Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
more

Quest for Kona

Recommended Posts

Its been done to death but I really enjoyed watching this series. Love how the Chinese go over the top when they do an event-Check out the set up for their 70.3! Awesome 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Customer said:

What's so "over the top" about that. Seems pretty typical of an ironman set up in my vast experience.

Looked to me like a lot if not all of the set up was made especially for for the race. So over the top might be a stretch but looks good to me

 

Screenshot_20190629-075909_YouTube.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What annoys me (because I choose to be annoyed) is that when people get medals...... ie: Olympics medals, Ironman finisher medals etc and they feel compelled to pretend to bite it for the camera's. What is with that!!!! So tacky!!!!

Edited by IronmanFoz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

What annoys me (because I choose to be annoyed) is that when people get medals...... ie: Olympics medals, Ironman finisher medals etc and they feel compelled to pretend to bite it for the camera's. What is with that!!!! So tacky!!!!

I suppose the idea started with receiving a gold medal. Pretending to bite it to see if it really is gold. Then again, silver is very nearly as soft as gold, so plated silver will feel pretty much the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

What annoys me (because I choose to be annoyed) is that when people get medals...... ie: Olympics medals, Ironman finisher medals etc and they feel compelled to pretend to bite it for the camera's. What is with that!!!! So tacky!!!!

The thing that annoys me is when people at what is supposed to be a fitness-themed event pour alcohol all over each other like 2nd years at the UniBar. Even worse when it is an ITU event and they are marketing our sport to the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, trifun said:

The thing that annoys me is when people at what is supposed to be a fitness-themed event pour alcohol all over each other like 2nd years at the UniBar. Even worse when it is an ITU event and they are marketing our sport to the world.

They never drink it in the itu. So maybe the athletes agree with you. Silent protest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Peter said:

They never drink it in the itu. So maybe the athletes agree with you. Silent protest 

Jurgen Zack used to skull his in Germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of the German races are sponsored by Erdinger Alkoholfrei (apologies for my German spelling). But it’s zero alcohol “beer” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, roxii said:

A lot of the German races are sponsored by Erdinger Alkoholfrei (apologies for my German spelling). But it’s zero alcohol “beer” 

that zero alcohol beer at the finish line at Cairns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome clip is inspiring. 

My highlights, 

Making money bags by hand 

Waxing his feet

The M-Dot temp tattoo on his face

watching him pump the tyres & explain about tyre pressure 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

Awesome clip is inspiring. 

My highlights, 

Making money bags by hand 

Waxing his feet

The M-Dot temp tattoo on his face

watching him pump the tyres & explain about tyre pressure 

It's a series, I've got through about 5 of them so far and not one has come even close to qualifying.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, more said:

It's a series, I've got through about 5 of them so far and not one has come even close to qualifying.. 

You should receive automatic qualifying for being able to watch them. I lasted 5 minutes.

Aren't people sick of the IM media model yet? Obviously not because they are banking cash.

I'm not sure how politically correct it is.... this guy sounds like he's from Hong Kong, not mainland China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, softy said:

You should receive automatic qualifying for being able to watch them. I lasted 5 minutes.

Aren't people sick of the IM media model yet? Obviously not because they are banking cash.

I'm not sure how politically correct it is.... this guy sounds like he's from Hong Kong, not mainland China.

Lol you old farts have been around it all for too long. I'm still luckily at the stage where I'm happy to watch any tri related content and tbh I dread the day that changes... 

The guy is from Malaysia. 

Dunno, triathlon seems weird in that people who have been in the sport for a while seem over it. Compared to a footy enthusiast for example who can never get enough footy related content? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Customer said:

I remember watching IM videos back in the day. Those were fun times.

On VHS too. 

My favourite race video ever was Nice 1991......... And my brother taped over it.

Doh.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

On VHS too. 

My favourite race video ever was Nice 1991......... And my brother taped over it.

Doh.

SBS 11.30pm program...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the day when you would take your Kona DVDs on a first date - just to make sure your date understood what a great catch you were.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

What annoys me (because I choose to be annoyed) is that when people get medals...... ie: Olympics medals, Ironman finisher medals etc and they feel compelled to pretend to bite it for the camera's. What is with that!!!! So tacky!!!!

I thought they did that in the hope it was a chocolate medal like the chocolate money you can get

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Customer said:

I remember the day when you would take your Kona DVDs on a first date - just to make sure your date understood what a great catch you were.

You were probably on your own there!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Customer said:

I remember the day when you would take your Kona DVDs on a first date - just to make sure your date understood what a great catch you were.

I assume you just use youtube on your phone now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Athletes can’t just sign up to compete*”

 

*Disclaimer: if athletes have enough money they can actually just sign up and compete.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/06/2019 at 5:11 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Jurgen Zack used to skull his in Germany.

Dirk Aschmoneit set the standard for German beer sculling when he won IMNZ in 1991, breaking the tape and immediately requesting "Sponsor's product!"

Unfortunately, I can't find any video of his finish and the subsequent interview. He was always entertaining when given a microphone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Customer said:

If you have enough money, Ironman will create your own category and let you win it.

Yep my mate is racing in the CEO category again. Tipping he will struggling to finish in 13.5hrs & will probably get a spot for Kona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...