AA7

Lausanne Bike Course

There's nothing over 1km long, and most are only very short pinches. Unless it's very technical I'd just go the TT.

I'm renting a roadie. I'm gonna have enough issues riding on the wrong side of the road :lol:

A lot of the lumps are pinchy and 8% or more, probably more suited to standing climbs. I've been testing out the course on rouvy.

23 minutes ago, MissJess said:

I've been testing out the course on rouvy.

Can you compare it to something I might know? I don't have rouvy (or know what rouvy is)

Virtual - maybe Zwift New York? 
Real world - parts of Port between Port itself and Flynns beach. The hill at Wollongong coming back into transition.

The hills are more the stand up kind rather than try to sit and climb. 

37 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Virtual - maybe Zwift New York? 
Real world - parts of Port between Port itself and Flynns beach. The hill at Wollongong coming back into transition.

The hills are more the stand up kind rather than try to sit and climb. 

Awesome thanks.  Know all but Wollongong. 

I'm not a stander as such (knee issue) but can if necessary.  

cheers!

6 hours ago, AA7 said:

OK bike gurus, I'm hopeless with course stuff, need some advice please. Lausanne Worlds bike course is a bit bumpy.

Roadie or TT?

https://www.strava.com/activities/2494549324

https://lausanne.triathlon.org/athletes_info/course_maps/

There isn't a triathlon bike course in the world that would be quicker on a road bike

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

There isn't a triathlon bike course in the world that would be quicker on a road bike

I think it depends on the rider.

I'll be using a Roadie (with clip-on tri-bars) for 70.3 Worlds in Nice due to the 30 odd kilometres of descending (a fair bit of it quite technical).  Descending on a roadie will not only be quicker (for me), but I will also be far more relaxed, so expend less energy.  Whereas a pro triathlete with far more experience (and ability) riding technical descents on their Triathlon bike would have a different bike choice.

Note that I would choose my Triathlon Bike for Lausanne.

As the resident Swiss Trannie (born and raised 20kms from Lausanne), here is my opinion:

I assume you're doing the age-group standard distance. There are only 3 climbs, they are quite short (400m+), two are not that steep (Vallee Jeunesse and Ouchy), the third one (Avenue des Bains) steeper but even shorter. Rest is FAST. So TT all the way.

Oh and I'll be 'home' (my parents' place) for the event (the whole month of August, flying back to Canberra on September 2), if anybody is after some free accomodation just down the road (25-30kms from the race course) in La Tour-de-Peilz (next to Vevey), let me know, I may be able to help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiaboloACT said:

As the resident Swiss Trannie (born and raised 20kms from Lausanne), here is my opinion:

I assume you're doing the age-group standard distance. There are only 3 climbs, they are quite short (400m+), two are not that steep (Vallee Jeunesse and Ouchy), the third one (Avenue des Bains) steeper but even shorter. Rest is FAST. So TT all the way.

Thank you, local knowledge is always best. TT it is then. That was my feeling, but a work buddy who is a cyclist was checking out the course on Strava and he put doubt in my mind.

18 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Thank you, local knowledge is always best. TT it is then. That was my feeling, but a work buddy who is a cyclist was checking out the course on Strava and he put doubt in my mind.

I think it just looks worse because of the scale they've used. There's only 70m altitude difference between the highest & lowest parts of the course.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I think it just looks worse because of the scale they've used. There's only 70m altitude difference between the highest & lowest parts of the course.

Reps up Cemetery Hill at Dutton Park and I'll be good to go I think.

Using Google street view where it's available and it doesn't look that bad. As ex said, the scale of the profile is deceiving. Not big climbs. 

Having said that, I'm on a roadie as one  one for draft legal Sprint and Standard. 

Had a go on Rouvy. 

Short and steep, standing will be needed for short pitches. 

Might start to bite on the second lap of Std after 2 laps in the sprint the day  before