Coach@triathlon

Triathlon coaching fees - what do/would you pay?

Interested in what people pay and what service is provided for Triathlon coaching and programming. As a swim coach with a tender contract with a Council -  fees are split. People pay at the desk for a session with me in the pool and the Council sends a cheque monthly. 

I could earn 10 bucks or 80 for one session, depending on how many turn up. Winter is slow but I enjoy it. I watch Personal Trainer mates earn 1000s per week for throwing a few buzz words at clients and making them do a few burpees in the comfort of an air conditioned gym. 

Seems there are so many different modes of triathlon coaching. Some seem to make good money and retain athletes while others don’t. Some offer ten different payment options and cookie cutter style-programs - while others are present for sessions. Some use online platforms for feedback, others don’t and go by the art of coaching and coaxing improvement. 

Must be hard for beginners to get a sense of the market and who is the best fit for them.

Edited by Coach@triathlon
  • Like 1

When I first started triathlon (25 years ago) I looked at what people were paying for coaching and I decided that I'd much rather give that money to charity and just train myself...  I still feel the same way.

• Like 3

50 a week. Anymore and I’d be looking at what I’m achieving for the premium.

50 is on par with gyms and less than golf and masters sports.

still test the value with performance. This year I did 216 OD after years of 22x. That’s okay for me.

some old bloke smashed me at the Nowra sprint though.

50 is on par with gyms!  Bloody hell!  Glad I live in Hicksville!  I pay 26 and that includes a 7 premium for the yoga membership.  And golf used to work out to 30 a week, but that's only one comp game but unlimited practice.  I really wanted to start playing golf again but when I think of that 30 to 50 a week, the right arse in me (and my wife's voice in my ear) says no, no, no.  

Just a few thoughts on the whole fitness thing. Will declare I'm a tight-arse by nature :)

First, unless you're really looking for real results (KQ) rather than just fun I don't know why you'd bother with a triathlon coach. 10 years ago when I was training for IM I had a coach ($120/month) but frankly wasn't getting anything I couldn't get online. I had no aspirations for anything other than finishing so it was a waste of money. In 9 months probably actually spoke to him 5 or 6 times.

For comparison's sake, here's a few other things:

Personal trainers will commonly ask for >$50 a session which could be as short as 30 minutes. Get on it coach@, I reckon you'd kill it if you could get past the narcissism of the clients :).  However just like triathlon coaching, pretty much anything you desire from a PT point of view can be found online. How to do weights, stretches, yoga, core etc. I use the machines at the local park and they're fine. You can join a gym for about $50 a month but it seems most people who buy gym memberships don't actually use them and you're not getting any coaching.

I currently pay @ $1,000 a year to be a member of my local climbing gym. I can climb as much as I want for as long as I want. I can get free advice from staff or pay $100 for 4 weeks of formal tuition (2 hours per session) in a class of about 8. The membership includes free yoga classes as well. You can pause memberships if you're away or get injured. It's a dead-set bargain (coach@, Lindy goes there a bit too ). I typically go 4 or 5 times a week.

My judo club charges $50 a month for two, two hour sessions a week.

The pool is $5 a swim.

I walk every day for free.

I reckon most people who are paying $50 a week for triathlon coaching are wasting their money, especially if it's not face to face.  Just getting a 'plan' emailed every week isn't value for money. BUT, I'm not 'most people and it's entirely up to them how they spend their hard earned. I don't think people should put money into poker machines either but whatever floats your boat.

This turned out longer than intended, my short answer is $0 :lol:

Edited by trinube
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, goughy said:

the right arse in me (and my wife's voice in my ear) says no, no, no.  

Go with your left arse then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just going back over my figures, based on $50 a week I could do two judo sessions, as much climbing as I want, a yoga session, 2 swims, walk every day and still have $8 left over for chocolate!

• Like 1

I dunno what I think is fair these days but I think $50 a week is pretty cheap depending on the amount of time you expect them to spend on you. 

Hell try to get a tradfie to do anything these days for under $100 an hour, a ten minute haircut costs $30, christ even a shit feed at maccas is basically $10..

• Like 2

As long as I am performing better than I can on my own. Right now I am, but value is different for everyone

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, trinube said:

Go with your left arse then...

