Lesmack

Run Larapinta 2019

This will be my first multi stage run and Ive made it though the training in almost 1 piece which is a good start.  My goal is to finish but I won't be breaking any records. I've noticed a number of people have done this race or have friends that have done it so any words of wisdom will be happily received. Even if you haven't done it but have stage race experience that would also be great. Im especially interested in tips re water on the course. It seems that they use potable bore water which isn't particularly nice so Im wondering if that is at all aid stations on all days? Would it be worth the weight to run with a full water bladder to avoid this. Also there seems to be cafes at the end of each day did you rely on them for post race food or do you need to pack that as well. We have a camper so can bring as much water/food as we want. All tips appreciated, fire away.

Edited by Lesmack
  • Like 2

Lesmack, will see you there, I'm in for the experience and scenery

This will be first Larapinta, but have done multi day races in past, so generic advise

I will flavor water in bladder (using old style camelbak rather than new style vest with bottles) either with electrolyte or GU style salt tablets. For this will use water supplied at water stops, and hope flavoring will make it taste okay.

recover after each stage is important, especially hydration/salts. Planning on buying lunch at at cafe's at end of stage, or having a few bar's fruit in bag that organizers will transport from start to end (assuming this will happen)

pack compulsory gear into clear ziplock bags (squash air out and seal) so easy to inspect and move around, also make day to day organisation easier.

Taking lots of compeded? blister strips to address any foot issues asap. Fresh socks each day, using same shoes as flying in as part of 6 week holiday (and bike for Redback MTB race 3 days later)

Essentially it will be no different than doing back to back training days (I don't run consecutive days so will be interesting how my body goes). Sitting around afterward will be more restful than going to the office/work

I am taking my own coffee but hoping to find a good local supply to get some for traveling

I'll take my tranny hat

richard

• Like 3

Done it a couple of times, and will be back again in the future, but heading to Spain and Portugal for some running and treking the following week, so this  year is out.  My wife Liz has been asked to sweep for the long course again this year, introduce yourselves.

On the water thing, carry plenty.  Logistics make it difficult to get much out to the couple of aid stations.  The first couple of days are OK but the longer days you'll need to be a bit more careful.  The first year i made the error of filling up my hydration bladder at Glen Helen, not knowing that it was quite salty bore water and got quite sick.  Last year I took a couple of bottles of water from Alice to fill my pack with the next time and that was fine.  Year one i also ran out of water with over 10k to go in 35 degrees which also got a bit ugly.  They fixed this stupidity last year by not letting you leave an aid station without a full minimum 2ltr bladder.

For a post stage feed, there is food at the cafes at Standley Chasm, Ormiston Gorge and Glen Helen.

Stage racing is the best fun you can have racing.  Run hard in brilliant surrounds, have a beer with great people at each stage finish, a big meal, nice sleep and do it all again the next day.

Relax, You'll  love it.  Have fun.

• Like 3

Lawman thanks for the water tip for day 4. May have to break my rule about buying water. 

Thanks for the info. Lawman is the water at the aid stations bore or fresh. Thinking if it is nasty I will carry more on those days. Day 2 you have to have 3lt when you leave the aid station. Richard, if you look at the results both day 2 and 4 seem to take the same time even though there is a 10km difference. 😬

"Stage racing is the best fun you can have racing.  Run hard in brilliant surrounds, have a beer with great people at each stage finish, a big meal, nice sleep and do it all again the next day."

Lawman you make sound so easy!! But it will be amazing. Im doing short course but will keep an eye out for your wife.

Richard, It looks like we have our names on our bibs, I'm Lesley, female, old and will be milling around near the back. See you there.

Edited by Lesmack
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lesmack said:

Richard, It looks like we have our names on our bibs, I'm Lesley, female, old and will be milling around near the back. See you there.

