Prince

Is this a good deal?

Hi everyone 

i was looking to buy a new bike even though I can’t quite afford it but my LBS has a ceevello p3 2018 ultegra r8000 model with d12 and is also throwing in either Sunny’s or helmet or shoes and pedals for $3900.  To me it seems pretty good and I have a old p3c 2008 model so it’s old   Should I get this even if I have to credit card some it ?

5 minutes ago, Prince said:

I have a old p3c 2008 model so it’s old

I hate to be the voice of reason here, but will the new bike be faster or nicer to ride? 

13 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I hate to be the voice of reason here, but will the new bike be faster or nicer to ride? 

Get outta here old man. Of course it will :P

n+1 

If it's a 56cm I'll have it if you don't :P

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Well. I actually put a deposit on an s works a about a month ago but changed my mind the day before I was going to pick it up. Thankfully I got my deposit back as I decided I didn’t  need it as I would rather train harder so bought a new fridge and bed instead.  But my bike is so old now so showing up to a race with it may embarrassing. 

48 minutes ago, Prince said:

Hi everyone 

i was looking to buy a new bike even though I can’t quite afford it but my LBS has a ceevello p3 2018 ultegra r8000 model with d12 and is also throwing in either Sunny’s or helmet or shoes and pedals for $3900.  To me it seems pretty good and I have a old p3c 2008 model so it’s old   Should I get this even if I have to credit card some it ?

If you're talking pedal heads isn't the 3900 version just ultegra?  The di2 is 5200?

I am waiting for the p2 to drop a bit lower so I can build one with my existing di2 etc..  saw one for 2000 the other day but didn't last long.. the p2 frame is identical

Yes.  Your right.  I should’ve looked closer as they have two adds running 

1 hour ago, Prince said:

Hi everyone 

If you want to buy it a handy idea is to pay for it all on your credit card, then apply for another credit card that offer interest free periods for balance transfers. ANZ have one with 15 months interest free, just a $60 annual fee 😉🙂

$3900 is a good price. 

I would hate to be the voice of reason here.... How many km has your old bike done?  Does it need a service, bar tape, cables, cluster, tyres, chain etc? If so deduct that cost from the $3900 

You have had the last bike for 10 years, so that's $390 a year, $7.50 a year or less than $3 a ride (assuming you ride three times a week)  

If you still can't get permission to purchase, tell your partner its safer because the brakes have improved dramatically. 

I have some other tricks up my sleeve for getting permission to purchase a new bike but the two should be plenty.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

$3900 is a good price. 

I would hate to be the voice of reason here.... How many km has your old bike done?  Does it need a service, bar tape, cables, cluster, tyres, chain etc? If so deduct that cost from the $3900 

You have had the last bike for 10 years, so that's $390 a year, $7.50 a year or less than $3 a ride (assuming you ride three times a week)  

If you still can't get permission to purchase, tell your partner its safer because the brakes have improved dramatically. 

I have some other tricks up my sleeve for getting permission to purchase a new bike but the two should be plenty.

I don’t have a partner to a answer to just the voice of reason and I already have some credit card debt but if it was the deal of the century I would find a way. Old bike is serviced regularly and I think I will make do and do my first half Ironman in many years before investing I guess.  

Yeah it’s a good deal. It’s always the question about how much you will gain, does this new bike allow you to get more comfortable, slippery etc etc. 

New bikes are the best though. I wish cervelo cleaned up the cables on these models though. The rear brake housing could be slicker. Centre pull like the trek madone please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince said:

I don’t have a partner to a answer to just the voice of reason and I already have some credit card debt but if it was the deal of the century I would find a way. Old bike is serviced regularly and I think I will make do and do my first half Ironman in many years before investing I guess.  

Riding a 10 year old bike I’m not surprised you are single...... 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Riding a 10 year old bike I’m not surprised you are single...... 

I'm surprised you are riding a 10 year old bike if you are single......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This!!! God if I was single I'd shudder to think of how bad my spending would be and it's bad enough as it is! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Prince said:

Well. I actually put a deposit on an s works a about a month ago but changed my mind the day before I was going to pick it up. Thankfully I got my deposit back as I decided I didn’t  need it as I would rather train harder so bought a new fridge and bed instead.  But my bike is so old now so showing up to a race with it may embarrassing. 

Don't be embarrassed about what you ride. Your legs are the engine room.

My current bike  -  a Polygon 900TT (time trial Bike) which they no longer make :( has just done its 10th Ironman. I only have one bike so I do all my training and racing on it. Bought in 2011. Where the seat goes into the frame it is actually broken (2013). I still ride it. If you see it in transition you will notice silver Gaffa tape around the seat post. This is because if the catchers re-rack the bike and hang in by the seat if till all come off etc.

Anyway.... I did Busso a few years back... The guys staying next to me thought it was funny that I rode a Polygon.... They said... they use them as there street bikes just for getting around. They did not think it was so funny when I went 5:04 on the bike and blew up for a 10:37.

