AA7

Ironman Frankfurt

Predicted temps of about 40 deg for race day this weekend. Ouch.

Lange v Frodeno v Kienle

Looking forward to following this one.

14 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Predicted temps of about 40 deg for race day this weekend. Ouch.

Lange v Frodeno v Kienle

Looking forward to following this one.

haha, I just read that on the same facebook page.   Wowzers. 

Wonder if IM will put in any risk management like shorten the course? 

1 minute ago, Turts said:

That's going to open a can of worms. Isn't Kona normally 45 degrees, 200% humidity with 90km/hr winds & they haven't shortned it.

Just now, Bored@work said:

That's going to open a can of worms. Isn't Kona normally 45 degrees, 200% humidity with 90km/hr winds & they haven't shortned it.

True. 

Does IM have a heat policy maybe?  I mean there's one for cold water - even for races known to be in cold water. 

Would there be a difference in how they manage between an expected hot race (such as Kona, in a hot climate), and a hot race based on a ridiculously out of the normal heat wave? 

Just asking.  

11 minutes ago, Turts said:

True. 

Does IM have a heat policy maybe?  I mean there's one for cold water - even for races known to be in cold water. 

Would there be a difference in how they manage between an expected hot race (such as Kona, in a hot climate), and a hot race based on a ridiculously out of the normal heat wave? 

Just asking.  

I don't think they did but they might now.

I raced

Shepparton half in 40+

Malaysia in 40+

Lake Tahoe with snow on race morning. (they allowed a clothes drop to family up to 50km on the bike)

Imagine racing 12+ Ironman to get a legacy spot to Kona & they then cut the course short..............

Frankfurt has been mid to high 30s plenty of times previously. Will still be run as normal.

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Shepparton half in 40+

same

i think there's been a few shortened in the past when the temp is over 100F, which is < 40.

But if they're used to the warm conditions, thats good. 

5 hours ago, Turts said:

haha, I just read that on the same facebook page.   Wowzers. 

Why would they. I don’t see why they would even consider it. Cold...maybe....heat no.

it would have to be above 50 degrees.

I did the first Ironman China in 2008 and it was 44 degrees on bike and run.

it was carnage on the run but, not undoable.

12 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Why would they. I don’t see why they would even consider it. Cold...maybe....heat no.

it would have to be above 50 degrees.

I did the first Ironman China in 2008 and it was 44 degrees on bike and run.

it was carnage on the run but, not undoable.

17 hours ago, Turts said:

True. 

Just asking.  

You would think there would be some kind of policy for a hot race? i think the danger is, you have a lot of people unprepared and undertrained for an Ironman, out of shape, some in average health. They are going to battle in optimum conditions, so with extreme heat there are going to be some problems. Luckily for most they know when to quit, before the sh!t hits the fan. A mate who was a volunteer for IMWA 2017, described T2 as "utter carnage"! Temps were hot 39C, but low humidity.  So not too crazy. DNF rate was very high. 20%. The thing is we go a bit too crazy with risk management, especially with the swim. Triathlon is a tough sport and we kind of need to accept some level of risk. 

3 minutes ago, zed said:

You would think there would be some kind of policy for a hot race? i think the danger is, you have a lot of people unprepared and undertrained for an Ironman, out of shape, some in average health. They are going to battle in optimum conditions, so with extreme heat there are going to be some problems. Luckily for most they know when to quit, before the sh!t hits the fan. A mate who was a volunteer for IMWA 2017, described T2 as "utter carnage"! Temps were hot 39C, but low humidity.  So not too crazy. DNF rate was very high. 20%. The thing is we go a bit too crazy with risk management, especially with the swim. Triathlon is a tough sport and we kind of need to accept some level of risk. 

There is your problem right there...

Ironman does not have a environmental policy for heat.  

Neither does triathlon Australia. TA does have recommendations and suggestions.  But no such policy. 

I don't think any course should be changed, the event should be run as planned (hurricane's aside).  Individuals need to make the decision that is appropriate for them.  I hate how a swim can be altered depending on the , every athlete needs to make their own decision.  I'm happy for the swim to proceed and for those that want to just do the ride / run, they can join the race at any point and their swim time is just set at the "cut off time".  

Having sailed in Sydney to Hobart yacht races, its up to the skipper / crew to determine whether they pull out, the race goes on.

my 2 cents worth.

Stephen

Frodo just had a spectacular save after going off course on a bend.

Note to self : if ever I’m in the running for a Kona slot then I’d make sure I had all the gear to change a flat and knew how to do it as well.....  maybe in my next life 😂

7 minutes ago, Willywonka said:

Respect to Lange for changing a flat and continuing to race.

Gotta validate somewhere. 

27 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Note to self : if ever I’m in the running for a Kona slot then I’d make sure I had all the gear to change a flat and knew how to do it as well.....  maybe in my next life 😂

Unbelievable she's only racing with a can of pitstop...

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Frodo just had a spectacular save after going off course on a bend.

Its great Vision. Lost all his nutrition in the scrub. 

1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

Who screwed up. 

Edited by Peter

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Its great Vision. Lost all his nutrition in the scrub. 

Who screwed up. 

Kimberly Morrison. Flat. No spare. Just a can of pitstop which pissed out everywhere confusing her.

Lange flatted and took 9 mins to change his. Think he had tubeless, ended up putting a tube in it.

9 minutes ago, zed said:

Lange flatted and took 9 mins to change his. Think he had tubeless, ended up putting a tube in it.

That seems like a long time for a pro? Or the type he runs (tubeless?) is normal? 

Unbelievable @SebastianKienle glass in your foot and have it taken out in T2 and start running #IMFrankfurt

• Thanks 1

Sebbie is doing fantastic for a guy with glass in his foot. 30 secs down 6km into the run. Frodo got all that time whilst Sebbie was with medics. Check out Imogen Simmonds TT position. Its draw dropingly beautiful

18 minutes ago, Lost in transition said:

Sebbie is doing fantastic for a guy with glass in his foot. 

Ouch 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Was that Jan checking up on kienle?

Yep, Seb running him down. Unreal run form

*edit - Yes before he run out of the tent, he made sure seb was ok. Classy classy guy that Jan

Edited by Lost in transition

6 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Yeah. That’s great class to wait for him.  

16 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Yeah, seems a bit of camaraderie. The cynic in me though would say he was checking to see how hard he'd have to run though, with a 10min buffer to the next guy off the bike. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Wow, Sarah True collapsed when in the lead with 1km to go. Awful to watch. She got the wobbles and was stumbling all over the course.

Argh, feel sorry for True. She didn't have a great race at Cairns and now this. Looking like she wont qual for Kona now....unless she can turn it around and find somewhere else to race?

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Wow, Sarah True collapsed when in the lead with 1km to go. Awful to watch. She got the wobbles and was stumbling all over the course.

She didn’t even know she needed a drink at that last drink stop. Just went right by and then passed out.  

Wow. 

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

She didn’t even know she needed a drink at that last drink stop. Just went right by and then passed out.  

Wow. 

She has said she doesn't really remember the last 5km or so. 

that was awful to watch.  I just kept thinking.  Walk !  you have enough time up your sleeve.  How far did she get in the Cairns race before collapsing? 

40 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Who said Jan was done? 

He just doesn't want it enough, obviously. 

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

If that AG competitor hadn't grabbed her & stopped her progress she still may have stumbled in for a win?

yeah possibly.

1 minute ago, zed said:

yeah possibly.

Yeh, we'll never know. But that stumbling was getting pretty bad.

Apparently she recovered pretty quickly, was up and about in the athlete lounge later on.