F'n autocorrect!

24 minutes ago, more said:

I dunno what I think is fair these days but I think $50 a week is pretty cheap depending on the amount of time you expect them to spend on you. 

$50 for an email with a canned plan is expensive. I'm pretty comfortable financially but I got there by being smart with money and that doesn't seem good value. The other things I do with my $50 are IMHO :)

12 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

As long as I am performing better than I can on my own. Right now I am, but value is different for everyone

Exactly. If you're happy with the results then the price is immaterial. I'm a huge fan of spending as much as you like on your hobby if that's what you enjoy - I just don't get spending money on something you can get for free online.

1 minute ago, trinube said:

Exactly. If you're happy with the results then the price is immaterial. I'm a huge fan of spending as much as you like on your hobby if that's what you enjoy - I just don't get spending money on something you can get for free online.

I have never had a coach and have been using the TR programs which seem quiet good.

I guess for me it would be good for a coach to gauge if I'm over training/not going hard enough but I guess after spending a bit of time on TP you could work this out yourself? 

Training for my first full next year and have been toying with the idea of getting a coach. 

3 minutes ago, trinube said:

Think that is important, if it is just a canned plan you can get online, if its something else

18 hours ago, trinube said:

$50 for an email with a canned plan is expensive. I'm pretty comfortable financially but I got there by being smart with money and that doesn't seem good value. The other things I do with my $50 are IMHO :)

Its all TrainingPeaks or todays plan now. 

And coached can see what youve done and dont do  

But as ive always said if you don’t see your coach for one or two sessions a week, get a new coach thats local  

Online only is dumb. They cant motivate you or correct bad form via online. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have tried the self coaching thing & it didn't work. I like having a person who I'm accountable to. My coach works in my sessions around family events, work, travel etc. It takes the guess work out of it. I get to Sunday night look at my training peaks data knowing I have ticked off the sessions & can see the metrics improving.  I don't worry have I done enough / have I done too much etc.

$50 a week over a 12 week program isn't that much cash.  I would spend more on lunches per week. 

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

I like having a person who I'm accountable to.

My wife fills that role for me :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/08/2019 at 3:51 PM, BarryBevan said:

50 is on par with gyms and less than golf and masters sports.

Bloody hell, I pay $18 per week for my gym membership which includes swimming (indoor 50/25m pool), unlimited classes including spin classes, pilates etc, and the actual gym plus extras like spa, sauna, hydrotherapy pool etc

I could do all my training there if I wanted to, between swim, ride, run, rehab, strength work and recovery - but I like training outdoors too much

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I have tried the self coaching thing & it didn't work. I like having a person who I'm accountable to. My coach works in my sessions around family events, work, travel etc. It takes the guess work out of it. I get to Sunday night look at my training peaks data knowing I have ticked off the sessions & can see the metrics improving.  I don't worry have I done enough / have I done too much etc.

$50 a week over a 12 week program isn't that much cash.  I would spend more on lunches per week. 

For someone who is retired from triathlon you are spending a lot of money on a coach 😂😂😂

or are they a cycling coach

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My most recent online coaching was $120/month.

I could go $140/month for as many coached sessions as I could attend with one of my old clubs.

It would likely work out at $70 a session :)

I recently started and ended a PT thing at the gym - that was $55/week for a 30 min session once a week.

Gym fees are costing $35/fortnight, they'll probably go next.

23 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I could go $140/month for as many coached sessions as I could attend with one of my old clubs.

I recently started and ended a PT thing at the gym - that was $55/week for a 30 min session once a week.

Netflix is only $14 a week. Much better value.

Ummmm....  you must have the xxx Netflix subscription...

4 hours ago, KieranR said:

For someone who is retired from triathlon you are spending a lot of money on a coach 😂😂😂

or are they a cycling coach

Sorry. When I was doing Ironman training I would pay $50.

strava, Zwift programs, Zwift races & coping shit from my mates is all the coaching I need for cycling. 

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Ummmm....  you must have the xxx Netflix subscription...

Oops. Per month.

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Netflix is only $14 a week. Much better value.

