FatPom

Could you run 100 miles in 24hrs?

I hadn't heard of this event until recently.  i work very close to Reading but the solo entries for next year are all gone, so I've entered Leeds.  The course is 8km with a couple of hills.  On paper, 100mile sounds 'doable' as it works out at 20 x 1hr laps, which leaves 4hrs for faffing.  However I'm sure the reality would be completely different.

How far do you reckon you would get?

https://www.endure24.co.uk/

It's something I think about.

I'm in no shape to do it now, or the last 7 years or more.

I think about it though.

How would Ibreak it up? 

1 or 2 "long" breaks?

Regular shorter breaks? Kinda like transitions.

How would I restart after a break?

What sort of performance drop off after what duration?

How bad is the fatigue at 3 or 4  or 5 am or all of them?

Its a long way from 30 min run/walk to 24 hours of it though.

My plan would be regular short breaks, maybe alternate a walking lap in there for the brain, and the chance to keep moving but eat properly

Not Sure I could make the 100, but would guve it a go! 

Done 30hr on the bike and of course 29 run. You need to find what works for you

When the records are 135 for Males and 130 for females I don't imagine 100 miles being achieved by most folk.

It is amazing how much time bleeds once your are to the point of walking and not returning, not that I've ever personally been there.

80-90 should be achievable by most 100 if you're dedicated and 110 fully prepared.

Thanks all, good comments. I'd like to think I could give 85 a nudge.  I read an interesting report by a guy that managed to do 100 on his third attempt. Interestingly, he said he in his opinion, he stuffed up the first two times by going to slowly in the first half.

His theory was that it is possible to go too slowly early on and due to fatigue, you don't save enough energy to cash in on the back half, even with your earlier slow pace because you tend to slow down, no matter what.

Edited by FatPom

10 hours ago, nealo said:

When the records are 135 for Males and 130 for females I don't imagine 100 miles being achieved by most folk.

Assuming that is that course only?

I think i could have pre dislocated hip. (based on 100km in 13hr 45min Tarawea Ultra in 2015)

Now almost certainly not, this is more based on the ability to train to get the physical conditioning.

My strategy would have been to

• start at a comfortable pace, knowing will fade 
  • walk the hill on the first 3 laps to get a taste of how hard, then make decision on walk hill strategy after that
  • minimize stationary time at transition. basically eat moving and only stop for sock/shoe changes, grabbing food.
  • Focus on food intake for the first 8hr (daylight when body is used to eating)

while 8km/hr sounds easy, if you spend 5 min each lap stationary at the transition/base that is 8km/55min of moving time (8.7km/hr)

Good luck