goughy

Winter warmth on the bike

Just wondering what people recommend doing these days?  Talking about 0 to 5 degrees, sometimes with wind.  Do people still recommend multiple layers with maybe a windstopper jacket rather than trying to get a warm jacket over the top?

Currently down at zero I'd wear a some percentage Merino longsleeve base (jaggad but worn out), long sleeve Jersey and an old jaggad Invest jacket that's too big .  But it's not really that warm.  Should I get a full Merino base, them some sort of wind stopper jacket rather than a warm jacket?  I do like that my Invest jacket can become a winter vest.  And gloves I'm wearing BBB cold shield gloves, but all this combo didn't really keep me warm last cold ride.

5 minutes ago, goughy said:

Just wondering what people recommend doing these days?  Talking about 0 to 5 degrees, sometimes with wind.  Do people still recommend multiple layers with maybe a windstopper jacket rather than trying to get a warm jacket over the top?

Currently down at zero I'd wear a some percentage Merino longsleeve base (jaggad but worn out), long sleeve Jersey and an old jaggad Invest jacket that's too big .  But it's not really that warm.  Should I get a full Merino base, them some sort of wind stopper jacket rather than a warm jacket?  I do like that my Invest jacket can become a winter vest.  And gloves I'm wearing BBB cold shield gloves, but all this combo didn't really keep me warm last cold ride.

I’ve started using little foot warmers in my cycling shoes - bliss. $2 from the chemist👍 Was riding up near Thredbo this week and my toes were toasty.

Wifey ordered me some with her chemist order.

I picked some up today. Will try them out tomorrow and report my findings.

• Thanks 1

What about your melon Goughie?

Skull cap? Bandana? Podium cap? Anything other than luscious locks?

19 minutes ago, Tyno said:

What about your melon Goughie?

Skull cap? Bandana? Podium cap? Anything other than luscious locks?

The luscious locks do a great job.  My bolle helmet came with a winter insert, that comes down right over my ears.  Then I grabbed another one of them and modified it to not come down so far, for less cold days.  Then add in the aero covers it came with.  Then there's my adidas neck tube, and still have a balaclava to go.  Only thing that doesn't get cold is my head.

I love how the Melbourne and Tassie people haven’t responded.  

Basically because we are laughing at the northerners thinking they ride in the cold. 

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

Basically because we are laughing at the northerners thinking they ride in the cold. 

I thought most on here rode indoors. :P

Our issue is that 90% of our kit is short sleeves & knicks, and that it's hard to justify spending big for 5 days a year when it drops close to zero.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

I got given a short sleeve Gabba this year. Greatest thing I have ever owned.

56 minutes ago, Peter said:

Cue FP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

It gets very fresh at elevation, like up on Mount Cootha on those wet mornings...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Katz said:

I picked some up today. Will try them out tomorrow and report my findings.

Meh, they were ok. Must say they were cool by the time I got to work, as were my toes. I thought they said on the pack something about up to 8 hours warmth. I reckon I got about 20 mins. 

I'll try again tomorrow. Might have just been a dodgy pair or something.

3 hours ago, pieman said:

It gets very fresh at elevation, like up on Mount Cootha on those wet mornings...

haha  Where is captain meme of late? 

someone needs to make sure he is still alive.

I find that if I turn the heater on to pre-warm the gym while I feed the dogs, I don't need any extra clothes to ride in winter. 

3 hours ago, Katz said:

Meh, they were ok. Must say they were cool by the time I got to work, as were my toes. I thought they said on the pack something about up to 8 hours warmth. I reckon I got about 20 mins. 

I'll try again tomorrow. Might have just been a dodgy pair or something.

I've used them a lot for trail running (cold starts and all). 

I think they need oxygen to keep warm? 

Do you have shoe covers as well?   I find the castelli toe thingies perfect. 

https://www.wiggle.com.au/castelli-toe-thingy-2/

I don't have room for the hot packs, but the toe thingies plus good socks are nice. 

I might get some of those toe covers. I've been trying to find something which works for wet weather, but everything seems crap.

1 minute ago, Naut said:

I have the toe thingys, not convinced they do much.

I have seal skinz, better than nothing but still cold 

20 minutes ago, Naut said:

I have the toe thingys, not convinced they do much.

Plastic sandwich bags over the socks before they go in the shoes.

Keeps the wind out completely.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter said:

:whistling:

• Haha 2

yes yes we know you ride in snow, but seriously I was on the Gold Coast 2 weeks ago and I was swimming at the beach and all the locals were in steamers.

Wife was running at 6am in a singlet.

FFS I ride in Summer kit down to 10c.  Arm warmers to 5c.  Knee warmers to 0c and full leg warmers and Jacket below 0c.

Yet I was seeing people riding on the Goldie in full winter gear and it was 20c.

Edited by Peter

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

FFS I ride in Summer kit down to 10c.  Arm warmers to 5c.  Knee warmers to 0c and full leg warmers and Jacket below 0c.

Yet I was seeing people riding on the Goldie in full winter gear and it was 20c.

And when I was running, I would do lunch runs in Summer at 35C+. It's all about what you are used to.

Additionally, I've been down the GC in Winter when it's been 20C+ by 10:30, but Canungra (a popular ride in the hinterland) has been below 0C just after sunrise.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

50 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And when I was running, I would do lunch runs in Summer at 35C+. It's all about what you are used to.

