Flanman

TA Race Competition Rules

Interesting.

From table 1 in appendix E, am I reading it right that TA cannot sanction longer than IM distances?

4.4 A competitor cannot be accompanied by any non-competing athletes, team members, team managers or other pacemakers on the course or alongside the course. A competitor cannot be accompanied by any non-competing person in the finish chute (unless an exception has been issued by the use of a special rule approved by the sanctioning officer or Technical Delegate)

so does this mean coaches who come up and advise their athlete that they are six minutes clear of the opposition or they need to pick up their pace by x amount to catch someone else will results in a DQ? 

3 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

so does this mean coaches who come up and advise their athlete that they are six minutes clear of the opposition or they need to pick up their pace by x amount to catch someone else will results in a DQ? 

I suppose it does if they are travelling along with them. If they set themselves stationary to give advice, then that's would probably not be considered "accompanied". Then they shoot forward 2km, set up and yell again.

26 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

4.4 A competitor cannot be accompanied by any non-competing athletes, team members, team managers or other pacemakers on the course or alongside the course. A competitor cannot be accompanied by any non-competing person in the finish chute (unless an exception has been issued by the use of a special rule approved by the sanctioning officer or Technical Delegate)

No, I think it would refer to someone pacing them or travelling along beside them for a distance.

24 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

These are good rules. I’m excited by them.  

Good job TA. 

images (5).jpeg

• Haha 1

Remember when the sport was simple and fun! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Greyman said:

And the race rules were 2 paragraphs on the back of the photocopied entry form. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And the race rules were 2 paragraphs on the back of the photocopied entry form. :)

And in the early 80's for long course races, two of those rules would be for your "Handler" in transitions. 

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

And in the early 80's for long course races, two of those rules would be for your "Handler" in transitions. 

And..... you could bring your own milk crate to sit on!!

• Like 1

I actually found the penalties page interesting. 

Pretty much everything is a stop go other than drafting and blocking and abusing an official.  Giddyup

Like whats the point if you don't have a number of being forced to do a stop go? Dumb rule.  Stopping achieves nothing other than stopping a TO from actually busting someone from drafting or blocking.

So everyone out there wearing a smart watch, Garmin or similar. What do you make of the rule regarding distraction of the competitor using phone, headphones, smart watch or any other device that makes communication possible and distracts the competitor.

I track my wife running with her Apple Watch all the time. She usually calls me from her watch when running if needed. 

So you make a point. 

23 hours ago, Greyman said:

Like having a schooner at Tuncurry Pub at the 2km mark in the marathon and another at 23km. ...

2 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Like having a schooner at Tuncurry Pub at the 2km mark in the marathon and another at 23km. ...

I stopped at kfc in 2001 on lap one of the run. 2 pieces of chicken. Re entered the spot I left the course.  All good. 

On 09/07/2019 at 1:09 PM, AA7 said:

No, I think it would refer to someone pacing them or travelling along beside them for a distance.

So then they will still be on the run course on their bikes. Just not next to their athlete. They'll yell, then ride, then yell, repeat. As long as they don't go near the narrower parts, all good.

That zipper ruling better be policed, but the current ruling is not, not sure if I have ever seen a TO pull up someone on the run course for a zipper violation. Not sure if I have seen a TO on a run course at all.

35 minutes ago, MissJess said:

That zipper ruling better be policed, but the current ruling is not, not sure if I have ever seen a TO pull up someone on the run course for a zipper violation. Not sure if I have seen a TO on a run course at all.

Did you not here about "Zippergate" in Qld? Pretty sure there were a few pinged at the time.

Just had a thought, envisaging n "OD"  race with sponsorship from a wetsuit company designating their swim course as 1501m LOL

• Haha 1

tough luck to any >=100 year old competitors out there, apparently they are too old to participate.

and a grammar check for appendix F

"National Series Events - two other person who is either:"

try...

"National Series Events - two other people who are either a:"

etc

Edited by trifun
etc

Lastly this one annoys me as it amounts to a denial of the opportunity for natural justice:

d. A protest cannot be made on a judgement call by a Technical Official.

and don't bring up "stopping spurious protests", the $100 cash fee should manage that. In cases where and athlete has invested $1000's of 100s of hours to compete in an event having a poor judgement (eg "drafting" in the first 50 m leaving a U turn as competitors' order changes repeatedly as they reestablish their own personal pace after braking and cornering (yes should be a designated "green zone") ) call made that causes a loss of 5 min of race time ought to be appealable.

14 hours ago, Peter said:

I stopped at kfc in 2001 on lap one of the run. 2 pieces of chicken. Re entered the spot I left the course.  All good. 

Finger lick’n good

Reading appendix A - so are calf sleeves still out? (mentions each part of a one or two piece must be continuous) also, so I assume wetsuit top only is ok, but not bottom only?

Also, for those in the know, can the race director give a single competitor permission? We had someone race with wetsuit shorts only. I can understand fins in a wave of participants (such as try-a-tri). But not the former situation.

21 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Reading appendix A - so are calf sleeves still out? (mentions each part of a one or two piece must be continuous) also, so I assume wetsuit top only is ok, but not bottom only?

