then 6:00/km and a nice comfortable day out.

Last year the race fell on a day of miserable weather, with postcard weather either side. It was raining, windy and the surf was pretty decent. The 28 day forecast suggests that there could be morning rain this year but it's way too far out to tell. 

The bike course is fast, with a few rolling climbs before you get to the highway which is pan flat, with the exception of a few canal/river crossing bridges which are 1-2% at most. After you get back to town you climb a decent little hill from both sides but it's a quick course. I rode a 2:37 with no big ring at an average of 2.3W/kg. 

The run course uses the same decent hill which can hurt you later if you charge up it out of T2. The rest of the course is a flat with some twists and turns and a mix of road and footpath. There was decent debate last year about the course being short. Personally, I recorded 20.4km but after the day that I had (forgot nutrition on the bike, no big ring) I was happy for it to be done. 

No big ring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, pieman said:

No big ring?

I had an interesting "debate" with the guy next to me in transition on the morning of the race about which side of his bike he wanted to stack his picnic and costume changes. He fired up so I let it go. Jumped on the bike out of T1 and my di2 to the front derailleur was dead. I still had a rear so I figured that it was something to do with the weather and the rain and pressed on. It wasn't until I picked the bike up after the race that I saw my di2 wiring had been disconnected. Not saying it was him that did it because I can't prove it, but di2 wiring doesn't just fall out on the morning of a race after you did a perfect test ride and it hasn't happened in nearly 2 years of owning the bike.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BNothling said:

I had an interesting "debate" with the guy next to me in transition on the morning of the race about which side of his bike he wanted to stack his picnic and costume changes. He fired up so I let it go. Jumped on the bike out of T1 and my di2 to the front derailleur was dead. I still had a rear so I figured that it was something to do with the weather and the rain and pressed on. It wasn't until I picked the bike up after the race that I saw my di2 wiring had been disconnected. Not saying it was him that did it because I can't prove it, but di2 wiring doesn't just fall out on the morning of a race after you did a perfect test ride and it hasn't happened in nearly 2 years of owning the bike.

I remember you now.. and as I said at the time, you always put your gear on the driveside... 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are near him again this year, I suggest moving one of his runners about 6 bikes away when you come in from the swim to bike

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pieman said:

I remember you now.. and as I said at the time, you always put your gear on the driveside... 

There is no rule stating what side to put your gear on.

You suggestion might work for right handed people but us left handers prefer the other side of the bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Peter said:

There is no rule stating what side to put your gear on.

You suggestion might work for right handed people but us left handers prefer the other side of the bike.

I was joking..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pieman said:

I was joking..

So was I. Now where is my left handed screw driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peter said:

So was I. Now where is my left handed screw driver.

Right next to my electric hammer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BNothling said:

I had an interesting "debate" with the guy next to me in transition on the morning of the race about which side of his bike he wanted to stack his picnic and costume changes. He fired up so I let it go. Jumped on the bike out of T1 and my di2 to the front derailleur was dead. I still had a rear so I figured that it was something to do with the weather and the rain and pressed on. It wasn't until I picked the bike up after the race that I saw my di2 wiring had been disconnected. Not saying it was him that did it because I can't prove it, but di2 wiring doesn't just fall out on the morning of a race after you did a perfect test ride and it hasn't happened in nearly 2 years of owning the bike.

Bloody hell!! There are some wankers out there huh...

Why did you have it on the small ring anyway?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, more said:

Bloody hell!! There are some wankers out there huh...

Why did you have it on the small ring anyway?

 

There is a little ramp out of transition that leads into the hill, so I had it in the little ring so that I could get moving and be in the right gear for the climb. I also wanted to avoid wheel spin from being in too big of a gear on the soaked road.

I've moved on and I still enjoyed the race, just walked away wondering what could have been. If it helped him sleep better at night, I'm happy that it made him feel better :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Peter said:

There is no rule stating what side to put your gear on.

You suggestion might work for right handed people but us left handers prefer the other side of the bike.

I'm a right hander, prefer to put my stuff on the left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter now. I'm just looking forward to a good weekend away and having some fun on race day. Yell out and say hi if you see me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I'm a right hander, prefer to put my stuff on the left. 

Bloody Chicks.  Always being difficult. ;) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BNothling said:

I'm in. 

Good summary, this is my first Sunny Coast, and second 70.3 for that matter. I've got a suspected stress injury in my left femur and as a result haven't run for 8 weeks. After an MRI this week I hope to get cleared to race by my physio...hopefully it's on for me, but it will be an interesting day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fresh said:

Good summary, this is my first Sunny Coast, and second 70.3 for that matter. I've got a suspected stress injury in my left femur and as a result haven't run for 8 weeks. After an MRI this week I hope to get cleared to race by my physio...hopefully it's on for me, but it will be an interesting day. 

All the best for your MRI. Hopefully you get the all clear and can take part in a great day!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in. 3rd Sunny Coast and 6th HIM. Hoping to go sub 7hrs for the first time (yeah I know, not fast for most people but it's my goal!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

I'm in. 3rd Sunny Coast and 6th HIM. Hoping to go sub 7hrs for the first time (yeah I know, not fast for most people but it's my goal!)

Just getting your money's worth! Hopefully the race goes to plan and you pull it off mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fresh said:

MRI is clear, no stress fracture. I'm back running as of tomorrow and on for the race. 😀

Yeeew!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2019 at 9:11 PM, BNothling said:

Athlete list appears to have been added yesterday. Looks healthy to me!

https://www.ironman.com/~/media/bec032d63f564db9b86431855eedd2de/19im703sc indvathletelist 13aug19.pdf

#701 reporting for duty!

Fair feild, gee not many lone wolf's like myself-a lot seem to be in a triclub or coached.. 

Edited by more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

1 Alexander Craig AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

2 Currie Braden NZL (NEW ZEALAND) MALE

3 Van Berkel Tim AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

4 Bowstead Mark NZL (NEW ZEALAND) MALE

5 Jacobs Pete AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

6 Betten Sam AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

7 Fettell Clayton AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

8 Maxwell Levi AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

9 Anderson-Voigt Leigh AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

10 Coleman Travis AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

11 Foot Alister AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

12 Ghosh Justin AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

14 Hearn Simon AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

15 Johnson Brett AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

16 Lawry Lindsey AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

17 Lewis Matt AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

18 Mckay Connor AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

19 Mckenna Steven AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

20 Salazar Ezquerra Jose Pablo CHL (CHILE) MALE

21 Shaw Olly NZL (NEW ZEALAND) MALE

22 Slee Matt AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

23 Stein Daniel AUS (AUSTRALIA) MALE

Crowie at number 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in. I have a bad history with this race with a coupe of DNS's.

I had hoped to do have a good race but for a variety of reason's I haven't put the training in.

So my plan is to get to the start line then just get through each leg best I can, so probably around 7 hours for me. 

A start will be a good result, a finish will be a bonus!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...