oldave

Hip replacement

I'm going to have hip replacement surgery next Thursday and most of the docs I've spoken to do not recommend running afterwards. I don't like the idea of not being able to run again as I love running (and triathlon), been doing it most of my life (I'm 65). Anyone had the surgery and still runs? The main argument against running seems to be that I'll wear out the replacement prematurely and need another  op. That doesn't worry me.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, oldave said:

I'm going to have hip replacement surgery next Thursday and most of the docs I've spoken to do not recommend running afterwards. I don't like the idea of not being able to run again as I love running (and triathlon), been doing it most of my life (I'm 65). Anyone had the surgery and still runs? The main argument against running seems to be that I'll wear out the replacement prematurely and need another  op. That doesn't worry me.

Time to give up sadly. Best option for a new sport is ocean swimming. Lots of tours in the pacific etc. 

Need to think about what your hip will be like in 10, 15, 20 years time.

PS. No reason not to continue to be involved in the sport.

A mate from Warringah had to finally give it away after about 28Kona’s. He swims heaps....still rides....And volunteers at Ironman Oz and Kona each year.... as does his wife who has done it for many years.

It maybe just a different/new adventure.

Hope everything goes well for you.

• Like 1

Lotsa fast walking like me.  Not that I've had any replacements, just trying to prolong the need for a knee one.  When I actually get to an event, I plan on 2/1 run walking it.  But no running at all prior.

If you desperately wanna find articles etc that support running after replacements, then you will.  They're out there.  Just as there's evidence supporting antivacers.  Or against climate change.

Good luck with it.  Regardless of the running thing, I've read some people that say getting rid of the pain and discomfort they were suffering was life changing.

• Like 1

I haven't had one, but need one. 

I have been categorically told they are not for running on, certainly not what we would call running anyway.

Maybe what the average Joe calls running is OK, ie running for the bus or running after the dog etc. but not long term constant running. 

Yep it sucks, yes its hard to get your head around, yes I miss it but the alternative isn't great either. 

• Like 1

I found an article a little while ago about the benefits of running post hip and knee replacements, including reports of how it was actually helping the implants last longer.

Pretty sure I can find an article proving Noah's Ark is real.  There's pretty much something out there to support any point of view you want.

Edit to add: I do not endorse running after hip and knee replacements.  I do endorse following the medical advice given to you.

I’ve worked as a porter in an orthopaedic ward at a rehab hospital and have seen plenty of patients with hip replacements. My understanding is that each orthopaedic surgeon has their preferred method of operating (posterior or anterior) but I think the quickest recovery was from anterior as it’s less invasive.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Edit to add: I do not endorse running after hip and knee replacements.  I do endorse following the medical advice given to you.

As above from goughy

https://www.arthritis-health.com/surgery/hip-surgery/anterior-vs-posterior-hip-replacement-surgeries

And after what I just saw on the news make sure they do the correct hip.😳

Edited by fiftyplus

I think most hips today are porcelain. Have you ever dropped a cup. Probably why they wont last long under the duress of running.

14 hours ago, oldave said:

Can you run on it now?  If so, why does it need to be replaced?  Or is it just getting really sore to run on?

A mate just dropped into my office & said his Mrs is getting hers done next week as the pain is very bad.  She is not a runner, but very fit an healthy (well for a vego - she looks like death, but is extremely lean = too lean IMO, into naturopath stuff, does gym, yoga, stretching etc).  Would not think she was the type of person who needs a hip replacement, but there you go.

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Can you run on it now?  If so, why does it need to be replaced?  Or is it just getting really sore to run on?

A mate just dropped into my office & said his Mrs is getting hers done next week as the pain is very bad.  She is not a runner, but very fit an healthy (well for a vego - she looks like death, but is extremely lean = too lean IMO, into naturopath stuff, does gym, yoga, stretching etc).  Would not think she was the type of person who needs a hip replacement, but there you go.

Maybe the vego thing caught up with her and she has weak bones.

Edited by trinube
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, trinube said:

Maybe the vego thing caught up with her and she has weak bones.

Good chance I reckon mate.  She says it is genetics but I'm not so sure having seen what becoming a vego did to her over the decades.  She went from a very fit looking aerobics instructor, to a scarecrow!

