Sign in to follow this  
goughy

Ride/Run the Toowoomba Range Bypass!!

Thought I'd post this up.  The Toowoomba Range Bypass will be opening up on I think the 8th September.  Rotary Ride the Range is running an event the day before to ride the new bypass before it opens to traffic (and becomes illegal for cyclists).  Then the next day the Toowoomba Runners are running a Marathon, Half mara, 10k and 5k on the bypass.  Only chance to ever cycle or run the road, so thought some local'ish peeps might be interested in this.

https://ridetherange.org.au/

https://www.facebook.com/RotaryRideTheRange/?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R&eid=ARCeheeKSmQ1dSwxLgM55Rcst1YUCD87k4CDPUE9RhPbMsYq9pJKASGZ__ryuJIrFUeCQttmzA8q_fig&hc_ref=ARQSxwuD9XFD3zSqnHzb1AamYd6Z-HUOyEsgvusHh7Hte2vbZTu5CI63k6eVhJ6zcZM&fref=nf&hc_location=group

https://www.facebook.com/events/422595685013832/

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Thought I'd post this up.  The Toowoomba Range Bypass will be opening up on I think the 8th September.  Rotary Ride the Range is running an event the day before to ride the new bypass before it opens to traffic (and becomes illegal for cyclists).  Then the next day the Toowoomba Runners are running a Marathon, Half mara, 10k and 5k on the bypass.  Only chance to ever cycle or run the road, so thought some local'ish peeps might be interested in this.

https://ridetherange.org.au/

https://www.facebook.com/RotaryRideTheRange/?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R&eid=ARCeheeKSmQ1dSwxLgM55Rcst1YUCD87k4CDPUE9RhPbMsYq9pJKASGZ__ryuJIrFUeCQttmzA8q_fig&hc_ref=ARQSxwuD9XFD3zSqnHzb1AamYd6Z-HUOyEsgvusHh7Hte2vbZTu5CI63k6eVhJ6zcZM&fref=nf&hc_location=group

https://www.facebook.com/events/422595685013832/

They did the same thing with the Gateway Bridge. On the Saturday you could walk or ride over it, then the Sunday they had a Fun-Run over it, then Monday they opened it.

We actually rode over it a few times in the weeks leading up to it, but these days I suppose security is a bit tighter around infrastructure builds.

• Like 1

Dilemma:

This or Sunny Coast 70.3?

or just another training day. 

Imagine how good the downhill roll could be?  It looks like the 73k option goes down, then up.  6° down for a long way I'd guess.  Imagine the Kom/Qom and the Strava segments that day!  I reckon it'll be insane.

One of the guys in my cycling group has said there's apparently 1200 cyclists entered for this on Saturday, with most doing the full 32km

On 31/07/2019 at 11:27 AM, iFoz said:

Dilemma:

This or Sunny Coast 70.3?

or just another training day. 

just don't stop at the bottom and keep going to Maroochydore, sizzler for tea and you'll be right

It's 73.  I blame the typo on my cold

• Like 1

Hey Goughy. Actually it was a fairly tough ride given the amount of wind that was about - the climb back up the range after the INSANE descent (where one could sit at 80kph for about 10k). was hellish. Basically a gale coming straight at you. Many times I thought I'd get blown off the bike.

As for the other parts of the ride...it was a bit 'meh'. Didn't think it was well organised to be honest. At one point they let 'classic' cars (think old holdens etc) on  to the viaduct and they ended up driving through the bike packs (so much for closed roads). The ride itself was fairly devoid of any interesting things to look at - unless you like looking at farms I guess. 

Heard there were a whole bunch of crashes as well though I didn't see any myself. 

Yeah, I'm actually a bit glad I wasn't able to do it.  Interesting thing to do once, but not interesting enough to want to do again.  Heard it was a bit hard for the marathoners yesterday.

I did the ride on Saturday. The wind truly sucked and waiting around in the shade at 6:30 for the 7:00am start was miserable.

I only saw 1 accident - about 5-10km after the start where someone must have clipped a wheel. I was surprised that I didn't see any accidents on the descent because I had a couple of anxious moments from wind gusts.

Coming from the flat lands of Goondiwindi I was pretty nervous about the climb. It was definitely hard but the wind made it harder again. Without the wind it would have been a good ride. With the wind (and dust) it was definitely a lesser experience than I was expecting.

On the news I heard one of the federal pollies giving a speech at the opening of the Toowoomba second range crossing describe it as the 8th wonder of the modern world, and another call it an engineering marvel.  It's a road dudes, with some bridges (I've seen bridges before) that finished overtime, over budget (I'm assuming) and with over 100 breaches of safety during its construction.  Lots of machinery roll overs.

18 minutes ago, goughy said:

8th wonder of the modern world, and another call it an engineering marvel

I'd say when it was put in, the first crossing was a much greater engineering marvel than this one is now. I think the greatest marvel of this 2nd crossing is that it ever got built, and now McVeigh is going to have to try to find something else to promise you for the next 4 elections.

But it's not like he has to deliver!  The know member that retired so he could take over crowed about how he promised he'd deliver it and that he did.  He was promising it for about 20 years.

It's still a significant achievement for the area though. Anything that eases the amount of heavy vehicle's on James St, cant be a bad thing.