Willywonka

TrainerRoad price increase

Noticed today on a TR Forum that TrainerRoad is increasing prices from $129 USD to $189 USD per year or $15 USD to $19.95 USD per month. At least they are grandfathering the increases. Second increase within a year.

https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/tr-price-increase-to-189-95-year-19-95-month/18551/4

Love the reasoning, hire more people, do more research and make us faster!

I just stopped my subscription a couple.of weeks ago. No warning that I'd have to go back on at a higher price. 

Oh well. Probably won't go back. 

But maybe I will. Will just do the maths a bit more on rouvy, tr or zwift a little more closely. 

I'm certainly not getting the value from Zwift this year, especially at £12.99 per mth but I can't bring myself to shut it off either.  Each ride is costing me about £2.50 at the moment. :lol:

I don’t get the same value from FulGaz either. At least I am an early subscriber to TrainerRoad so will keep it going. Was thinking about Zwift but just unsure. 

2 minutes ago, Willywonka said:

I don’t get the same value from FulGaz either. At least I am an early subscriber to TrainerRoad so will keep it going. Was thinking about Zwift but just unsure. 

I think Zwift has one of the best 'all round' packages, with regards to variety, interaction, 'races' and stuff. The reason for my lack of value is because I've focused on trail running this year. Looking at all the options, if I had to choose, it would be Zwift.

On 23/07/2019 at 8:20 PM, Willywonka said:

How do you find FulGaz?

NSF

On 23/07/2019 at 8:25 PM, FatPom said:

I think Zwift has one of the best 'all round' packages, with regards to variety, interaction, 'races' and stuff. The reason for my lack of value is because I've focused on trail running this year. Looking at all the options, if I had to choose, it would be Zwift.

Agreed. Within reason, I can jump on at any time and find a race, workout or group ride to do, find a route that suits my own workout, or even find a route just to kill some time (cheeky Alpe anyone?).

• Like 1

Zwift prices to go up now as well due to gst...I wish they offered a cheaper annual price..

10 minutes ago, pieman said:

Zwift prices to go up now as well due to gst...I wish they offered a cheaper annual price..

I don't mind a price rise if they keep adding new features and refining the product to increase the value in line with what they're charging.

The alternative is that I sit on a trainer in a room and stare at a blank wall and/or my head unit and power numbers.

On 23/07/2019 at 7:52 PM, Turts said:

But maybe I will. Will just do the maths a bit more on rouvy, tr or zwift a little more closely. 

Give me a holler about Rouvy, the +1 and I are happy with it.

We moved away from Zwift as we were mostly only doing workouts and not just getting on for a ride or using the racing or group ride functions. Trainerroad appeared to be the same with the workouts but Rouvy, is a lot cheaper and +1 and I are on the same plan but with separate accounts. 2 for the price of 1.

Edited by MissJess

8 minutes ago, MissJess said:

We moved away from Zwift as we were mostly only doing workouts and not just getting on for a ride or using the racing or group ride functions. Trainerroad appeared to be the same with the workouts but Rouvy, is a lot cheaper and +1 and I are on the same plan but with separate accounts. 2 for the price of 1.

That's the majority of how I use Zwift anyway but I find with others on the screen, I can use a fartlek approach and dig when as and when I want. Other times I'll use a workout.  Planning on more structure this coming winter.

20 minutes ago, MissJess said:

cheers. 

Ive tried the free intro to get the Lausanne course.  

I just don't use all the "value add" features that the other platforms seem to be adding, and making the price rise. 

I just want a simple interval controller for my trainer. 

I think I'm in my last week of TRR, then will give Rouvy a go.  Is it just workouts like TRR, without all the bells and whistles? 

I like TR and will keep subscription, it’s the fact that two hefty increases in 6 months and all kept hush hush. I don’t like the Zwift GUI. Watch this space with the wahoo and sufferfest linkup, I do expect changes.

Out of curiosity how many subscriptions do most peeps have, I have TR and FulGaz.

45 minutes ago, Turts said:

I think I'm in my last week of TRR, then will give Rouvy a go.  Is it just workouts like TRR, without all the bells and whistles? 

Yeah, and there are workouts you can search and add to your favourites, and you can do it from the desktop application as well as web portal, so I always do a bit of a search at the office. You can also build your own, but the builder is not as friendly as Zwift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willywonka said:

I like TR and will keep subscription, it’s the fact that two hefty increases in 6 months and all kept hush hush. I don’t like the Zwift GUI. Watch this space with the wahoo and sufferfest linkup, I do expect changes.

