Sign in to follow this  
more

Quest for Kona

Its been done to death but I really enjoyed watching this series. Love how the Chinese go over the top when they do an event-Check out the set up for their 70.3! Awesome 

2 minutes ago, The Customer said:

What's so "over the top" about that. Seems pretty typical of an ironman set up in my vast experience.

Looked to me like a lot if not all of the set up was made especially for for the race. So over the top might be a stretch but looks good to me

Screenshot_20190629-075909_YouTube.jpg

What annoys me (because I choose to be annoyed) is that when people get medals...... ie: Olympics medals, Ironman finisher medals etc and they feel compelled to pretend to bite it for the camera's. What is with that!!!! So tacky!!!!

Edited by IronmanFoz

4 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

What annoys me (because I choose to be annoyed) is that when people get medals...... ie: Olympics medals, Ironman finisher medals etc and they feel compelled to pretend to bite it for the camera's. What is with that!!!! So tacky!!!!

I suppose the idea started with receiving a gold medal. Pretending to bite it to see if it really is gold. Then again, silver is very nearly as soft as gold, so plated silver will feel pretty much the same.

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

The thing that annoys me is when people at what is supposed to be a fitness-themed event pour alcohol all over each other like 2nd years at the UniBar. Even worse when it is an ITU event and they are marketing our sport to the world.

40 minutes ago, trifun said:

The thing that annoys me is when people at what is supposed to be a fitness-themed event pour alcohol all over each other like 2nd years at the UniBar. Even worse when it is an ITU event and they are marketing our sport to the world.

They never drink it in the itu. So maybe the athletes agree with you. Silent protest 

51 minutes ago, Peter said:

They never drink it in the itu. So maybe the athletes agree with you. Silent protest 

Jurgen Zack used to skull his in Germany.

A lot of the German races are sponsored by Erdinger Alkoholfrei (apologies for my German spelling). But it’s zero alcohol “beer” 

37 minutes ago, roxii said:

A lot of the German races are sponsored by Erdinger Alkoholfrei (apologies for my German spelling). But it’s zero alcohol “beer” 

that zero alcohol beer at the finish line at Cairns

Awesome clip is inspiring. 

My highlights, 

Making money bags by hand 

Waxing his feet

The M-Dot temp tattoo on his face

watching him pump the tyres & explain about tyre pressure 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

Awesome clip is inspiring. 

My highlights, 

Making money bags by hand 

Waxing his feet

The M-Dot temp tattoo on his face

watching him pump the tyres & explain about tyre pressure 

It's a series, I've got through about 5 of them so far and not one has come even close to qualifying.. 

41 minutes ago, more said:

It's a series, I've got through about 5 of them so far and not one has come even close to qualifying.. 

You should receive automatic qualifying for being able to watch them. I lasted 5 minutes.

Aren't people sick of the IM media model yet? Obviously not because they are banking cash.

I'm not sure how politically correct it is.... this guy sounds like he's from Hong Kong, not mainland China.

25 minutes ago, softy said:

You should receive automatic qualifying for being able to watch them. I lasted 5 minutes.

Aren't people sick of the IM media model yet? Obviously not because they are banking cash.

I'm not sure how politically correct it is.... this guy sounds like he's from Hong Kong, not mainland China.

Lol you old farts have been around it all for too long. I'm still luckily at the stage where I'm happy to watch any tri related content and tbh I dread the day that changes... 

The guy is from Malaysia. 

Dunno, triathlon seems weird in that people who have been in the sport for a while seem over it. Compared to a footy enthusiast for example who can never get enough footy related content? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Customer said:

I remember watching IM videos back in the day. Those were fun times.

On VHS too. 

My favourite race video ever was Nice 1991......... And my brother taped over it.

Doh.

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

On VHS too. 

My favourite race video ever was Nice 1991......... And my brother taped over it.

Doh.

SBS 11.30pm program...?

I remember the day when you would take your Kona DVDs on a first date - just to make sure your date understood what a great catch you were.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I thought they did that in the hope it was a chocolate medal like the chocolate money you can get

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Customer said:

I remember the day when you would take your Kona DVDs on a first date - just to make sure your date understood what a great catch you were.

You were probably on your own there!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Customer said:

I assume you just use youtube on your phone now? 

“Athletes can’t just sign up to compete*”

*Disclaimer: if athletes have enough money they can actually just sign up and compete.

• Haha 1

On 29/06/2019 at 5:11 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Jurgen Zack used to skull his in Germany.

Dirk Aschmoneit set the standard for German beer sculling when he won IMNZ in 1991, breaking the tape and immediately requesting "Sponsor's product!"

Unfortunately, I can't find any video of his finish and the subsequent interview. He was always entertaining when given a microphone.

3 hours ago, The Customer said:

If you have enough money, Ironman will create your own category and let you win it.

Yep my mate is racing in the CEO category again. Tipping he will struggling to finish in 13.5hrs & will probably get a spot for Kona.