Total hips last a lot longer than traditional lore used to suggest. Back 30 years ago they lasted 10 years, now less than 5% need re-op at 15 years and surgeons are happy to replace hips much earlier as they have 20 year data on components showing they last that long.

young surgeons are training in anterior or superior/lateral approaches, implants are the same but the way you get it in makes a big difference to recovery, anterior and lateral doesn’t cut through your glutes and hip ligaments, no risk of dislocation and no restriction on sitting, bending the hip or crossing legs etc. My Mum has had one posterior, one super-path and the recovery was a world apart. She was back on her farm, driving and gardening etc at 6 weeks after her 2nd one. 

Regarding running there are very very few surgeons who would be happy for you to run. A paper which surveyed all arthroplasty surgeons in the states found golf, social doubles tennis and skiing were the most strenuous exercise choices widely suggested.

Birmingham Hip Resurfacing is an option for younger males who want to try to keep running. Tranny Slowman did Busso on one. They are metal on metal and need follow up testing to see if you have metal ions breaking down 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Customer said:

Andy Murray is doing ok

If i stood to win a lazy million or two I'd ignore the medicos and run on mine too! 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2019 at 9:20 PM, oldave said:

So how are you after the surgery?  I hope it went well & youre recoving at a good pace

• Like 3

Yeah mate I’m interested in your recovery.

Im booked in for 10th October for one of these puppies 

05EEDEF5-CF74-473F-B41A-5390BDD09223.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Looks impressive!

Never owned a titanium bike so a hip will have to do. Think it’s got ceramic bearings though. 

:lol: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Where are you having it done?

Good luck! 😷

Kareena. 

Bit nervous as apart from getting the snip haven’t had any serious medical work done and never stayed in hospital. 

Im such a wuss 

5 hours ago, roxii said:

05EEDEF5-CF74-473F-B41A-5390BDD09223.jpeg

I know that in the past you've taken it upon yourself to test drive a few products on this site, running & bike shoes etc, but this is taking it to a whole new level...  :o.

Good luck mate, it's amazing what they can do now days! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nealo said:

Where are you having it done?

Good luck! 😷

I'm tipping top of the leg / bottom of the trunk general location............😉

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, roxii said:

Never owned a titanium bike so a hip will have to do. Think it’s got ceramic bearings though. 

:lol: 

Baum ? 😁

Good luck mate.

On 27/08/2019 at 6:25 PM, roxii said:

Hi Roxie, Eight weeks since the op and going very well. Had it a public hospital, the quality of everything was 100%. The second day was a challenge; the first 24 I was still under the effects of the anaesthetic but after that I felt really low, pain was kept mostly at bay by the short term opioids. Out of hospital after 3 days. Pain and stiffness was my companion for the next few weeks but I've gradually returned to full mobility, no pain meds except Targin and slowly reducing from that. Now I don't know what I was whinging about.

Re triathlons I've signed up to do a small team one at Bribie, I'll do the swim and bike and a mate will do the run. I just couldn't accept that I'd never do one again, training for a race keeps me sane.

Any questions just holler.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, oldave said:

Hi Roxie, Eight weeks since the op and going very well. Had it a public hospital, the quality of everything was 100%. The second day was a challenge; the first 24 I was still under the effects of the anaesthetic but after that I felt really low, pain was kept mostly at bay by the short term opioids. Out of hospital after 3 days. Pain and stiffness was my companion for the next few weeks but I've gradually returned to full mobility, no pain meds except Targin and slowly reducing from that. Now I don't know what I was whinging about.

Re triathlons I've signed up to do a small team one at Bribie, I'll do the swim and bike and a mate will do the run. I just couldn't accept that I'd never do one again, training for a race keeps me sane.

Any questions just holler.

Thanks mate, good luck with the rest of the recovery....and the training. 

• Like 1

Ok so thanks for the good wishes guys. 
Morning the day after and things seem to be ticking along well. Yesterday was I was at hospital at 6.30 but didn’t end up going in till about 10. That was a nervous old wait. 
Then when in the anaesthetic bay getting prepped (and a catheter inserted 😲)
This bay is just outside the operation theatre so while still awake I hear the power tools start up next door. Definitely not good for the nerves. 
Eventually rolled into the OR and then that was it till I was woken in post op. Epidural meant no feeling at all below the ribs so was comfortable at least. 
This is what is in there: 571E229D-B26F-4921-A03E-FA57B504CB3A.jpeg

I’ll try and get a photo of the scar without mooning you. 
Nurses have been wonderful, food has been great so far. 
Last night was a bit of hard work as they woke me every two hours for checks. 
This morning the epidural was removed so just in oral meds now. The catheter was removed 😲😲😲 and after my brekkie the Physio will have me up and about. 
All being well after that I’ll be able to shower and feel semi human again. 
At the moment the hip just feels like I have had a massive “cork” , but will see what changes when I try and get upright. 
Hope you don’t mind me updating, I have a bit of time on my hands :lol: 

• Like 6

Good to hear all went well Roxii and you are on the mend.