$14 a month Ex :)

For comparison, fly-fishing coaching/guiding works out at around $60-70/hr (in Aus) to 100+/hr (in NZ) 😉.

Can't do it online though & pretty much one on one attention for 8-10hrs straight.

No guarantee of a fish, though, I'd say over 27yrs my clients success rate is around 90%.

Other then Training Peaks and my local pool (which is a friggen rip) - nothing. Ive had programs before, ive learnt something from them all, which has been great, but after 2 years I soon worked out that people make trainng way too complicated. 1 fast, 1 tempo and 1 endurance session, each sport, each week. 

$45 Gym (includes pool)  a week

$22 Zwift a month

$140 trainingpeaks a year

Coach who I will start back with for Geelong 70.3 in a few months. $140 a month (I think)

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Coach who I will start back with for Geelong 70.3 in a few months. $140 a month (I think)

AP is charging $140 a month now?

33 minutes ago, willie said:

AP is charging $140 a month now?

Worst joke ever.  And besides I'm not old enough to join dad's army.

17 hours ago, Tyno said:

In regards to the PT thing.   $55/30mins is probably because they are paying rent to the gym (somewhere from $200 up to $400 per week rent). Especially the case in commercial setting.  Have to be member so paying big time to do PT

This is where you find trainers over charging for their skill and knowledge set.   

14 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

In regards to the PT thing.   $55/30mins is probably because they are paying rent to the gym (somewhere from $200 up to $400 per week rent). Especially the case in commercial setting.  Have to be member so paying big time to do PT

This is where you find trainers over charging for their skill and knowledge set.   

As a former PT in one of those renting situations, I actually undercharged because I wanted to help people. I was paying $250/week for the privilege to work there, and I was charging $40 for a 30 minute session or $60 for a 60 minute session. Slight humble brag coming, but as someone with degrees in human movement and exercise physiology and a masters degree in sports coaching, I wanted to help people as much as I could to help fix the injury epidemic and poor technique pandemic that spread through that particular gym. The ratio of clients that I had that just wanted to sweat and burn calories to clients who needed injury prevention work/technique coaching/injury rehab was quite low. I knew that I was undercharging, but it worked for me. I'd like to think that when I left there, I had made a difference to the place.

• Like 4

Only paying for zwift at the moment with a little one and another on the way (if I get one session of s/b/r each week I'm stoked!😁). I used to pay about 140-150 a month for a local coach a few years ago when racing 70.3's and my 1 ironman, probably wouldn't pay for a coach again unless I was trying for world champs after kids are bigger.. learnt a bit from my coach and have been around sport all my life so would be able to get by if just going around for fun.. Also not much on offer in Darwin, so while local would be best, it would likely need to be online! 

ETA:  Would probably be happy to pay something similar if I was to get a coach again and try get a bit more serious and try get pointy end of AG. 

Edited by emski

Starts a thread on what would you pay for coaching service.

Nek-minute Coach@triathlon dot com :lol:

31 minutes ago, nealo said:

Starts a thread on what would you pay for coaching service.

Nek-minute Coach@triathlon dot com :lol:

He should - I reckon he'd be one of the few that might be worth paying for (for those keen to be pointy end).

6 minutes ago, trinube said:

He should - I reckon he'd be one of the few that might be worth paying for (for those keen to be pointy end).

So who is worth paying for. Easier than listing those who are not.

39 minutes ago, trinube said:

Thanks trinube - now we have the pool contract for 2 more years and expanding into learn to swim starting term 4 we have been mulling over going into Triathlon and multisports coaching again. I coached in the HP system previously but been observing the trends in triathlon coaching over the years. Amazed at how many coach fee paying triathletes, who swim in my squad (so the online coach only really coaches two sports if I do the swimming bit!) ask for advice about their biking and running. Some of the programs they have been prescribed are that complex, detached from the realities of human and family  living - and overly analytical, that it's a wonder people can even get through one week. Maybe a back to the future model has a place. 

58 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

So who is worth paying for. Easier than listing those who are not.

I can't say as I haven't been active in the sport for over 10 years but I've had many people tell me how disappointed they've been with their coaching experience (as was I) and seen plenty of people pissing their money up a wall for an emailed 'program'.

