Katz

Challenge Roth 2020

That's why I'm giving up wine and ice-cream until race day  for a few months  the next 30 days until tonight.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

U know there is a hill on the course?

He told me it's only little and won't hurt a bit. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, humdrum said:

You practically get carried up.

Gee, I hope you're right!

Great race, great atmosphere. It’s a fast course but don’t fall into the trap of thinking it’s an easy course, especially bike. 

Didn't someone say Challenge to Ironman is like Hungry Jacks to McDonalds. Anyway... anyone know the history here as Roth used to be an Ironman branded race many years ago.

23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

How much is entry fee? 

17 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Didn't someone say Challenge to Ironman is like Hungry Jacks to McDonalds. Anyway... anyone know the history here as Roth used to be an Ironman branded race many years ago.

Personally, I prefer Hungry Jacks, cause you know, the burgers are better.

$950 including entry protection. Allows withdrawal right up to the day before.

Sold out in less than a minute.

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Been going since 1991 or something and was an IM up till 2011.

Been run by the same family the whole time who upon being shafted by IM wanted to keep it going. 

The experience here looks like it'd beat most other branded events and is backed up by most who've done it. 

The HJ vs maccas applies to where challenge have taken over a local race and used the same organizers that in some cases were probably on life support anyway..

26 minutes ago, pieman said:

Been going since 1991 or something and was an IM up till 2011.

Been run by the same family the whole time who upon being shafted by IM wanted to keep it going. 

The experience here looks like it'd beat most other branded events and is backed up by most who've done it. 

The HJ vs maccas applies to where challenge have taken over a local race and used the same organizers that in some cases were probably on life support anyway..

I don't know what the year was but it sure wasn't 2011

I have been there 3 times twice working, once working and racing. a couple of decent climbs on the bike 😋

35 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I don't know what the year was but it sure wasn't 2011

28 minutes ago, Katz said:

Wiki says 2001

What's a decade between friends...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fantastic, its a great race.That impressive getting two online entries, we just went with TriTravel.  As the others said its fast but the bike is not flat at all,  pretty much undulating the whole way with a couple of short sharp climbs. I'm a Perth girl too and training regularly in the hills around here was more than enough to be fit enough for the Roth bike.  Most importantly it is a fantastic excuse for a European vacation!!!

• Like 2

Apparently it's an easy course given the chatter on Twits.  Because when asked, not one of them had even done it or been to Germany.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lesmack said:

Fantastic, its a great race.That impressive getting two online entries, we just went with TriTravel.  As the others said its fast but the bike is not flat at all,  pretty much undulating the whole way with a couple of short sharp climbs. I'm a Perth girl too and training regularly in the hills around here was more than enough to be fit enough for the Roth bike.  Most importantly it is a fantastic excuse for a European vacation!!!

Trust me it was a close one. I got my offer of an entry on the spot. Stikman missed out at first but overnight got an email saying he was being offered one. Credit cards were promptly whipped out to secure them.

Riding in the hills is going to be much more of a regular thing than it has been to date. We live just where the hills start becoming hills so there is no excuse really. Other than it's easier to just roll down onto the flat. lol Time for me to toughen up. Glad to hear it was enough to get you around the course at Roth though. 

54 minutes ago, Peter said:

Apparently it's an easy course given the chatter on Twits.  Because when asked, not one of them had even done it or been to Germany.

Clearly experts then.

Edited by Katz

You will absolutely love the race, the atmosphere and the hills are not as bad as people make out, just pace accordingly. 

There are alot of people on the course and quite a bit of drafting.  the year I did it, I hadn't run for 2 months, not ridden a bike for about a month (had an ITB release done 5 weeks before the race.   Leading into the race I spent 4 days riding in the  Pyranees, followed by 3 days just resting and  playing tourist.  

I even did the race on my TCR, roadie, threw on some clip ons, and cannot believe the volume of people I passed.

No hiding on the run as there were crowds across the entire course with the exception of about 1.5km.

Enjoy, I can't rate it high enough.

Stephen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roth is the one race I would be tempted to disobey my life goal of never doing any race longer than an Olympic distance.  Thank goodness it sells out so quickly 😂

7 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Roth is the one race I would be tempted to disobey my life goal of never doing any race longer than an Olympic distance.  Thank goodness it sells out so quickly 😂

2021, it's on my radar, you want to come? 

I was a volunteer in 2000, and that was the last year of it being IM. 

150000 spectators on course, now propably even more. I know I'll go back one day...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AA7 said:

2021, it's on my radar, you want to come? 

Tempted, but will  settle for stalking you on the tracker 🤣

On 16/07/2019 at 9:16 PM, Katz said:

Personally, I prefer Hungry Jacks, cause you know, the burgers are better.

$950 including entry protection. Allows withdrawal right up to the day before.

Sold out in less than a minute.

Would LOVE to do this race one day, did you just sit by the computer with your speedy finger on the button to get in fast enough? 

30 minutes ago, emski said:

Would LOVE to do this race one day, did you just sit by the computer with your speedy finger on the button to get in fast enough? 

That's exactly how it happened. I had time blocked out in my calendar at work and strict instructions to everyone around me to stay away. I just sat and hit refresh over and over till the web form appeared. Had the email address cut and ready to be pasted from a word document. The rest of the information I figured could have been wrong or mistyped, but the email address was the most important. 

Stikman had essentially the same strategy but he missed out at first, and was offered a spot later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katz said:

That's exactly how it happened. I had time blocked out in my calendar at work and strict instructions to everyone around me to stay away. I just sat and hit refresh over and over till the web form appeared. Had the email address cut and ready to be pasted from a word document. The rest of the information I figured could have been wrong or mistyped, but the email address was the most important. 

Stikman had essentially the same strategy but he missed out at first, and was offered a spot later. 

That's awesome!!! Well done!