From stalking on the competitor list, we are in the same age group so you are still young, 

• Like 1

Hey Lesmack, water at the aid stations last year was fresh water.  Its a trail run, I've never done an easy one but the views and experience make up for it.  You run on a lot of different surfaces and there is a fair bit of rock hopping which I find a bit hard on my feet, otherwise its fine.

I met some guys at the first one and we have been back, a couple of them are back again this year, lookout for "The Originals" ..... they'll be the loud ones.  People don't go back unless these races are good and Rapid Ascent do it pretty well.

Day 2 I have always found the toughest, there is a bit of running on dry sand (Fish River??), plenty of climbing and then some scrambling.  Nasty unexpected little climb towards the end, so it helps if you have just a little bit left.

• Like 3

Lesmack I love the heat. Rather be hot than cold. I saw the 31 degC for Sunday. Then 0 degC overnight in a tent.  I’m really looking forward to the experience of the whole event.

Main thing is to drink lots and drink early. 

I’m pretty much packed and waiting to fly Thursday. 

• Like 3

Bit warmer than I hoped but what will be will be . Never been out this way so it will be a spectacular event. Yup we fly Thursday as well and am pretty much ready to roll. My husband will be chucking stuff in his bag at 4am tomorrow! Couldn't think of anything worse than getting out of a tent and running 30km. (just call me soft) we have a big camper with all the luxuries!!!

Getting excited and terrified at the same time.

• Like 4

Very jealous of you guys, would love to be there its one of the great events.

Spoke to my wife who flew over yesterday.  I think she thought that given she was running sweep for the long course she might get special treatment and the better accommodation at Glen Helen ................. nup ........tent.    🤣🤣

Having said that, the tents were fine last year and the rest of the accommodation is hardly resort.  Its generally bunks in rooms with other smelly runners!

• Like 1

Registration done and a beautiful day 

mans a photo from this morning at Simpsons Gap where the long course start tomorrow 

61C2BF5A-70B1-462F-8B70-5BEC4BB3F4D3.jpeg

49207A59-5339-4AF8-B189-3BB22FF064D3.jpeg

C6827DBB-E631-4778-A137-523DEBDDE056.jpeg

• Like 4

Registered and ready to roll. Met some nice people all ready so it’s going to be a fun few days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

Registration done and a beautiful day 

mans a photo from this morning at Simpsons Gap where the long course start tomorrow 

61C2BF5A-70B1-462F-8B70-5BEC4BB3F4D3.jpeg

49207A59-5339-4AF8-B189-3BB22FF064D3.jpeg

C6827DBB-E631-4778-A137-523DEBDDE056.jpeg

I don't know if vintage is the word I would use to describe you....😀

Thanks Tim. 

If your wife is in the same age group I’ll pass the compliment on 

Well done r-d.  I hear the conditions were pretty warm yesterday.

I got a message from my wife last night who is sweep for the long course and she said it was a bit hot and that there was a bit of carnage as a result.  She helped one guy who was pretty crook to get the last 8k to the finish. 

• Like 2

Back in Alice Springs now. It was everything Lawman promised. I will try and write something when on computer. 

06329062-2C91-424D-9EF0-0E050F4137FE.jpeg

C78EEBE5-3C85-49A3-AAF7-A576A56B2F40.jpeg

798E7DBA-8B79-47E3-9950-CFD425955C5B.jpeg

79D90131-17F2-4F31-8BB0-A5314C584881.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations, I hope you enjoyed it.

So this "trail", where is it? I can only see rocks :lol:

Well done. Although we didn’t meet formally , that’s my backside in the first photo scrambling up the gully day two. I imagine we may have chatted or cursed together. It was beautiful and brutal. Would I recommend it to others. Hell yes. Would I do it again. No way. 

Ps Lawman. I had breakfast with your wife this morning. 

Edited by Lesmack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well done Lesmack, you'll be back.  How good are the views at the top of the climb on day 2.

Wow the weather was odd, Liz said it was pretty cool over the last two days.  

Great info and photos.

If I ever get back to running I might seriously look at doing this event.

• Like 1