Additionally, I've been down the GC in Winter when it's been 20C+ by 10:30, but Canungra (a popular ride in the hinterland) has been below 0C just after sunrise.

absolutely if you are riding in the Hinterland.  I have ridden out in the Hinterland, about 4-5k from the beach and the paddocks have been white with frost although if I had have gone out a couple of hours later it would have been about 10C warmer.

42 minutes ago, CootaGC said:

absolutely if you are riding in the Hinterland.  I have ridden out in the Hinterland, about 4-5k from the beach and the paddocks have been white with frost although if I had have gone out a couple of hours later it would have been about 10C warmer.

This is what I keep saying that most Aussies don't get.  Talking about -2 or 0C at dawn but then being 10 or 11C by lunchtime, is a completely different world than starting at 3C and staying at 3C all day, with low light and rain.

They aren't comparable.  Anyone can put up with -2 or 3C for 60-90mins until it warms up but dealing with low temps all day and wet roads/mud is very hard  (at least I find it hard).

Let's not even start on freakin bike and kit cleaning :lol:

6 minutes ago, FatPom said:

This is what I keep saying that most Aussies don't get.  Talking about -2 or 0C at dawn but then being 10 or 11C by lunchtime, is a completely different world than starting at 3C and staying at 3C all day, with low light and rain.

They aren't comparable.  Anyone can put up with -2 or 3C for 60-90mins until it warms up but dealing with low temps all day and wet roads/mud is very hard  (at least I find it hard).

But when you start at sub zero and finish in the mid 20's it gets very annoying carrying all the extra layers.

And by the same argument, anybody can put up with running in 35C temperatures for 60-90mins.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But when you start at sub zero and finish in the mid 20's it gets very annoying carrying all the extra layers.

And by the same argument, anybody can put up with running in 35C temperatures for 60-90mins.

But that's the very opposite of cold, if you have to shed layers. I'm describing training that lasts for months like this, constant wet roads, mud and kit cleaning.

Edited by FatPom

42 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I'm describing training that lasts for months like this, constant wet roads, mud and kit cleaning.

Lets be real.

As if anyone would choose to live in a place like that 

:D

• Like 1

I bought an attaquer race jacket. Similar to the castelli Gabba. Wasn’t cheap, but the best bit of kit I have ever bought. I wear it from autumn right through to December. Winter riding I always need to wear double (thin) running gloves. I also wear a buff to pull up over my face on those cold mornings.

I tend to avoid Marino because it doesn’t dry fast enough. I wear a compression long sleeve top, and the jacket and I’m good easily down to 0 degrees

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

But that's the very opposite of cold, if you have to shed layers. I'm describing training that lasts for months like this, constant wet roads, mud and kit cleaning.

But Goughy started the thread wanting to know what someone accustomed to Qld weather could used to keep warm for those 1hr+ rides on a cold (our cold) morning.

And I was making the point that all these people saying "that's not cold" live in different climates, and are therefore accustomed to different temperature ranges. Someone who is used to living in an environment that rarely gets below 5C is going to find 60 minutes on a bike in 0C a lot more uncomfortable than someone who rides in it every day for months. 

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Plastic sandwich bags over the socks before they go in the shoes.

Keeps the wind out completely.

It was recently recommended to me to wrap newspaper (not sure where to find any!) around your toes, over your socks. Apparently it works a treat. Haven't tried it yet...

17 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

It was recently recommended to me to wrap newspaper (not sure where to find any!) around your toes, over your socks. Apparently it works a treat. Haven't tried it yet...

I don't think my shoes would be big enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FatPom said:

I couldn’t do it. The cold maybe but the wet weather, roads etc. no way,

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

Not in shoes but we used to carry news paper in back pocket and shove down top when going down a hill after working up a sweat getting up the hill. Works as a good wind breaker.

• Like 1

if you don't have good winter gear, alfoil....

in helmet,

down front of shirt

over socks

and layers.. lots of layers

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, goughy said:

My Daugther has the hand warmers for her ski gloves and the toe warmers for her ski boots and has been using them for 10 years. She reckons there a winner. You can buy in bulk boxes at Costco

51 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

My Daugther has the hand warmers for her ski gloves and the toe warmers for her ski boots and has been using them for 10 years. She reckons there a winner. You can buy in bulk boxes at Costco

Yeah I like them. I would t necessarily call them ‘warmers’. For me they are more like ‘not colders’. 

It just keeps my toes like they would on a normal ride.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But Goughy started the thread wanting to know what someone accustomed to Qld weather could used to keep warm for those 1hr+ rides on a cold (our cold) morning.

And I was making the point that all these people saying "that's not cold" live in different climates, and are therefore accustomed to different temperature ranges. Someone who is used to living in an environment that rarely gets below 5C is going to find 60 minutes on a bike in 0C a lot more uncomfortable than someone who rides in it every day for months. 

true enough

1 hour ago, Limited said:

On gcn they wrapped their toes in alfoil to keep them warm. 

That really works well, until you take your shoes off and the alfoil looks like confetti and goes everywhere.

IMG_1781.jpg

Evil Guru, Knackered and me. 

I used to be a hard man of the sport... Once upon a time. Cro-Mo training bike, Trannies Knicks and no bootie/ear cobers covers on a very cold day in Melbourne. Oh yeah, I used to be Hiltz on here. Man I was fit back then! 

Now days if it's under 15 degrees I just roll over and go back to sleep :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1