Sign in to follow this  
Chuckie M

I have done a Lionel Sanders

I had a bike crash 17 days ago. I broke my second pair of Rotor cranks. I snapped one clean off!. I was still sore around my coccyx region some 10 days later. Had a xray. Turns out I have a crack in my spine. I am having 6 weeks out. I have been swimming easy.  I will make Noosa tri this year..Anybody been watching Lionels videos lately with his recovery.? Funny stuff. 😁

Edited by Chuckie M
  • Sad 4

Don't fixate on Frodeno while your laid up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

How do you break a crank. Faulty.....or is this what carbon is coming too.

It's aluminium mate.🙄

Hope you get better. I did the same thing last year (10 YO bike). I was lucky as I was just starting and noticed it feeling funny before I took off fast (fast-ish then).

Hence - the new bike.

FM

10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

How do you break a crank. Faulty.....or is this what carbon is coming too.

Cranks, no matter waht material, do have life spans. 

Myself along with many of my firends have had the odd broken crank. Carbon/alloy - doesn't matter....they can break!

I just ripped off the 16 year old campy cranks from my road bike. I couldn't imagine them braking! So solid. Getting them off was so dang hard. I guess it happens though...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I just ripped off the 16 year old campy cranks from my road bike. I couldn't imagine them braking! So solid. Getting them off was so dang hard. I guess it happens though...

Older cranks like that probably have a lot longer lifespan. My 1985 Record Cranks are still going great (both sets) and being solid, will probably continue on.

Especially now they hardly get used.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I’ve always used a crank pulling tool, pretty easy with one of those. 

8 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Cranks, no matter waht material, do have life spans. 

Myself along with many of my firends have had the odd broken crank. Carbon/alloy - doesn't matter....they can break!

I now have the next excuse to purchase a new bike 

2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

I’ve always used a crank pulling tool, pretty easy with one of those. 

I did use one, after 16 years it needed more force than I expected!

15 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I did use one, after 16 years it needed more force than I expected!

Bigger shifter on it, that's all. ;)

21 hours ago, dazaau said:

Like you I've tried getting old cranks off which just about needed a gas axe to be removed. However, I've seen guys bust cranks from too many bunny hops over gutters on their commuting bikes. Never seen it on a race bike or Tri bike.

With a bit more down time than usual. I am watching and following the Tour more than ever..I am watching SBS highlights .Gcn 5 min summary show . And also Lance Armstrong The Move on YouTube. He is doing very well with George Hincappe. I haven't watched a huge amount of the live stages. 🤔

Edited by Chuckie M

This is his best video ever. so funny 😋

Edited by Chuckie M

1003491160_brokenRotorcrank2011.thumb.jpg.92ace32a86f4ad13b7d696afd17024d1.jpgAnd some 3 weeks later Rotor sent me a new crank without explaining why there product failed?. This is the 3rd crank in 8 years. The hollow tech design doesn't work. I did suggest a product recall ,they told me it is not going to happen and to go away. Time to move to SRM for a crank based PM.😕

I hope it works out for Lionel and He has not cooked himself?. 28k run and then 10k on the tread mill?, discuss😉