Appreciate the updates, but next time anything to do with Catheter's and your lad, lets just keep that to yourself.

We don't need those kind of mental images ;)

• Haha 1

At least I heard no giggling from the  nurses when the sheets were peeled back 

I’ll take that as approval :lol: 

• Haha 2

Good stuff Roxii. Are they making you wear those horrible air compression boots?  I hate those things.

Yeah mate, they were ok yesterday cause I couldn’t feel my legs at all, but as the feeling come back yeah they got annoying. 
I’ll be the ultimate triathlete tomorrow, watching Kona in compression socks. :lol: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, roxii said:

This morning the epidural was removed so just in oral meds now. The catheter was removed 😲😲😲 and after my brekkie the Physio will have me up and about. 

Good stuff mate. I deliberately didn't mention the catheter removal when we chatted yesterday - not the most pleasant experience in the world...

1 minute ago, trinube said:

Good stuff mate. I deliberately didn't mention the catheter removal when we chatted yesterday - not the most pleasant experience in the world...

It's not but trust me, it's much better to have one put in whilst you're under.  My last three ops, I've gotten away without one but I also make sure I only have Panadol as a pain killer. Anything else just stops me from peeing and you know what that means....!

17 minutes ago, FatPom said:

It's not but trust me, it's much better to have one put in whilst you're under.

Oh yeah, I've had two and was fortunate to have them put in while I was under. I can't stand the thought of having it done while awake, yewwww!

Good news so far. Fantastic. Catheter going in feels weird. Going out.....well that’s  another story. 

FM

PS: sponge bath ???

• Haha 1

Nice work Roxii, updates are welcome. We can soon start a thread on ' tough scars & hardware' ☺

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, nealo said:

Great to hear things went well Roxii, good luck with the recovery.

Give your Mrs a hug for me and tell her nurses are awesome. 

• Like 2

Hope the recovery goes well.

Funny enough, just came across this article in my Flipboard feed......... Somehow thought of this thread

Man Had 3-Inch Tweezers Stuck In Urethra For 4 Long Years

http://flip.it/Hr5OS8

Good to hear you are home Roxii.  Yeah moving in bed can be a nightmare, either you do it without thinking, which hurts like crazy, or you get desperate for 'any other position than this one'.

No doubt the nurses told you what to do but a technique I still use now, due to the stiff back, is to bend my elbow and shove under my torso area before rolling over.  It forms a kind of 'bridge' and take the strain off the hips and back when moving. It's kind of like half a log roll for getting out of bed.

I find it helps a lot.  Also,  something tied to the side of the bed can help with getting up. (I use a short piece of physio band).

Edited by FatPom

Thanks mate, hard part is that I’m not allowed to move in my sleep. Lying on the operated hip is too painful and lying in the other side leaves the operated hip unsupported and it can “pop out” as nothing actually holds it in place till the muscles all heal around it. 
the pain is interesting, it’s like the worst corked hip you have ever had but over every square inch of the leg from below the knee to half way round the butt in the good side. 

Probably easy to see how Mericans get hooked on heavy prescription pain killers!  Most of the time my wife has only been Panadol and Nurofen after surgeries, even her C sections.  

Roxii try sleeping with a pillow between your legs.

This was how i was told to do it after my hip dislocation, it reduced the risk of the hip popping out if you moved wrong.

29 minutes ago, goughy said:

Probably easy to see how Mericans get hooked on heavy prescription pain killers!  Most of the time my wife has only been Panadol and Nurofen after surgeries, even her C sections.  

That's all I have now after any operation, even one that lasted 9hrs.  I find morphine, codiene, prednesol et al just messes with my head and stomach. I can't tell which way is up and can't go to the toilet either.  Pain is preferable.

Bit of an update; about 4 months out from the op and other than the scar I wouldn't know i had a hip replacement, full mobility ( haven't tried running and not about to) . I've been gradually reducing the Targin over the past few months and about to drop off completely. A few aches and pains with that, I can understand why heroin addicts find it so hard to quit. Bowels are better for it as well. 

• Like 5

Good to hear all is ok so far.  Are you ever going to be allowed to run? My dad had a full knee replacement a couple years ago and although he’s not a runner the doctor Said the new knee is better than what he was born with and if he were a runner they would have no issue in allowing him to run.