Sign in to follow this  
Greyman

2XU Victorian Tri series on again.

Vic triathletes should have seen something on your FB feed or an email today confirming dates for the series. Most race venues are back, just waiting on confirmation of 15 March 2020 location. Normally Portarlington but not confirmed yet. 

Well done to those who have scrambled to put this together, after it landed on the cutting room floor of the Fairfax events sale.

ps. I'm fronting up for my 34th year of doing races in this series. Who else is returning 

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well done @Greyman thats a hell of effort, and a shed loan of coin. The constant cancellations of swims is what kills me with this series. Something they cant control, but none the less a bloody expensive duathlon.

They should have some sort of recognition for that loyalty.

5 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

well done @Greyman thats a hell of effort, and a shed loan of coin. The constant cancellations of swims is what kills me with this series. Something they cant control, but none the less a bloody expensive duathlon.

I entered the series last year. Won’t be doing again this season. 

I missed 2 swims and one complete race being sick. 

Entry on a Thursday night for me. Hope still to do all series if swims happen. 

Enter by mid day Wednesday and save yourself the late fee. I went to entering race by race several years ago. Date clashes with other races meant the dollars saved with series entry were negated if you missed one or two races. 

Just don't bet your house on the naming rights deal paying up.

On 20/07/2019 at 12:31 PM, Lost in transition said:

Why the swim cancellations? All I can think of in Port Phillip Bay is water quality...

I'm glad the series is still alive, these got me in to triathlon 7 years ago.

Luck of the draw with the swim, heavy rains causes pollution in the bay.  I'm quite happy if the swim is cancelled, I don't want to swim in faeces/bacteria really.

Last year I only entered 1 due to focusing on ironman training.  This year with no ironman I'm looking forward to tackling a few.

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Why the swim cancellations? All I can think of in Port Phillip Bay is water quality...

Correct.

If the EPA rate the water quality as Poor, the swim is cancelled. Usually due to large amounts of rainfall in the 48 hours before the race

Cool - may be doing some short stuff now the Achilles is progressing.  

Dont forget the WSTC ones if you can get across that side of the bay

1 minute ago, symo said:

Dont forget the WSTC ones if you can get across that side of the bay

They are currently running a 4 x race Duathlon series with, I think, race 2 being part of the TriVic series. I went down for Race 1, lotsa fun.  Heading back for the rest of them if I can make it.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Correct.

If the EPA rate the water quality as Poor, the swim is cancelled. Usually due to large amounts of rainfall in the 48 hours before the race

Normally this is the case. Been three ocassions in the last 25 years when swim has been called off due to the discovery of a dead (and decaying) body in the water, early on race morning. 1 each at Sandringham, Elwood and St Kilda. All years apart and not related to the race. 

Pete you are correct regarding the Trivic duathlon series race / WSTC race number 2 in September. Going to be a big day. 

On 24/07/2019 at 7:09 PM, Greyman said:

Normally this is the case. Been three ocassions in the last 25 years when swim has been called off due to the discovery of a dead (and decaying) body in the water, early on race morning. 1 each at Sandringham, Elwood and St Kilda. All years apart and not related to the race. 

Pete you are correct regarding the Trivic duathlon series race / WSTC race number 2 in September. Going to be a big day. 

"Related to the race" - that would be taking pre-event rivalry a bit far....

6 hours ago, trifun said:

"Related to the race" - that would be taking pre-event rivalry a bit far....

Yeah it would. Comment made to indicate they weren't people who may have been warming up for the event and suffered a heart attack and died in the water, as has happened in the states a few times. 

I remember we had to delay the start of a WSTC triathlon once because of a large shark on the run course.

True story - Someone caught a shark and dumped it on the footpath where we hold the run leg so we had to get a few able bodied helpers to drag it away as it completely blocked the path! it was freak'n heavy!!

I have a photo of it.  Just can't find it.

And it was only about 1.5mtrs

Flake was on special at the fish and chip shop that week.