Turts

Ironman World Champs title sponsor "Plant Based Vega"

4 minutes ago, FatPom said:

AP just developed a tick :lol:

Maybe thats the real reason for not going?   🥦

"plant-based sport nutrition". 

Well, during a race most folks reply on sugar - which comes from a variety of plants.  No tmany folks uck into a steak at the 23km aid station. Nuts, bread, other carbs, coke.  All plant based. 

As recovery fuel, it is obviously going to differ from normal dairy protein sources.  But really, does "plant-based" technically exclude all animal products? 

Maybe it's just mostly plant.  Or contains plant. 

52 minutes ago, Turts said:

Well, during a race most folks reply on sugar - which comes from a variety of plants.  No tmany folks uck into a steak at the 23km aid station. Nuts, bread, other carbs, coke.  All plant based. 

As recovery fuel, it is obviously going to differ from normal dairy protein sources.  But really, does "plant-based" technically exclude all animal products? 

Not sure, seems like a minefield. A cow eats grass, so.....:whistling:

Great plant based nutrition 

high fructose corn syrup and soy

brought to you by the USA farm subsidies 

• Like 1

New competition at Kona this year. "How vegan are you?  

How good would it be this year, to have a sausage sizzle stand going somewhere near the finish line. All those pretend vegans would be found out straight away, lol.

Gonna be f$&ked year for spot prizes. 

Do you eat meat for the taste or for the nutrients ? If the food tasted like meat then would you change to a vegan based food ? I am not sure. I have changed from rice to cauliflower rice as well as from spaghetti to zucchini spaghetti. Hardly any difference and better for insulin responses.

Mmmmmm….. Am I starting to go to the dark side ?

FM

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

So far you are replacing plant with plant, so we'll still talk to you. When I hear you mention Vegan Bacon, that's when we start the intervention. :)

But seriously, if you are doing it on "principle" then replacing meat with soy products isn't the most environmentally responsible thing you can do.

4 hours ago, Flanman said:

Do you eat meat for the taste or for the nutrients ? If the food tasted like meat then would you change to a vegan based food ? I am not sure. I have changed from rice to cauliflower rice as well as from spaghetti to zucchini spaghetti. Hardly any difference and better for insulin responses.

FM

nah you are still OK, we only have cauli rice and zoodles for the last few years.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2019 at 6:11 PM, FatPom said:

Not sure, seems like a minefield. A cow eats grass, so.....:whistling:

I'm a second hand vegetarian 

4 hours ago, Prince said:

Carrots at the aid stations ?

Don't knock 'em, my nutrition for longer rides is water, a banana & a carrot as a backup.

Carrots travel well, can be eaten with one hand, can be eaten over time with little loss or mess, can be fully consumed (no rubbish) plus don't cost much so you can just toss them in the compost if uneaten post 4hours ride in the back pocket in the sun.

It’s no biggie. You bring your own shit to races anyway. It’s a bonus if your nutrition is the course stuff, but it doesn’t matter.

If there is Carrots at aid stations, someone better bring the hummus. 

• Thanks 1

Can we get Barry VoeVoe back with choc chip cookies pls (plus the endless supply of souvenir water bottles - hey RS)

On 27/06/2019 at 3:19 PM, Turts said:

Well, during a race most folks reply on sugar - which comes from a variety of plants.  Not many folks tuck into a steak at the 23km aid station. Nuts, bread, other carbs, coke.  All plant based. 

They say on their website their products are vegan-certified (whatever that means). If vegan, definitely no animal products.

2 hours ago, Katz said:

They say on their website their products are vegan-certified (whatever that means). If vegan, definitely no animal products.

Surely if it's vegan-certified, it won't just say it on the website, rather it would be mentioned at every possible opportunity.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Surely if it's vegan-certified, it won't just say it on the website, rather it would be mentioned at every possible opportunity.

Could you just imagine it. Vegan and Ironman.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Could you just imagine it. Vegan and Ironman.

I don't have to imagine it. I know a couple.

6 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I don't have to imagine it. I know a couple.

No wonder you come on here. It's the only chance you get to say anything.

• Haha 2