Jump to content
FatPom

Trail vests for MTB?

Recommended Posts

I have a Salomon S-Lab 5 trail vest with soft bottles. It has no bladder but can take one.  I also have an OMM Ultra 20 whic I bought for long MTB rides and winter trail running, where instant access is not so much of an issue.

I have a 6hr MTB race coming up end of Aug  (multi lap) and have one bottle cage on my mtb.   The OMM bag would be overkill and I'm not sure I want to stop every lap to fill a bottle  (8km laps).  I was wondering why i couldn't just but a bladder and use the Salomon vest as a mtb hydro and food system?  (minus the soft flasks of course).

It would save buying yet another piece of equipment.

sensible, stupid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there done that. 

As long as yours sits comfortably in the position on the bike then why not indeed? 

Only thing I found is some running packs sit higher across the shoulder blades that can be less comfortable when have a full bladder, and stretched in the biking position. Should take 5 secs to decide if it's us ok or not. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I preferred a running pack for my mtb rides as I used the front pockets for gels and chews, instead of soft flasks. And bladder in the back. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent, cheers Turts. I'm riding tonight, don't have the bladder but might use the vest as spares/food and see how that sits first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found the smaller ones sit higher and less comfy on the bike. But test it out and see.

Good luck and enjoy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone used one of these? https://www.wiggle.com.au/salomon-agile-6-set/

The pack I use for the cycle commute is a bit big and bounces around when I am doing the run commute. I don't need to be able to pack much, just phone/wallet/lunch really as I can take my change of clothes the previous day on the bike. I like the idea of it sitting nice and high and no waist strap which I find just digs in an affects my breathing.

Thoughts/comments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks pretty good, can you try one on anywhere ?  I run in a SLab for any run over 2hrs.  Feels good and allows me to experience what it's like to be a female.

Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Merv said:

Looks pretty good, can you try one on anywhere ?  I run in a SLab for any run over 2hrs.  Feels good and allows me to experience what it's like to be a female.

Not sure. A google search isn't showing me anywhere in Perth, but that doesn't mean anything really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Katz said:

Has anyone used one of these? https://www.wiggle.com.au/salomon-agile-6-set/

The pack I use for the cycle commute is a bit big and bounces around when I am doing the run commute. I don't need to be able to pack much, just phone/wallet/lunch really as I can take my change of clothes the previous day on the bike. I like the idea of it sitting nice and high and no waist strap which I find just digs in an affects my breathing.

Thoughts/comments?

That looks pretty good, in fact I probably would have bought that instead of my S-Lab 5 had I known about it. I suspect you will have to add a bladder if you want one, as it doesn't look like it comes with that but it does look like it has the bottles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FatPom said:

That looks pretty good, in fact I probably would have bought that instead of my S-Lab 5 had I known about it. I suspect you will have to add a bladder if you want one, as it doesn't look like it comes with that but it does look like it has the bottles.

I won't be needing to use a bladder with it. I've got about all the different camelbak variants from the trail running days I can use if and when I get back to that kind of running. This is literally just to get to and from work. I do like the bottles though. Just in case for when the work commute gets a bit longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Katz said:

I won't be needing to use a bladder with it. I've got about all the different camelbak variants from the trail running days I can use if and when I get back to that kind of running. This is literally just to get to and from work. I do like the bottles though. Just in case for when the work commute gets a bit longer.

Sounds like it'd be just what you need Katz.  I'm really happy with my S-Lab 5 but none of the large pockets have zips. I'd say the Agile is probably a better commuting vest.

Have you seen the Camelback Chase?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just us the Blackwolf gogo daypacks from anaconda for a run commute. 

Edited by Merv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Sounds like it'd be just what you need Katz.  I'm really happy with my S-Lab 5 but none of the large pockets have zips. I'd say the Agile is probably a better commuting vest.

Have you seen the Camelback Chase?

I hadn't, but have looked at it. I've got one similar.

26 minutes ago, Merv said:

I just us the Blackwolf gogo daypacks from anaconda for a run commute. 

It's a bit big for what I need. This is what I use on the bike and have been using. https://www.evanscycles.com/deuter-race-x-backpack-EV139664 

It's not quite right for running with for me at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I bought this one https://www.wiggle.com.au/salomon-agile-6-set/ 

It arrived yesterday and I tried it out today. I am in love. 😍

It is really light, no structure to it really at all. Good shape, adjustment straps located well. Plenty of pockets and the main compartment is really big given the size of the bag. I got my lunch and a full change of clothes in it, wallet, phone.

Highly recommend.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be updating my s lab in the new year . Will be looking at something to accomodate longer sessions and carrying compulsory gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...