Turts

Shark at Manly swim?

40 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Love it!  Ex your dam is magical. Youre very lucky

Looks like more of a pond than a dam. What’s it called so I can google it and have a proper look.

3 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Looks like more of a pond than a dam. What’s it called so I can google it and have a proper look.

Enoggera Dam. It's reasonable size, not massive though. It was Brisbane's first real water supply other than a spring in the city. It was built in the 1800's.

We just get in at the end of one reach, swim down toward the wall & hang a right. It's about 3km to the end of the dam & back.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Ex has previously posted some pics of his dam, maybe in the winter swim thread ? Its a pretty cool 'pond' & a couple of trannies, incl Cranky, have had a swim there. Sadly not me

On 06/07/2019 at 11:14 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

So its like Donald Trump says of the media, fakenews. 

Typical News Corp

Oh wait...

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Ex has previously posted some pics of his dam, maybe in the winter swim thread ? Its a pretty cool 'pond' & a couple of trannies, incl Cranky, have had a swim there. Sadly not me

Yeh that video makes it look a bit like a pond in a park, but it is big. Very popular spot in summer.

4 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Yeh that video makes it look a bit like a pond in a park, but it is big. Very popular spot in summer.

This is a 5+km swim, just as an out & back. The very far end goes up a narrow section about 50m of clear water between the waterlilies along the banks, but still plenty good for swimming.

image.thumb.png.ba8f1078095694d75b7653e74ff73c25.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This is a 5+km swim, just as an out & back. The very far end goes up a narrow section about 50m of clear water between the waterlilies along the banks, but still plenty good for swimming.

That's where the crocodiles hang and chill waiting for swimmers.

• Sad 1

Found it....Enoggera Dam. Looks quite eerie with all the lilys. That's from a Satelite view. Bet you its gorgeous on a sunny day from the ground etc.

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

That's where the crocodiles hang and chill waiting for swimmers.

We're hanging out for global warming, and the crocodiles moving south. Apparently there's been sightings 300km north of Brisbane already.

If I swim in a dam (summer only), this is our local 10mins drive from home, only about 600m long.  Can't swim, fish or paddle in there atm, due to low water levels they have closed it.  And they pulled a bloke out of it a few weeks ago, suicide by the looks. 

Used to be the town water supply, but now we have Malpas Dam up near Guyra - the 'drought-proof' dam - which has proven not to be as we are on Level 5 water restrictions.

Dum Dam.jpg

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

We're hanging out for global warming, and the crocodiles moving south. Apparently there's been sightings 300km north of Brisbane already.

Crocs have been infrequently sighted in Morton Bay in summer for decades. Typically after some storm and usually only small ones. They get removed and relocated or euthanised upon discovery. Saltwater Crocs typically can’t survive outside the tropics during winter months, but a small population was identified as living in the rivers and creeks of Fraser Island all year round about a decade ago (I don’t know but presume that they were moved on). 

Juvenile salties and freshwater crocs have been fished out of Narrabean lakes in Sydney during summer - presumably some escapees from an illegal collection. 

A 3 metre American Alligator disturbed a Xmas BBQ at a caravan park in Merimbula on the NSW Far south coast by walking through the middle of the circle of campers who were enjoying a communal gathering - also about a decade ago: again another escapee from an illegal reptile collection. 

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

A 3 metre American Alligator disturbed a Xmas BBQ at a caravan park in Merimbula on the NSW Far south coast by walking through the middle of the circle of campers who were enjoying a communal gathering - also about a decade ago: again another escapee from an illegal reptile collection. 

All sorts of weird shit happens down there, which is why we're going to Kianga for Xmas :ninja:

Bordering on Deliverance Country, but still ahead of Bendoc !

• Haha 1

Big tiger shark off Townsville a couple of days ago. I went out for a swim this morning. Life guards didn't say a thing😕

7 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

Big tiger shark off Townsville a couple of days ago. I went out for a swim this morning. Life guards didn't say a thing😕

The Magnetic Island Swim is on Sunday week. It was cancelled a couple years ago due to a croc in the area. I'd hate it to be cancelled again.