In Kurnell tri I did late last year, I was pulled up in transition area pre-race for wearing calf sleeves. Apparently I could only wear them if I was swimming in a wetsuit that covered them. I was tri-suit only so I couldn't wear them  but was given the option of putting them on after the swim.

15 hours ago, Peter said:

I stopped at Maccas at the end of the bike in 1998 at Forster. 8 weeks after a motorbike accident and still with stitches in my leg and crush injury to my lower leg, I hadn't expected to get far in the race. After surprising myself getting so far on the bike I was pretty hungry, so used my emergency money in the spare tubes bag on my bike, got a happy meal, ate it and cracked on with the race. It was a walking smorgasbord of jelly babies, power bars,coke and whatever else was on offer for the marathon walk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trifun said:

Lastly this one annoys me as it amounts to a denial of the opportunity for natural justice:

d. A protest cannot be made on a judgement call by a Technical Official.

and don't bring up "stopping spurious protests", the $100 cash fee should manage that. In cases where and athlete has invested $1000's of 100s of hours to compete in an event having a poor judgement (eg "drafting" in the first 50 m leaving a U turn as competitors' order changes repeatedly as they reestablish their own personal pace after braking and cornering (yes should be a designated "green zone") ) call made that causes a loss of 5 min of race time ought to be appealable.

You're confusing a Protest with an Appeal. 

2 hours ago, MissJess said:

Also, for those in the know, can the race director give a single competitor permission? We had someone race with wetsuit shorts only. I can understand fins in a wave of participants (such as try-a-tri). But not the former situation.

calf sleeves are OK.  Compression socks are not

3 hours ago, trifun said:

poor judgement (eg "drafting" in the first 50 m leaving a U turn as competitors' order changes repeatedly as they reestablish their own personal pace after braking and cornering (yes should be a designated "green zone") ) call made that causes a loss of 5 min of race time ought to be appealable.

this is specified in section 3.1.1. on drfating

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

I stopped at Maccas at the end of the bike in 1998 at Forster. 8 weeks after a motorbike accident and still with stitches in my leg and crush injury to my lower leg, I hadn't expected to get far in the race. After surprising myself getting so far on the bike I was pretty hungry, so used my emergency money in the spare tubes bag on my bike, got a happy meal, ate it and cracked on with the race. It was a walking smorgasbord of jelly babies, power bars,coke and whatever else was on offer for the marathon walk. 

Love it!

Outside assistance:- A mate of mine dropped into the Tuncurry Hotel and had a schooner on his last lap of the IMOZ run. A couple of locals bought it for him.

FM 

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Outside assistance:- A mate of mine dropped into the Tuncurry Hotel and had a schooner on his last lap of the IMOZ run. A couple of locals bought it for him.

FM 

Was that the German guy nick-named “schooner”? I thought he ran a tab so he didn’t need to worry about money on race day. 

guess the real question is, has anyone that has done an ironman, not smashed a beer during the race.  Suspect most people will have and never seen a TO nancy boy it and say dont do that as isnt drafting/blocking on the bike or urinating in the penalty box.

Can remember the big cock going into the goose at busso mid race and smashing down 5 beers, no money, all shouted... his marathon was slower then berkels win time.

ahern ran 2'46 or 2'48 at forster and smashed a beer in the process

On 12/07/2019 at 12:53 PM, Andrew #1 said:

Was that the German guy nick-named “schooner”? I thought he ran a tab so he didn’t need to worry about money on race day. 

No, Mat McFarlane. I just went to his 50th birthday party last weekend. Also caught up with Prenda for the first time in 10 or so years. Great night.

FM

• Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 1:57 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

guess the real question is, has anyone that has done an ironman, not smashed a beer during the race.  Suspect most people will have and never seen a TO nancy boy it and say dont do that as isnt drafting/blocking on the bike or urinating in the penalty box.

I've done it once - given a glass of wine about 500m out from the finish. :wine:

On 13/07/2019 at 1:57 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

Can remember the big cock going into the goose at busso mid race and smashing down 5 beers, no money, all shouted... his marathon was slower then berkels win time.

ahern ran 2'46 or 2'48 at forster and smashed a beer in the process

Haven't had a beer, have been yelled at by a TO at the 14.5 hour mark (with another 10km to go, IMMelb) that either I needed to stop, or the girl who was talking with me needed to F off, otherwise I would get done for outside assistance.

23 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

Haven't had a beer, have been yelled at by a TO at the 14.5 hour mark (with another 10km to go, IMMelb) that either I needed to stop, or the girl who was talking with me needed to F off, otherwise I would get done for outside assistance.

Unless you're 84 and going for the AG win, that's a pile of sh1t. I know what I would have told him back.

55 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Unless you're 84 and going for the AG win, that's a pile of sh1t. I know what I would have told him back.

Was tempted to give him a piece of my mind, yes.

Reality - for the vast majority of races, once it is dark, in my opinion, people getting paced is fine. And I have seen it a lot. (That same race, I was walking with one person (racing) and their friends (people who has already finished) were in a car, driving up the road next to us, yelling encouragement/abuse at us, for a good 10-15mins. - which was a bit different to my ex who lived near the course, was randomly out walking, saw me competing, was talked for maybe three sentences, exchanged a hug, got yelled at, she then rang my GF to find her and spend then next hour or so together catching up.)