The guys laughing all did 13-14 hours. Message... your legs are the engine room.

But despite that... get a new bike if you can afford it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You have credit card debt already, screw the bike, pay off your CC debt and ride your old bike.  Once the CC debt is gone save your pennies and get a new bike.  

Sorry for being the voice of reason...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lost in transition said:

Whoa. That is a great deal!

I have a P2C. This newer P2 is at least 1000 watts better 😂. Oh look, same shitty brake cables.

Yeah I agree but there are ways to tidy that up a bit especially if you combine with a better brakes and front end to hide everything.. that awful external battery must be worth -500 watts too..

Little Birdy says we might get a canyon special somewhat soon ;)

On 06/07/2019 at 5:58 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

My partner is actually encouraging me to get a new bike 😁

On 06/07/2019 at 5:58 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

On 06/07/2019 at 7:33 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Don't be embarrassed about what you ride. Your legs are the engine room.

My current bike  -  a Polygon 900TT (time trial Bike) which they no longer make :( has just done its 10th Ironman. I only have one bike so I do all my training and racing on it. Bought in 2011. Where the seat goes into the frame it is actually broken (2013). I still ride it. If you see it in transition you will notice silver Gaffa tape around the seat post. This is because if the catchers re-rack the bike and hang in by the seat if till all come off etc.

Anyway.... I did Busso a few years back... The guys staying next to me thought it was funny that I rode a Polygon.... They said... they use them as there street bikes just for getting around. They did not think it was so funny when I went 5:04 on the bike and blew up for a 10:37.

The guys laughing all did 13-14 hours. Message... your legs are the engine room.

But despite that... get a new bike if you can afford it.

This is the voice of reason 😉

5 hours ago, AP said:

Where the seat goes into the frame it is actually broken (2013). I still ride it. If you see it in transition you will notice silver Gaffa tape around the seat post. This is because if the catchers re-rack the bike and hang in by the seat if till all come off etc.

Interesting. The three two rides I have done on my TT (including Port 70.3 - 2019), the seat post has slid down an inch or two whilst riding. I thought is was just me being a fat-arse (maybe it is). I don't want to tighten it too much and snap the seatpost. So I am not sure if it's a problem with the bike, with me or both. Would a Cervelo stocklist/mechanic or any mechanic know ??

FM

If it is a cervelo post then this is a well known issue with various fixes including people cutting shims out of coke cans and putting them in the seat tube to hold the post. My fix was:

• using some carbon paste on the seat post
  • torquing both bolts down a little at a time until both tight (ie dont tighten one side to max and then the other)
  • Only tighten to the specified torque (which doesn't seem very tight). 
  • Like 1

Yeah, the seat post on my old 2008 Cervelo Soloist had a habit of slipping.  I used carbon paste & shims cut out of thin brass sheet.  The main problem was bolt & the metal wedge it screwed into, they would wear including the thread in the wedge.  Eventually I bought another seat post 2nd hand off Ebay and sold the thing.

Interestingly the seat post on my 2006 P3 has never slipped?  But it is an entirely different system which I've never really looked at because I've never had to.

• Like 1

Flanny give me a call tomorrow. It had the brass price in it when I gave it to you. It's probably inside the frame... I can get you the required coke can if needed. Also have a chat to you about the trainer (got your PM) 

23 hours ago, Flanman said:

Mine is a 2012 Cervelo P2.

Image result for 2012 cervelo p2

FM

Flanman, I have a 2011 and had the same problem. It slipped significantly twice in races Port Macquarie - no surprise really with the vibration. Also a number of times in training. (Quick fix by carrying an alien key) 

I know a lot of people had success with the shim, but it didn't work well for me. 

The design of the post clamp is floored. The problem actually lies with the fact that the clamp tightens against the frame before putting enough pressure on the rear of the post to hold it in place. 

You can tighten the bolts all you like, but all your doing is tightening the bolts in the frame and not adding pressure to the post and at the same time running the risk of damage to the frame. You could be tightening the bolts to 4-5Nm but could be only appllying 2Nm to the post. 

I found some info which suggested the following fix. I bit the bullet and tried it and the post has not slipped a mm since. I tighten using torque wrench to recommended 5Nm (or is it 4?, I am not near the bike to check) 

Take the clamp from the bike and have 1.5mm of material taken from the flat side of the clamp - as below. I used some.wet and dry paper on a flat surface. 

This extra space between the clamp and frame allows the 5Nm of bolt force to be applied to back of the post rather than the frame. 

(FYI I am still riding that bike at around 102kg and the post does not slip. When it was slipping I weighed 90kg)

Hope all that made sense. 

20190709_181552.jpg

Edited by JGF
  • Like 1

I have a 2015 P3 and that has one bolt in front of the post located on the top tube (pointing back of course).  I have never had an issue with this system at all. IIRC, the torque setting is 8nm.