Out of curiosity how many subscriptions do most peeps have, I have TR and FulGaz.

Just Zwift for me.  There is some basic free stuff that came with my trainer but I only use it for calibrating.

I'm on the TR half ironman prep for Western Sydney 70.3 .I love it, FTP is going up and up, family love it, I'm just in garage not out on road. The run sessions coincide with running club and parkrun. So I'm just swimming on my own. 

Trainer Road has been life changing it's amazing I don't know what I would do without it 

I would definitely pay more If I had to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clappers said:

I'm on the TR half ironman prep for Western Sydney 70.3 .I love it, FTP is going up and up, family love it, I'm just in garage not out on road. The run sessions coincide with running club and parkrun. So I'm just swimming on my own. 

Trainer Road has been life changing it's amazing I don't know what I would do without it 

I would definitely pay more If I had to

Great to hear you are coming back strong mate :)

All I can say is thank god im grandfathered into the $99 price. 

For those that are already on TR, no biggie to them, but If i was starting again, I’d be looking at ZWIFT, and Sufferfest with a Training peaks account for better analytics. This is the second price jump this year.

For customers who are just poking about for a bit of structure, but don’t care too much about the primitive analytics, calendar, I reckon they will see a serious dent in new sign-ups now. I’d love to see sales, and customer exit data.

• Like 1

Somewhat unrelated but i saw a story about how Netflix has taken a pasting due to their £1 per mth increase.  A 25% increase in TR is a big hit.

Non of it is huge but add up those separate subs and it can get alarming.  I'd definitely be doing a value analysis.  Netlfix will be the next to go from our house.

Edited by FatPom

1 hour ago, Lost in transition said:

For customers who are just poking about for a bit of structure, but don’t care too much about the primitive analytics, calendar, I reckon they will see a serious dent in new sign-ups now. I’d love to see sales, and customer exit data.

That's pretty much a lot of people. And the trouble they'll have is someone stops for a bit they probably won't go back at the new price. 

As FP said, Netflix is the prime example. They lost a heap of customers and growth nearly halved.

What’s wrong with just sitting on a trainer and cranking out 60 mins. 

What does trainer road and zwift do they makes you better?

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Nothing. Did that on a dumb trainer for over 20yrs.  Fancied something different and enjoy my smart trainer and Zwift and glad I did.

Edited by FatPom

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

You can do hill repeats in the rain at 4am on Zwift without getting wet or buying thermals.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Stikman said:

You can do hill repeats in the rain at 4am on Zwift without getting wet or buying thermals.

just doing "hills" is a big plus for me, living in the land of the "topographically subdued"!

12 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Because erg mode is another type of suffering that you cant get on a dumb trainer. 😂

Edited by Lost in transition
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I'm sure there are some people that can do 3 hours on a dumb trainer, but I certainly can't. 3 hours on Zwift is doable. 

On 25/07/2019 at 8:52 PM, IronmanFoz said:

It keeps me focussed and stops me from slacking off, because if my line falls below theirs I give myself an uppercut!

• Like 1

On 25/07/2019 at 8:22 PM, IronmanFoz said:

I have done 6hrs on a trainer & done 6hrs sitting on Zwift. I know which I would prefer to do. The races on zwift allow me to push myself harder than I would sitting on a trainer (fear of getting dropped)

I did a race the other night with an avg heart rate of 158bpm & 232 avg watts. Doubt I could hold the motivation that high for that long on a standard trainer. 

I also enjoy being able to see all my km & improvement on Strava. I can also ride & chat with my buddies in the US. 

26 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I have done 6hrs on a trainer & done 6hrs sitting on Zwift. I know which I would prefer to do. The races on zwift allow me to push myself harder than I would sitting on a trainer (fear of getting dropped)

I did a race the other night with an avg heart rate of 158bpm & 232 avg watts. Doubt I could hold the motivation that high for that long on a standard trainer. 

I also enjoy being able to see all my km & improvement on Strava. I can also ride & chat with my buddies in the US. 

I'd agree with this-it's much easier to do time on Zwift than Trainerroad +Netflix. 

Part of it may be though that TR ensures you hit the entended power profiles, there is zero slacking off, not even for a minute.