I don't know coach@ very well but I did go to him for some stroke advice when I first got a coach (in fact the coach recommended him). He got me in the water, took at look at me for about 20 minutes, gave me a frank, honest appraisal and few things to work on. When I asked him the cost he said "don't worry about it" and that was that. I did drop a six pack of beers to the pool a week later which I hope he got.

It told me enough about him to know he's honest, genuine and calls a spade a spade. He won't hold your hand but he would give you a hand up. He'll tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. Most importantly, he'll say it to your face and not via text or email.

A couple of years later he did a Trannie's day at Engadine pool with videoed stroke correction and assessment. Absolutely smashed me but was one of the most fun days I've ever spent getting flogged. We ended up at the club afterwards for a meal and drinks. It just confirmed everything I thought from our first meeting.

Good bloke, great athlete and very likely an outstanding coach. That, as I see it, would be worth paying for.

I saw coach@ driving yesterday :ninja: and I reckon he could do with a good contra deal with a panel beater if there are any on here looking for coaching!   :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

I saw coach@ driving yesterday :ninja: and I reckon he could do with a good contra deal with a panel beater if there are any on here looking for coaching!   :lol: 

haha Roxii! My daughter smashed the car on Sunday. Thank God she isn't hurt. Madeline Tynan sorted us out yesterday. I'm done driving with arctic gear on :D 

2 hours ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Some of the programs they have been prescribed are that complex, detached from the realities of human and family  living - and overly analytical, that it's a wonder people can even get through one week. Maybe a back to the future model has a place. 

I've seen a few posts around the place expressing similar sentiments.

From the outside, there appears to be a focus on being able to measure things all the time and having specific intervals in every ride/run.

I always wonder if there are coaches out there who would be happy to set number of sessions, duration and effort only kind of thing.

Keep an athlete getting out there, holding them back from over doing it and keeping it simple enough that you can just get out and ride/run without thinking too hard (at all).

If coach@ programs have 

1 # dressing up in superhero suits getting on the bike for a lap of the national park jumping of wattamola half way then going to bundeena for a beer and ferry ride home .

2# Ridding Macquarie pass smashing the hill then ridding home in a daze 

3# Doing 400 reps whilst eating Garlic sausages on the track trying not to vomite

4# swimming 16x400 and not missing the time for fear of ridicule 

5# weekly meetings at a venue that has a pinball machine and liquid amber (not sissy lime infused crap)

Then I will pull out my speedos my ASICS my bike and my Elvis suit and sign up....

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

4# swimming 16x400 and not missing the time for fear of ridicule 

That time better be over 10 minutes :D

Coaching people properly takes time, you’ve gotta stay on top of their load over the previous month/months, have a plan for the next months specifics and be in constant contact with athletes if you want them to progress, based on my time spent I’ll be 2hrs a week per athlete, conservatively which includes phone/emails/sms/programming 

If you work that out on an hourly rate then according to most my time is worth $25 per hr, how many of you earn that much per hr? I’m sure neally everyone is north of that figure. 

It’s a hard avenue to earn a living unless you’re complimenting the personalised coaching with group sessions weekly  or another income to boost the piggy bank. 

Id much prefer to give people advice without specifics for free a lot of the year with the plan to go to specifics for a 12-16ish week block into their A race, that way they are happy for pay for your time and your not taking $$$ year round from their pocket. 

Judging by the responses you guys would shit yourself at some of the monthly fees for well know coaches both in Australia and New Zealand. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, clintred said:

Judging by the responses you guys would shit yourself at some of the monthly fees for well know coaches both in Australia and New Zealand. 

Oh I've seen them.  It's insane. Per 4 weeks.

image.thumb.png.fa4272045c5db41556887de2f9d379e1.png

34 minutes ago, Peter said:

Oh I've seen them.  It's insane. Per 4 weeks.

image.thumb.png.fa4272045c5db41556887de2f9d379e1.png

I wonder what the difference is between 'Professional' and 'Platinum" given there appears no difference in what's offered?

55 minutes ago, trinube said:

I wonder what the difference is between 'Professional' and 'Platinum" given there appears no difference in what's offered?

There was more below. But I didn’t want to advertise the coach