oldave

Hip replacement

I'm going to have hip replacement surgery next Thursday and most of the docs I've spoken to do not recommend running afterwards. I don't like the idea of not being able to run again as I love running (and triathlon), been doing it most of my life (I'm 65). Anyone had the surgery and still runs? The main argument against running seems to be that I'll wear out the replacement prematurely and need another  op. That doesn't worry me.

47 minutes ago, oldave said:

I'm going to have hip replacement surgery next Thursday and most of the docs I've spoken to do not recommend running afterwards. I don't like the idea of not being able to run again as I love running (and triathlon), been doing it most of my life (I'm 65). Anyone had the surgery and still runs? The main argument against running seems to be that I'll wear out the replacement prematurely and need another  op. That doesn't worry me.

Time to give up sadly. Best option for a new sport is ocean swimming. Lots of tours in the pacific etc. 

Need to think about what your hip will be like in 10, 15, 20 years time.

PS. No reason not to continue to be involved in the sport.

A mate from Warringah had to finally give it away after about 28Kona’s. He swims heaps....still rides....And volunteers at Ironman Oz and Kona each year.... as does his wife who has done it for many years.

It maybe just a different/new adventure.

Hope everything goes well for you.

• Like 1

Lotsa fast walking like me.  Not that I've had any replacements, just trying to prolong the need for a knee one.  When I actually get to an event, I plan on 2/1 run walking it.  But no running at all prior.

If you desperately wanna find articles etc that support running after replacements, then you will.  They're out there.  Just as there's evidence supporting antivacers.  Or against climate change.

Good luck with it.  Regardless of the running thing, I've read some people that say getting rid of the pain and discomfort they were suffering was life changing.

• Like 1

I haven't had one, but need one. 

I have been categorically told they are not for running on, certainly not what we would call running anyway.

Maybe what the average Joe calls running is OK, ie running for the bus or running after the dog etc. but not long term constant running. 

Yep it sucks, yes its hard to get your head around, yes I miss it but the alternative isn't great either. 

• Like 1

I found an article a little while ago about the benefits of running post hip and knee replacements, including reports of how it was actually helping the implants last longer.

Pretty sure I can find an article proving Noah's Ark is real.  There's pretty much something out there to support any point of view you want.

Edit to add: I do not endorse running after hip and knee replacements.  I do endorse following the medical advice given to you.

I’ve worked as a porter in an orthopaedic ward at a rehab hospital and have seen plenty of patients with hip replacements. My understanding is that each orthopaedic surgeon has their preferred method of operating (posterior or anterior) but I think the quickest recovery was from anterior as it’s less invasive.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Edit to add: I do not endorse running after hip and knee replacements.  I do endorse following the medical advice given to you.

As above from goughy

https://www.arthritis-health.com/surgery/hip-surgery/anterior-vs-posterior-hip-replacement-surgeries

And after what I just saw on the news make sure they do the correct hip.😳

Edited by fiftyplus

I think most hips today are porcelain. Have you ever dropped a cup. Probably why they wont last long under the duress of running.

14 hours ago, oldave said:

Can you run on it now?  If so, why does it need to be replaced?  Or is it just getting really sore to run on?

A mate just dropped into my office & said his Mrs is getting hers done next week as the pain is very bad.  She is not a runner, but very fit an healthy (well for a vego - she looks like death, but is extremely lean = too lean IMO, into naturopath stuff, does gym, yoga, stretching etc).  Would not think she was the type of person who needs a hip replacement, but there you go.

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Can you run on it now?  If so, why does it need to be replaced?  Or is it just getting really sore to run on?

A mate just dropped into my office & said his Mrs is getting hers done next week as the pain is very bad.  She is not a runner, but very fit an healthy (well for a vego - she looks like death, but is extremely lean = too lean IMO, into naturopath stuff, does gym, yoga, stretching etc).  Would not think she was the type of person who needs a hip replacement, but there you go.

Maybe the vego thing caught up with her and she has weak bones.

Edited by trinube
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, trinube said:

Maybe the vego thing caught up with her and she has weak bones.

Good chance I reckon mate.  She says it is genetics but I'm not so sure having seen what becoming a vego did to her over the decades.  She went from a very fit looking aerobics instructor, to a scarecrow!

Total hips last a lot longer than traditional lore used to suggest. Back 30 years ago they lasted 10 years, now less than 5% need re-op at 15 years and surgeons are happy to replace hips much earlier as they have 20 year data on components showing they last that long.

young surgeons are training in anterior or superior/lateral approaches, implants are the same but the way you get it in makes a big difference to recovery, anterior and lateral doesn’t cut through your glutes and hip ligaments, no risk of dislocation and no restriction on sitting, bending the hip or crossing legs etc. My Mum has had one posterior, one super-path and the recovery was a world apart. She was back on her farm, driving and gardening etc at 6 weeks after her 2nd one. 

Regarding running there are very very few surgeons who would be happy for you to run. A paper which surveyed all arthroplasty surgeons in the states found golf, social doubles tennis and skiing were the most strenuous exercise choices widely suggested.

Birmingham Hip Resurfacing is an option for younger males who want to try to keep running. Tranny Slowman did Busso on one. They are metal on metal and need follow up testing to see if you have metal ions breaking down 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Customer said:

Andy Murray is doing ok

If i stood to win a lazy million or two I'd ignore the medicos and run on mine too! 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2019 at 9:20 PM, oldave said:

So how are you after the surgery?  I hope it went well & youre recoving at a good pace

• Like 2