Sign in to follow this  
Fresh

Gold Coast Training Locations

Hey all,

Lurker turned member looking for some recommendations / advice from those who live on the Goldie. I am moving up there in the next 3 months and don't want any blips in my training so hoping to get some pointers on good open water swimming spots and typical routes for long bike days.

I found this FB group for open water swims: https://www.facebook.com/GCOWS/ - looks like a good opportunity to meet some new folks. Any other ideas to look into?

Cheers. 

A number of the folk I swim with head down there every couple of weeks for a swim with them. It's a great crowd & they do some good swims. Well worth checking in on.

• Like 1

Where on the Goldie will you be?  

2 hours ago, -H- said:

Where on the Goldie will you be?  

Initially staying with family in Surfer's...then TBD...

Ah okay, I'm not much help then.  I lived at the southern end for a while.

2 hours ago, -H- said:

Ah okay, I'm not much help then.  I lived at the southern end for a while.

How far South? I dont know where I'll be living once we find a rental just yet...any advice will help!

I was at Kingscliff so really south, but did some rides around Tomewin and out Springbrook way.  If you end up somewhere like Coolangatta, there are heaps of options around Murwillumbah and Chillingham or down towards Mullum. 

I always avoided going too far north because of traffic, the riding is heaps better if you head south and inland.

I did most of my open water swimming in the creek at Kingscliff or in Jack Evans boat harbour at Tweed Heads, so I can't help with anything further north, sorry

We used to train there in the early days of Triathlons. It was a great venue then. Not as much vacant land around there now, but the dam itself should still be the same. GC Triathlon Club with Barry V used to race out of there.

59 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

We used to train there in the early days of Triathlons. It was a great venue then. Not as much vacant land around there now, but the dam itself should still be the same. GC Triathlon Club with Barry V used to race out of there.

Recently declared safe again after about 6 months due to algae

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Are you referring to Hinze dam? Can you swim there?

1 hour ago, Fresh said:

Are you referring to Hinze dam? Can you swim there?

No. Lake Hugh Muntz was the first "wet" stage of Robina in the early to mid 80's. When we first started racing down the GC, there were only half a dozen houses around it. Col Stewart used to get us to do training sessions where we'd swim across, run through a vacant lot, along the road & back to the dam, then across again. Repeat back & forth over every section of the dam till we'd done about 3km of swimming & 10km of running. 

The GC club used to have a clubhouse in a park there, and had races every couple of weekends as well.

Pretty sure you aren't allowed to swim in Hinze Dam.

If you're at Surfers, I know some people who swim in Evandale Lake, in behind the Home of The Arts.

Near the Surfers park run course.

Rides - just head for the hills, like H said.

Thanks for the recommendations...

A follow up Q...where would you suggest I sign up for pool swimming / coaching with a focus on tri-training? I need some good quality coaching to firm up my swim technique.

I've finally settled on the Goldie, living in Robina...nice place! Running and riding I think I have sorted, I've managed to pull a few nice routes through Beachmont, Lamington National Park (any others of note?)

What I am stuck with is finding a good pool with decent coaches...right now I am thinking of Mudgeeraba or Nerang pools...anyone visit either of these?

Failing that, does anyone know of a good swim coach on the GC I could reach out too?

Cheers

8 hours ago, Fresh said:

I've finally settled on the Goldie, living in Robina...nice place! Running and riding I think I have sorted, I've managed to pull a few nice routes through Beachmont, Lamington National Park (any others of note?)

What I am stuck with is finding a good pool with decent coaches...right now I am thinking of Mudgeeraba or Nerang pools...anyone visit either of these?

Failing that, does anyone know of a good swim coach on the GC I could reach out too?

Cheers

Miami pool is close ish isn't it and always had decent squads plus are multiple pools if your swimming alone.  Otherwise southport but that's quite a way away but depends where you're working as well..

10 hours ago, Fresh said:

Cheers

A good fast ride is currumbin, and a good hilly ride is Tomewin. 

Defiantly dot go all the way to Nerang pool is you live at Robina. Miami is down the road with two pools. 

I've visited Miami and dont get a warm feeling...multiple people I've spoken to cannot give me a straight answer on the number of lanes available, how many people usually occupy them and if there is any technique coaching. Ontop of that they're closing one of the pools and condensing the squads into one pool...no one seems to know what will happen after that.

Don't forget you can also head south, there are squads around Tweed Heads/Kingscliff/Murwillumbah that might suit your purposes and will be quicker and easier to get to than heading north.

13 hours ago, Prince said:

A good fast ride is currumbin, and a good hilly ride is Tomewin. 

Defiantly dot go all the way to Nerang pool is you live at Robina. Miami is down the road with two pools. 

Any specific roads to follow?

1 hour ago, Clarkevitch said:

Ride up to Mt Tamborine and also out to Canungra and up to Oreillys is always a good workout.

Ive been recommended the O'Reilly's trip before, but heard the road from GC city out there is too dangerous to ride on...any safer ways to get to Canungra?

12 hours ago, Fresh said:

Ive been recommended the O'Reilly's trip before, but heard the road from GC city out there is too dangerous to ride on...any safer ways to get to Canungra?

Do Henri Robert Drive

17 hours ago, Fresh said:

Yes, you could drive to Canungra and ride up Oreillys which is about a 70ks round trip or drive to Tambourine village up to Oreillys which would be 100k round trip I think.

17 hours ago, Fresh said:

for the Currumbin valley, just get onto Currumbin ck rd. it is light on traffic, and eventually comes to a dead end.  if you wanted to do tomewin, you will see the signs off this road  as well. 

Springbrook is another lite on traffic ride as long as its during the week.

Edited by Prince

On 20/11/2019 at 3:50 PM, Prince said:

Springbrook is another lite on traffic ride as long as its during the week.

This road? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gold+Coast+Springbrook+Rd,+Mudgeeraba+QLD+4213/@-28.1046093,153.301603,13.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b911dae620a3b4b:0x6bee1041d2fbf3bc!8m2!3d-28.0931416!4d153.3368925

I was planning on riding to Little Nerang Dam tomorrow morning...too risky along this road? 

Any recommended alternatives if so?